Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pewpew
Remember when we thought Jack was SAP
I've still never seen them both at the same time.
pewpew, eigenvector, jc94 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've still never seen them both at the same time.
Cowspiracy
smallmj likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Wait, have we seen J2simpso and Jack at the same time? Jack keeps making excuses at his mini dos
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Something different about the raps this year... they have mettle even with key players on the DL.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
Wait, have we seen J2simpso and Jack at the same time? Jack keeps making excuses at his mini dos
I only show up for DOs immediately after a TATL or TPAC flight...kind of hard to miss 'em (unless UA or AC drop the ball so to speak and I have to SDC to pick up some extra miles)

-James
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:44 am

So this may have already appeared elsewhere, apologies if so, but I thought it was a pretty awesome gesture.

Canadian air traffic controllers send pizza to US counterparts
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I think it actually links to the account, not the number. My account stayed the same, so it was updated that way.

Otherwise it makes no sense.

Still unclear how it knew that the number had changed and to what. Sounds like a data / security snafu to me!
The bank is able to push updated information to your card in Google Pay/Apple Pay etc. as it is not a new account, just a new number. In reality all it did was send the last 4 digits of the new card to display. It can also re-provision a different device account number, but it doesn't have to as that number was not compromised.

Not sure what the 'security issue' is - this feature is by design.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:42 am

I found out I can get special student fares with ISIC today! Great, I can save some money on future long haul journeys... go to the site only to find out economy service is offered! No business or first class?! Don't these places understand that sometimes Grad students just wanna have fun

-James
pewpew likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I found out I can get special student fares with ISIC today! Great, I can save some money on future long haul journeys... go to the site only to find out economy service is offered! No business or first class?! Don't these places understand that sometimes Grad students just wanna have fun

-James
Probably wanna make sure these fares earns AQM as well
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Probably wanna make sure these fares earns AQM as well
AQM? What's that? The fare code seems legit, I'm hoping it shows up as a consolidator fare since for non-UA stock you'll often earn RDM based on milage flown as opposed to dollars spent often with generous elite bonuses on top as sweetener (and I need all the sweetener I need with my stroopwafel on the next UA flight )! Will experiment with an LX flight later this month!

-James
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I only show up for DOs immediately after a TATL or TPAC flight...kind of hard to miss 'em (unless UA or AC drop the ball so to speak and I have to SDC to pick up some extra miles)
Just avoid LX then.

Originally Posted by D582
The bank is able to push updated information to your card in Google Pay/Apple Pay etc. as it is not a new account, just a new number. In reality all it did was send the last 4 digits of the new card to display. It can also re-provision a different device account number, but it doesn't have to as that number was not compromised.
Interesting, thanks.

AQM? What's that? The fare code seems legit, I'm hoping it shows up as a consolidator fare since for non-UA stock you'll often earn RDM based on milage flown as opposed to dollars spent often with generous elite bonuses on top as sweetener (and I need all the sweetener I need with my stroopwafel on the next UA flight )! Will experiment with an LX flight later this month!
Too late. Okay don't book a DO after that one.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Shockingly, specials for students are ways for the airlines to extract some coin our of a chronically poor group of people. If you've got enough coin to fly regular rates, then the airlines would be quite happy to take your non-poor student money.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I'm still new to travel, particularly on non *A carriers. Just experienced an absolute shock when I booked a trip MEX-MTY with preferred seating and advanced boarding for under $100 CAD.

Granted, I've never heard of the carrier and I'm sure it will be miserable, but still. That's freaking cheap.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:51 pm

Just avoid LX then.

Too late. Okay don't book a DO after that one.
The plan is to fly LX "domestic" from LHR/LCY > ZRH on a cheap k fare to get in some hiking during the brief lull I have in studies Also what's wrong with Swiss? Their trains run on time, surely their planes will?! When was the last time a Swiss airline went bankrupt and left thousands of people stranded... never mind

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I'm still new to travel, particularly on non *A carriers. Just experienced an absolute shock when I booked a trip MEX-MTY with preferred seating and advanced boarding for under $100 CAD.

Granted, I've never heard of the carrier and I'm sure it will be miserable, but still. That's freaking cheap.
Meh. I wouldn't call that cheap, in lesser developed markets the fares are cheap cause the competition is the bus! Heck, even AC from time to time has some ÉrrorPlan fare sales like this one from HKG to IAD for

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
The plan is to fly LX "domestic" from LHR/LCY > ZRH on a cheap k fare to get in some hiking during the brief lull I have in studies Also what's wrong with Swiss? Their trains run on time, surely their planes will?! When was the last time a Swiss airline went bankrupt and left thousands of people stranded... never mind

Meh. I wouldn't call that cheap, in lesser developed markets the fares are cheap cause the competition is the bus! Heck, even AC from time to time has some ÉrrorPlan fare sales like this one from HKG to IAD for $170 USD return

Safe Travels,

James
LX cheap fares generally don't credit anywhere -- they have a great lounge in ZRH E terminal (where long hauls leave from) though. Which OTA are you using for ISIC fares? I never found any of those websites to actually be cheaper than regular price

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.