Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC vs NZ to Australia; AC 787 non-stop vs Air NZ 777 via AKL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC vs NZ to Australia; AC 787 non-stop vs Air NZ 777 via AKL?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: AC MM E50, AF Flying Blue
Originally Posted by tobegold
What are the issues with transiting AKL?
Yes, I'm curious, what are they?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by run&fly
Yes, I'm curious, what are they?
I can't speak for anyone else. I've been to/through there 4 times in the past year, twice last month.

While not a big airport, the renovations in the departure area have been going on for the year that I've been through there. Why it takes so long, no idea.
Also, if you don't have lounge access, the cluttered retail and food places and the noise and circular design can be annoying.

When you arrive on a flight into AKL, it's weird that you have to go through the duty free and all that to get to the long hallway to get out, or to transfer security.

If you are transferring, either there is no one in that line or the line is long and there was only one machine and well, you get the picture.
Then up the escalator to departures. Again. And also before the escalator, some other security for random swabbing. Not as exciting as it sounds and more time wasted.

The NZ lounge in the international departures is insanely packed. The bouncer at the desk outside turns people away, sending them to some other contract lounge.

But by far the most annoying for some is if you arrive or depart to the U.S. Due to U.S. Secure Flight rules, all those flights regardless of airline have been moved to a remote pier. It was pretty ugh in June, but definitely improved a few weeks ago. But it's a wasteland and there is that second level of security, which doesn't open until they say it opens, so you essentially sit in a holding area. The NZers are not happy with this as the country is paying for it and it's a challenge for some with mobility issues.

Those are just my recent experiences but others may have different ones to offer.

BTW, none of this would stop me from going back - on NZ or AC if they ever offer it. No airport is perfect and now that I've been there a few times, I know what to do.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: AC MM E50, AF Flying Blue
Originally Posted by 24left
I can't speak for anyone else. I've been to/through there 4 times in the past year, twice last month.

While not a big airport, the renovations in the departure area have been going on for the year that I've been through there. Why it takes so long, no idea.
Also, if you don't have lounge access, the cluttered retail and food places and the noise and circular design can be annoying.

When you arrive on a flight into AKL, it's weird that you have to go through the duty free and all that to get to the long hallway to get out, or to transfer security.

If you are transferring, either there is no one in that line or the line is long and there was only one machine and well, you get the picture.
Then up the escalator to departures. Again. And also before the escalator, some other security for random swabbing. Not as exciting as it sounds and more time wasted.

The NZ lounge in the international departures is insanely packed. The bouncer at the desk outside turns people away, sending them to some other contract lounge.

But by far the most annoying for some is if you arrive or depart to the U.S. Due to U.S. Secure Flight rules, all those flights regardless of airline have been moved to a remote pier. It was pretty ugh in June, but definitely improved a few weeks ago. But it's a wasteland and there is that second level of security, which doesn't open until they say it opens, so you essentially sit in a holding area. The NZers are not happy with this as the country is paying for it and it's a challenge for some with mobility issues.

Those are just my recent experiences but others may have different ones to offer.

BTW, none of this would stop me from going back - on NZ or AC if they ever offer it. No airport is perfect and now that I've been there a few times, I know what to do.
OK, thanks. I am still debating whether I'll do the YVR-AKL NZ direct or AC through SYD as I usually do... My final destination is not AKL, so in the end, same number of flights but a little longer...
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by run&fly
OK, thanks. I am still debating whether I'll do the YVR-AKL NZ direct or AC through SYD as I usually do... My final destination is not AKL, so in the end, same number of flights but a little longer...
I've flown in and out of AKL on AA, QF, NZ, SQ and UA.

As other may say, price and schedule on AC etc, or whatever Aeroplan has.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K
I have to +1 24left's note here. I haven't been recently but have done 6 North America - Australia shuffles through AKL over the years. A few of my worst connection experiences have been at AKL. Once an overzealous screener confiscated my entire bag of toiletries (which fit in the standard Canadian style baggie) because one bottle had no 100 ml sizing on it. It was clearly less than 100ml and in the previous couple weeks I had been through SFO/LAX/YVR/YYZ etc with that same bottle. No rhyme or reason about *why* they took it (as well as all other toiletries), and I wasn't in the mood to get detained over it. As 24left said the transfer process is usually marked by long lines.

Second - I am 50/50 on getting access to the lounge. Sometimes you just get forced off to a lesser lounge.

Third - The morning AKL-SYD flights are insane. Boarding is really poor generally and they're always super crowded and often delayed, but to be fair that's usually SYD's issue, but it seems like the trans-Tasman flights often get shafted with slots at SYD when there are IRROPS.

My preferred method to Australia has been YVR-BNE. Often cheaper, BNE is a smaller airport which is nice to transfer through and the long distance leg is shorter. Just my 2 cents. Obviously it's pretty close because I do it too, but I think I'd pass now that I have done it a few times.
24left likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:32 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by YYCYYZ
My preferred method to Australia has been YVR-BNE. Often cheaper, BNE is a smaller airport which is nice to transfer through and the long distance leg is shorter. Just my 2 cents. Obviously it's pretty close because I do it too, but I think I'd pass now that I have done it a few times.
The AC staff at BNE are excellent. Even stopped by the lounge to suggest when to come down and held one desk open just for Zone 1s even after Zone 2 boarding had begun. Great people!
24left likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Offering a counterpoint to the negative AKL experiences above, I've always had a fine airport experience when arriving or departing New Zealand. Nothing spectacular, nothing terrible nor annoying sticks out for me. I haven't actually done a simple transit there since 2003, so I can't offer a recent assessment of that process, nor have I flown there on a US carrier if that makes a difference.

Construction, inconsistent screening, overcrowding and running the retail gauntlet are realities of most successful airports. Some of these variables can vary from day to day.

To the OP, the flight itself is where the real comfort or pain will be felt. It seems the onboard space and service are greater with NZ, and I'd be inclined to opt for them.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:50 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
I would agree with all the above about AKL and would avoid it because the building work has stopped it being the antiroom to hell and turned it in to hell.

This maybe just me but I don't experience it anywhere else outside NZ, I find staff at AKL very full of their own importance, determined to enforce petty rules that you'd never heard of and arrogant about how wonderful they are when in fact they are a bad advert for what is otherwise a beautiful place. IMO the only worse place is CHC.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
....I haven't actually done a simple transit there since 2003, so I can't offer a recent assessment of that process, nor have I flown there on a US carrier if that makes a difference......
Exactly. You haven't done a simple transit there since 2003.

And since the discussion was based on this statement by @Dover2Golf, where others asked why, a few of use who have been there recently and/or repeatedly provided our experiences.

Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
I would take any option that avoids a transit of AKL, an airport I regard as the anti-room to hell.

That said, I agree the NZ experience is likely to be marginally better than the AC one but on balance that would still not get me to transit AKL.
And this

Originally Posted by lhrpete
I would agree with all the above about AKL and would avoid it because the building work has stopped it being the antiroom to hell and turned it in to hell.

This maybe just me but I don't experience it anywhere else outside NZ, I find staff at AKL very full of their own importance, determined to enforce petty rules that you'd never heard of and arrogant about how wonderful they are when in fact they are a bad advert for what is otherwise a beautiful place. IMO the only worse place is CHC.

So while a couple of us detailed our transit experiences, a few here thought it a place to avoid.

My conclusion is: it's not terrible. We've all been to worse. If you want to visit AKL and at least part of NZ, you may have to go through AKL. The point is whether you fly AC via SYD or Aeroplan on NZ via the U.S. or other, all this thread does is provide insight and info so people can make a more informed decision.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by 24left
Exactly. You haven't done a simple transit there since 2003.
I'm left wondering what the implication is. I've flown a lot to and from Auckland. Some peoples' assessments of the airport are frankly exaggerated and misleading. The quote above implies that landing at AKL and departing AKL doesn't entitle one to an opinion on the airport as much as somebody who stays within the building.

Many of us hold varying opinions on topics. Personally, I see lots of positives when I travel and don't experience the same annoyances as others.

It's ok to allow that to happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.