Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by expert7700
unsure what cards include the service but in US I think all Signature and Infinite cards. The service implied that they bill the card issuer. They really encouraged me to use alernate cards and standsrd shipping, but my Chase Sapphire was the only one with primary rental car coverage.

My second guess to [MENTION=599574]canadiancow[/MENTION]'s riddle would have been that the $25 was an expedite fee from Chase Sapphire.
There is no $25.

That's the point. They charged me card $35, and the bill for Thomas was $35.

But I had 3 beers at $7 - $8 each. There's no way both bills could be $35.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Willie really needs to get out of this drooping slump.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Its a very specific pattern, so some connection may be lose.... It may recover with some retorquing of the screws.
I agree. $150 should fix it at most repair places.
I dropped my phone onto hardwood an hour back and touch does not work and it looks similar to your. Off to get it fixed/replaced on Mon. And my phone does not have a case either.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:52 pm

I've noticed both my Scotia and CIBC cards have a "freeze card" function on their app - it doesn't cancel card, but makes it unusable until reactivated or found. Not a US card option?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
I've noticed both my Scotia and CIBC cards have a "freeze card" function on their app - it doesn't cancel card, but makes it unusable until reactivated or found. Not a US card option?
Someone else had physical possession of my card and made a transaction with it. As soon as you tell the issuer "that transaction is not mine", you're getting a new number.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Someone else had physical possession of my card and made a transaction with it. As soon as you tell the issuer "that transaction is not mine", you're getting a new number.
I was forgetting about the next transaction. Had it just been the first bar, it would have been reasonable to wait to see if it turned up. I just hate the hassle of changing all the places it may be on file.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

I was forgetting about the next transaction. Had it just been the first bar, it would have been reasonable to wait to see if it turned up. I just hate the hassle of changing all the places it may be on file.
Luckily this card is only "better" than my next one for travel and dining, so aside from changing the saved number on airlines and hotels, it's not in too many places, and certainly doesn't have any automated payments.

The bigger issue will be memorizing the new number.

Expiry was 01/20, so it's only a year early.
nomadic.relief likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Luckily this card is only "better" than my next one for travel and dining, so aside from changing the saved number on airlines and hotels, it's not in too many places, and certainly doesn't have any automated payments.

I had my Amex scammed a few weeks back which they caught within 12 hrs. Very ingenious as the first transaction they put thru was for $20 to a go fund me for the California fires. Then a bunch of skip the dishes incl $150 on Swiss Chalet. I think the tipoff was when they used it on a Chinese ecomm site. Everything was reversed as fraud but pain to change card numbers.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by vernonc
$150 on Swiss Chalet
Mmm... all that Chalet Sauce. Good to dip my toenails into.
smallmj likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
There is no $25.

That's the point. They charged me card $35, and the bill for Thomas was $35.

But I had 3 beers at $7 - $8 each. There's no way both bills could be $35.
...but surely Thomas tipped on his bill. And maybe he was extra generous as the bill was lower than expected.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
RBC does this too. Granted it doesn't help in this case, but I still appreciate the option. Never saw it on any of my UK cards of which I still had several until very recently.

Do card numbers change on renewal? In the past, mine haven't afaik. Not my UK ones anyway. I once used a card I had "misplaced" as I had a photocopy of the old card and was able to guess the new expiry date (can't recall how I got around CVC unless that also didn't change, but I thought it did). I do remember when I did get a new updated card (better benefits and points) a few years ago I forget Netflix was on it, I found out when they blocked my account until I provided a working number. Ooops.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jc94
Do card numbers change on renewal? In the past, mine haven't afaik. Not my UK ones anyway. I once used a card I had "misplaced" as I had a photocopy of the old card and was able to guess the new expiry date (can't recall how I got around CVC unless that also didn't change, but I thought it did). I do remember when I did get a new updated card (better benefits and points) a few years ago I forget Netflix was on it, I found out when they blocked my account until I provided a working number. Ooops.
On renewal? No.

On a "fraud" claim? Yes.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by yyznomad
A doctor can prescribe a little blue pill for that...
vernonc likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by yyznomad
It highlights that he's not worth the money the Leafs ended up paying him.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Damn California with their FasTrak lanes...we were driving in an HOV lane following my GPS only to suddenly find the lane merging into a FasTrak lane. Solid white line to my right prevented me from changing lanes in time.

What's worse is I understand I can't pay for the violation directly. I have to wait for the rental car company to charge my credit card, inclusive of the car rental company's $25 USD fee.

All for maybe 500 meters...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.