Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delayed bag for paid J SE+E75K

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jjclancy
Sorry, I confused you with a no-status Tango pax.

Perhaps the staff in TLV did too. Is there a chance you neglected to mention that it was Paid J and that you are a SE and that your companion is an E75K?
He doesn't have MM.

That's their downfall.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I'm kinda curious about why you are so concerned about expenses being pre-approved. You need socks and underwear for tomorrow, you buy socks and underwear for tomorrow. Air Canada will or will not reimburse you. The CC will or not reimburse you. But tomorrows need is there regardless of getting reimbursed. Its not like you need an emergency Fabergé Egg.

For tracking, of course things could be better. I note that ordering things from China, there are 37 lines, then "left for international destination", "accepted by Canada Post (Vancouver)" followed by "delivered", which happens +/- 2 days of actual delivery.

Its reasonable to assume that AC IT knows their Amadeus schedule, and if flipping a checkbox will enable the already industry proven backend, api and website module will make that work. The mechanical problem of data collection may already be done, just dumping to something not suitable for being attached to public access. Or its not done, and they are worried about it, but a schedule based on Amadeus. Or they aren't worried about it and Amadeus will change nothing, because SNAFU, PAX.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
That would nice, but I don't know enough about the inner workings of AC's baggage handling system. I'm sure others can speculate.
Why should one cut them some "slack" if AC cannot advise if bags are not loaded? Doesn't this speak to the quality of security as well?
The reason why there is no slack cutting is that AC claims to its investors it is high quality and competes with the quality Asian carriers (e.g. NH, BR, CX). Yet, it cannot provide a prompt and timely manner in which to advice clients that it has failed to load baggage; that it still cannot unload baggage in a timely manner at most Canadian airports, that it REFUSES to properly staff its baggage desks and that it REFUSES to offer a proper 24/7 baggage call center/help line. I would not be so harsh if there was at the very least some effort made to help passengers. It is unacceptable that the typical passenger is left to fend for her/himself when the bags go missing. It's wonderful that SE100's are delicately handled and satisfied. For the 95% of other pax, including those who paid more than the SE, there is little real time help offered. Try flying as a basic Gold pax or non status business class pax and see how you are treated. It is not pleasant.
KenHamer and arf04 like this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:47 am

Dear Canadian Cow,

Welcome to Israel and sorry about such a bad first day. I hope it gets much better after this bad start.

I am going to send you a direct message about a privacy issue in one of your posts.

All the outlet malls outside of the cities are open on Saturdays. Where are you located? I can point you to the nearest mall.

Enjoy the remainder of your stay!
canadiancow and 24left like this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
In my years of checking bags either two
myself (not often) or one of my own and one with a friend/relative etc they have never arrived together.

The one time they did? I flew YYZ MEX and my friend flew LHR YYZ MEX. On separate tickets.

Not that this helps, but I thought it salient as I know many here never check. Or end up having a ridiculously low success rate. On the experience of others AC normally delivers bags in 2-3 days to an E50 on paid Intl J. That’s if they know where it is.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Thanks for the welcome. Things here have been fun so far, though the weather isn't great.

Worldtracer says the bag was on AC 84 that landed a couple hours ago.

There's been no contact since the last email I posted.

@RangerNS, there's a difference in what I'll spend if I need a shirt now, but don't want to invest time in finding something good and of value. If it's out of my pocket, it either needs to be something I'll continue to wear, or it needs to be very cheap. If someone else is paying, I'm much more willing to spend as little time as possible on the shopping spree. Bovine is almost certainly going to throw out some of the stuff he bought because it's just not good enough to keep.

I think that's my main issue with this whole thing. That they couldn't just say "you have $150 for the first 24 hours, and we'll keep you updated". It required asking too many people.

I've learned about the Montreal Convention rules now, which I hope to never need again, as they would have let me not ask for permission
Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've learned about the Montreal Convention rules now, which I hope to never need again, as they would have let me not ask for permission
There was a recent similar CBC news story:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air...mits-1.4933798

Mr. Lukacs did a follow up interview on an Edmonton radio station that I found quite interesting. For the benefit of those unfamiliar with the Montreal Convention (assuming you’re on an international flight), basically what was said in the interview was:
  • you don’t need pre-authorization from the airline before submitting claim, but be aware of time limits.
  • You can spend what is reasonable for the circumstances (ie if you’re travelling for a wedding purchasing/renting a suit may be reasonable). Not up to airline to determine what is reasonable - it is up to a judge (see below).
  • Submit copies of your receipts (keep your originals) and tell airline you’re submitting based on Montreal Convention, etc.
  • if airline refuses to pay, take them to small claims court, you’ll likely get everything you submitted for (plus court costs), provided everything is legitimate. It is up to a judge to decide what expenses are reasonable. Hopefully it won’t come to that provided you’ve laid out your claim for reimbursement under convention with your initial submission to airline.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Thanks for the welcome. Things here have been fun so far, though the weather isn't great.

Worldtracer says the bag was on AC 84 that landed a couple hours ago.

There's been no contact since the last email I posted.

[MENTION=843627
I think that's my main issue with this whole thing. That they couldn't just say "you have $150 for the first 24 hours, and we'll keep you updated". It required asking too many people.

I would have just gone out and bought what I wanted and worried about it later. I get it if a once a year flyer does not know what to do, but for SE with all that flying?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mapleg
I would have just gone out and bought what I wanted and worried about it later. I get it if a once a year flyer does not know what to do, but for SE with all that flying?
I've checked well under 10 bags in the past 5 years. The last time I had an issue, giving me a budget for the first 24 hours was the first thing the baggage agent did after filing a claim.

Expecting an SE to know every operational nuance because they fly a lot is like expecting you to know the layout of YQY. If you fly there 10x/year, sure.
BlondeBomber and SteadyAT like this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
Thank you for sharing your delayed bag tale. This thread has taught me a lot about my rights if my bag is delayed. Considering that I rarely check a bag, I would have also relied on the AC baggage agents to provide me with accurate information on compensation.
And if anything, your experience just affirms my tendency to travel with carry-on only, but I know for some trips, it's unavoidable.
Regardless, I hope your companion's bag is delivered to you soon!
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
This shows Gabor Lukacs who is often maligned here on this forum for fighting for "our" passenger rights, at some point his action will benefit all of us, whether we are SE, E75K or nobody. This is a perfect example of what airlines will try to get away with. When we have status especially SE, often we think we are going to get taken care of. Well, wrong. Sorry it happened to you Cow, but this is what hundreds of people every week go through and they don't ever get any follow up communication never mind the extra effort by concierge that you got. Money to buy clothes? Forget about it. Try writing in to customer service, we have all been told. Most bags do show up within 72 hours even though there is no scan. Have faith that it will show up soon.

Last edited by Sunny Day; Dec 29, 2018 at 1:03 pm
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Gabor fights for a lot of stuff I believe in, and a lot of stuff I don't.

Baggage delays cause demonstrable monetary (replacement cost) and non monetary (time to replace) damages.

But it seems there's already a law in place for this, and it would have been much easier had it simply been disclosed.

World tracer says delivery initiated, but the hotel doesn't have it yet.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SteadyAT
Thank you for sharing your delayed bag tale. This thread has taught me a lot about my rights if my bag is delayed. Considering that I rarely check a bag, I would have also relied on the AC baggage agents to provide me with accurate information on compensation.
And if anything, your experience just affirms my tendency to travel with carry-on only, but I know for some trips, it's unavoidable.
Regardless, I hope your companion's bag is delivered to you soon!
Agreed.

Like cow, I can count with my fingers the number of times I've checked a bag, ever.

And AC has lost my bags twice.

Although some here admonish @canadiancow for going to certain lengths well within his right (how dare you, cow! how dare you!), I appreciate his information/experience sharing.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
It has been a few years since I checked a bag and even then I was forced to do so when they insisted on weighing the bag. But good lesson about checking bags.

i understand the emphasis on paid J and SE and about to be SE E75, illustrating that they should be getting service without these hitches, but i would argue that really anyone should be getting better service. Even those in basic economy and pay 60(?) to should check a bag should get better service and support.

I would hope that anyone who has their bag lost would have a legitimate complaint. We should never get to the point where only paid J or SE get decent service.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YXUhomebase
It has been a few years since I checked a bag and even then I was forced to do so when they insisted on weighing the bag. But good lesson about checking bags.

i understand the emphasis on paid J and SE and about to be SE E75, illustrating that they should be getting service without these hitches, but i would argue that really anyone should be getting better service. Even those in basic economy and pay 60(?) to should check a bag should get better service and support.

I would hope that anyone who has their bag lost would have a legitimate complaint. We should never get to the point where only paid J or SE get decent service.
You mean you don't know?

S100K is tantamount to human being.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.