Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
At least you will have that free beverage to help drown your sorrows.
The lounge already does that for me lmao
Old Oct 19, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by canopus27
Interesting.

I was just outside my house (north of Toronto) and heard an oddly loud rumble. It sounded like a plane, but the only flights that normally go directly over my house are typically in cruise, so although you can hear them during a quiet night it's unusual to hear one during the day ... and it's even more unusual for the noise to be loud enough that it's the first thing to attract your attention.

Anyway, I looked around ... and sure enough, directly overhead but clearly at cruise altitude, was a plane. This is where flightaware is so cool ... I pulled out my phone, opened the flightaware app, and found the plane

It's a 777-200LR, a Lufthansa cargo jet, on it's way from Frankfurt to Mexico city (flightaware link). But what I found particularly interesting was that just as it was passing overhead, flightaware shows that it was climbing from 34,000 to 36,000 ... so I presume they had added a reasonable amount of additional throttle to accomplish the climb -- and that's why I heard them.

I'm not sure what's cooler ... that a German freighter on it's way to Mexico just flew directly over my house ... that I was able to identify said freighter, so quickly ... or that I could actively hear them climbing. There's certainly no shortage of information in today's world
Is it possible that there was another aircraft nearby not being tracked by Flightaware? FL340 is like 10km away from you. If you are 10km away from YYZ you won’t hear any aircraft taking off. Inverse square law applies to acoustic wave power, which means at 10km away the power is only 1/100 of the power at 1km.

On another note though, I live right under the approach/departure path of the runway, aircrafts typically fly over at 3000-5000ft. I do notice that aircrafts like MD88, B757, MD11 are significantly louder than others, especially on take off.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
I suppose it's possible ...

But I'm 100% confident that I can & do hear planes from that altitude; many's the time that I've sat in the back yard (or on the lake while on my boat, Canopus), at night in the summer, and watched planes in cruise fly overhead - and there's absolutely a distant but very distinct roar that accompanies them. I live far enough North of Toronto that there's no real residual background noise to drown the sound out.

What was unusual this evening was that (1) it wasn't late at night, and (2) the sound was still in the background, but certainly louder than I usually hear.

So. I'm entirely confident that I heard a plane noise today, louder than usual but very consistent with the sounds I usually hear from planes at altitude. I'm also very confident that the noise made me look up, identity a plane which seemed to be the source, and then (based on both location and direction) confirm the plane I saw was the one I linked (the Lufthansa cargo).

There's no real doubt in my mind about either of those facts.

There is absolutely the potential that just as I heard an unusually loud plane noise, and observed a plane overhead ... that those two events were actually unrelated, and what I heard was an entirely different plane.

I can't rule that it.

I'll remind you that you're talking to a plane geek who regularly sits in his back yard and watches (and hears) high flying planes move overhead ... and I still believe that the plane I saw this evening, was the one that I heard ... but can I be 100% certain of that? No, I cannot be.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:21 pm

Looks like I am not the only one who stares at the sky looking and listening for airplanes. I live in the city so I don’t recall hearing aircrafts in cruise. But when aircraft climbs it indeed gets noticeably louder, to the point that it even woke me up a few times while I was sleeping on-board, so if you are in a area quiet enough to hear aircrafts 10km away, it’s possible that you can notice the difference.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:27 pm

You need to come out on my boat at night sometime

Bohemian1 and 24left like this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:30 pm

You need to come out on my boat at night sometime
Observing Canopus on Canopus with Canopus?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by songsc
Observing Canopus on Canopus with Canopus?

Exactly.
songsc likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
I live in downtown Toronto, and every weekend for a couple of months now, we hear / see what appears to be an old (WWII) warplane overhead, flying from the north into the city on Saturday (around 10am) and flying out of the city on Sunday afternoon.
It seems to fly only in good weather, during daylight hours, and is likely only single-engine from the sound.
More often than not, it is on its own. Less frequently, it's flying with an old bomber.
I keep meaning to figure out what this mystery plane is every weekend whenever I hear it.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by SteadyAT
I live in downtown Toronto, and every weekend for a couple of months now, we hear / see what appears to be an old (WWII) warplane overhead, flying from the north into the city on Saturday (around 10am) and flying out of the city on Sunday afternoon.
It seems to fly only in good weather, during daylight hours, and is likely only single-engine from the sound.
More often than not, it is on its own. Less frequently, it's flying with an old bomber.
I keep meaning to figure out what this mystery plane is every weekend whenever I hear it.
Not sure about the single engine fighter, but the bomber is a quad engine Lancaster built in UK during WWII. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Lancaster

Saw it last Saturday.
SteadyAT likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:04 pm

Not sure about the single engine fighter, but the bomber is a quad engine Lancaster built in UK during WWII. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Lancaster

Saw it last Saturday.
Thanks! Do you know the reason for its weekend flights? (I work from home, so I know they're not flying on weekdays.) We figure they may be associated with the Warplane Heritage Museum potentially.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:08 pm

Saw it last Saturday.
Woah, there's a Lancaster bomber flying into Toronto regularly? I'm feeling a DO coming on
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:13 pm

Thanks! Do you know the reason for its weekend flights? (I work from home, so I know they're not flying on weekdays.) We figure they may be associated with the Warplane Heritage Museum potentially.
Yes, it belongs to the Warplane Heritage Museum based at YHM. The fighter is likely one of its airworthy fighters. Not sure the reason though, but I haven’t checked on their website either.

Woah, there's a Lancaster bomber flying into Toronto regularly? I'm feeling a DO coming on
YHM DO?
https://www.warplane.com/
canopus27 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:20 pm

A seat on the Avro Lancaster for a 60 minute ride is $3600 CAD!!! (It says you get a $1500 tax receipt.)
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:26 pm

A seat on the Avro Lancaster for a 60 minute ride is $3600 CAD!!! (It says you get a $1500 tax receipt.)
Oh, TPAC J tickets feel so cheap now. Luckily my interest in heritage airplane is not that strong, or...

But if I can get a seat in the glass noise, then...
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:27 pm

I'm unreasonably tempted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.