Delayed bag for paid J SE+E75K

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lallied
But do you have the bag now ??
Not yet, but we're returning to the hotel shortly to check again.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Bell boy said it wasn't here.

It was waiting in the room.
lallied likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Bell boy said it wasn't here.

It was waiting in the room.
That's good, but a (Canadian) cow and a bovine traveling together? And does your traveling companion know that you think of him as a bovine?

BTW, DL has a great bag tracker, combined with 2500 redeemable miles if a domestic bag doesn't arrive within 20 minutes (which I was only once able to claim, although I do watch the clock tick down on the guarantee and sometimes almost hope that the bag doesn't arrive on time). My most recent experience with a lost bag was a DL to AF connection at CDG, and it was horrible to deal with AF in that I got very conflicting information about where the bag was and when it would be delivered (or should I return to the airport to search for it myself?) with at least several opportunities per day as the last leg was a intraEU flight. They never did tell me what would be a reasonable amount or otherwise advise me of any rights I might have beyond the baggage office amenity kit.

In some situations, hotel dry cleaning and laundry express service can help, as can the list of amenities that the hotel can provide for free or to borrow from housekeeping. A good hotel concierge can advise you on good nearby shopping places for what you want or even fetch some items for you. YMMV.

I agree with your philosophy of either going super cheap or purchasing items that you want to keep and use (depending somewhat on your plans for the trip of course, with cheap not being suitable for some occasions). Sometimes there's also a problem of finding clothes locally that fit, such as when a big and tall guy is forced to shop in many places in Asia or when alterations are normally needed.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That's good, but a (Canadian) cow and a bovine traveling together? And does your traveling companion know that you think of him as a bovine?
If you follow this forum enough, you'll know that AmericanBovine knows.
jc94 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
BTW, DL has a great bag tracker, combined with 2500 redeemable miles if a domestic bag doesn't arrive within 20 minutes (which I was only once able to claim, although I do watch the clock tick down on the guarantee and sometimes almost hope that the bag doesn't arrive on time).
I don't think I've ever received a bag less than 20 minutes from gate arrival at YYZ.
jerry305 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
I'm perplexed by all the claims of people checking a bag 5/10 times in 10 years and having 2 incidents. I have checked bags 5-10 times a year with AC for the past 15 years, and have had exactly two delayed bags. One came on the following flight one hour later, so I just waited at the airport. The second one was delivered the following day. I've had plenty of IRROPS / reroutings, but my checked bags always stuck with me through thick and thin.

I fly 4-5 airlines with certain regularity, and AC has the best record of getting my bags on the same plane I'm flying by far (getting them out on the carrousel in a reasonable time frame is another matter). At the other end of the spectrum, British Airways managed to lose three of my bags on three different consecutive connections through LHR. One of them was not delivered for 9 days. The problem was easily fixed by never flying BA again.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I always check bags (even if all I have is a a carry-on weighing 20 lb) because I can, and because I have less to schlep through lounges and such and I don't need to worry about fitting all my liquid cosmetics into a 1L bag. Obviously, I am lying down on the metaphorical train tracks but my experience has not been bad, in terms of getting the bags eventually. I have had delayed bags (1 to 5 days) three times I can recall, in the last 200 flights or so.

The bad experiences are two.

First, AC bag tracing phone number is misinformed, chronically lying, or both since they will say they don't know where it is, claim they have it, ask what it looks like, and say it will be there tomorrow all in consecutive breaths while the bag is actually sitting on my porch. The real time tracking of other airlines, let alone any courier, puts AC to shame. As a tangent from this point, they authorize the delivery people to just drop your bag without any securement or signature. Combined with not telling you that they have it and it's being delivered means that it could sit there not secured until it disappears a second time, for good. My house porch is above eye level from the sidewalk so not in complete plain view, but my apartment door is right on the main path to the pool and spa. They could leave it with the leasing office right next door, but they don't. I felt lucky it was still there when I opened my door.

Second, AC will not admit to knowing about the Montreal Convention and will try all kinds of gambits. The key is to (a) know your rights, and (b) do not ask for authorization. Buy what you NEED based on what you had packed in the missing bag and now do not have. After some pushback, I was reimbursed for a suit in my home base because what was in the bag was needed for my next trip. When it was time to check in for the next flight, I could not wait any longer for the missing bag to turn up, so I bought a suit comparable to what was in the bag. Getting what you need and trusting the Montreal Convention doesn't mean head to Rodeo Drive and kick up your heels to some maximum authorization. It means if you need underwear, get it. If you need a nice dress shirt because you are going to a meeting, get it. If you ask, and they say "no", now you have muddied your claim because now you have to explain why you acted contrary to what they told you.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Agreed.

Like cow, I can count with my fingers the number of times I've checked a bag, ever.

And AC has lost my bags twice.

Although some here admonish @canadiancow for going to certain lengths well within his right (how dare you, cow! how dare you!), I appreciate his information/experience sharing.
Originally Posted by Mauricio23
I'm perplexed by all the claims of people checking a bag 5/10 times in 10 years and having 2 incidents. I have checked bags 5-10 times a year with AC for the past 15 years, and have had exactly two delayed bags. One came on the following flight one hour later, so I just waited at the airport. The second one was delivered the following day. I've had plenty of IRROPS / reroutings, but my checked bags always stuck with me through thick and thin.

I fly 4-5 airlines with certain regularity, and AC has the best record of getting my bags on the same plane I'm flying by far (getting them out on the carrousel in a reasonable time frame is another matter). At the other end of the spectrum, British Airways managed to lose three of my bags on three different consecutive connections through LHR. One of them was not delivered for 9 days. The problem was easily fixed by never flying BA again.
I believe I am one of these people whose claims you are perplexed with.

I didn't state an opinion at all about AC baggage handling... I simply stated my experiences as a data point.

So if this still perplexes you, I have nothing more to add. Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
How does one make a delayed or lost luggage claim through Montreal Convention? Write AC customer solutions and submit receipts? Any first hand experience?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:59 pm

I sent my receipts and explanation of the situation. They replied saying "while we try to deliver bags with you, sometimes we can't and hey, you're at your home base so we don't give you anything. thank you for flying with us." and I wrote back and said while I am home, the clothing I need to pack is not, and they wrote back "as a special exception, here's $100." and on the back of the cheque, the stamp you sign to endorse payment says "I hereby relieve AC of further obligations" or something like that. So I did not cash it and wrote them AGAIN saying "explain to me how the Montreal Convention does not apply here, because it specifically says ..." and I got a cheque for the rest of the expenses (i.e., original claim minus $100) with no covering letter or anything. I deposited the two cheques and it was done.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Originally Posted by flyquiet
I sent my receipts and explanation of the situation. They replied saying "while we try to deliver bags with you, sometimes we can't and hey, you're at your home base so we don't give you anything. thank you for flying with us." and I wrote back and said while I am home, the clothing I need to pack is not, and they wrote back "as a special exception, here's $100." and on the back of the cheque, the stamp you sign to endorse payment says "I hereby relieve AC of further obligations" or something like that. So I did not cash it and wrote them AGAIN saying "explain to me how the Montreal Convention does not apply here, because it specifically says ..." and I got a cheque for the rest of the expenses (i.e., original claim minus $100) with no covering letter or anything. I deposited the two cheques and it was done.
The "you are at home now therefore you have everything you need" argument was used by AC last time it happened to me. I didn't pursue it. Thank you very much for sharing. Your verbiage may come in handy one day, you just never know.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet
Second, AC will not admit to knowing about the Montreal Convention and will try all kinds of gambits. The key is to (a) know your rights, and (b) do not ask for authorization. Buy what you NEED based on what you had packed in the missing bag and now do not have. After some pushback, I was reimbursed for a suit in my home base because what was in the bag was needed for my next trip. When it was time to check in for the next flight, I could not wait any longer for the missing bag to turn up, so I bought a suit comparable to what was in the bag. Getting what you need and trusting the Montreal Convention doesn't mean head to Rodeo Drive and kick up your heels to some maximum authorization. It means if you need underwear, get it. If you need a nice dress shirt because you are going to a meeting, get it. If you ask, and they say "no", now you have muddied your claim because now you have to explain why you acted contrary to what they told you.
So really (if I interpret what you say correctly), is that in the event of an IRROP where the Montreal Convention applies, no need to deal with AC? Book your own hotel, buy whatever you need if bags are late, eat whatever you want within the permitted amount?

The terms "damage" and "delay" in the Convention seem pretty open to interpretation...
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:50 pm

I would not be giving people advice about the hotel and food and such - I only know the provisions for lost and delayed bags as they applied to me.
A colleague recently was left without bags on a Xmas break trip to EU and I sent him this link, which is pretty much the general information I was using at the time (although my case predated this person's blog post - which is not me).
https://dcta.boardingarea.com/2016/1...ntion-baggage/
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
How is it that my checked bags on complex itineraries from home to places like MQX, BIR, USU and XKH unfailingly arrive at the same time I do?

I've checked well under 10 bags in the past 5 years. The last time I had an issue, giving me a budget for the first 24 hours was the first thing the baggage agent did after filing a claim.

Expecting an SE to know every operational nuance because they fly a lot is like expecting you to know the layout of YQY. If you fly there 10x/year, sure.
Ordinary SE members, perhaps. But for a person who claims to read every single post in this forum, and who is well known for diving deep into the supremely arcane subtleties of every rule, regulation and policy, I find claims of nescience curious.

"I'm sorry you have no underwear, but we can't authorize you to spend any money on replacements" is not reasonable or sufficient. For any passenger. But the fact that they'd do it to premium pax speaks volumes.
Should people who need authorization to replace missing undergarments be allowed to travel unsupervised?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
He doesn't have MM.

That's their downfall.
I've heard from reliable sources that SEs and MMs are a dime a dozen!

Originally Posted by RangerNS
I'm kinda curious about why you are so concerned about expenses being pre-approved. You need socks and underwear for tomorrow, you buy socks and underwear for tomorrow. Air Canada will or will not reimburse you. The CC will or not reimburse you. But tomorrows need is there regardless of getting reimbursed. Its not like you need an emergency Fabergé Egg.
Agree with RangerNS here. Any halfway decent credit card gives you lost baggage insurance when your bags don't show up after x number of hours. May as well make use of the perk and get what you need. The last thing you want to worry about travelling long haul in a foreign country are the dollars and cents.

-James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.