Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Premium Rouge versus Mainline Premium Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

I'm trying to decide between these options for the transatlantic leg of a Europe trip. The choice is between Premium Rouge on a 763, and Premium Economy on a 787-900; the price is the same for both, # of legs to my final destination is the same (2 legs), and total travel time is roughly the same (only 30 minutes different). Leaving aside the issue of the choice of connecting airport in Europe, I'd appreciate advice as to which is the better option between premium rouge and premium economy, and why.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Since non-stop is not an option, I would ask which airport(s) are under consideration for your point of connection?

787:
*Newer Aircraft
*AVOD - Panasonic ex3
*No WiFi (it's on the way)
*Duty Free

767:
*Smaller Cabin (18 versus 21 on 787) with dedicated Crew Member
*Steaming Video & WiFi (Progressively being installed)
*No Duty Free

Last edited by ACYYZ/SD; Jun 20, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: TK*G, AC
There was a recent thread discussing the same topic. Wasn't a complete consensus but it seems like Premium Rouge was the winner.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Tifosi
There was a recent thread discussing the same topic. Wasn't a complete consensus but it seems like Premium Rouge was the winner.
I think that was based on a non-stop flight versus connecting.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

I'm leaving the connecting airports out of the equation for my decision - I've been through both (WAW versus FRA) on relatively recent trips and I'm fine with either, I'm more concerned with the quality of the TATL flight experience itself (seat comfort, leg room, service, food). I normally fly J on at least the overnight TATL leg so that I can get some sleep in a lie flat, but sadly that's not an option this time!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:07 pm

Does Premium Rouge get you into the lounge in WAW?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: AC E50K *G - Amtrak SelectPlus
Originally Posted by echino
Does Premium Rouge get you into the lounge in WAW?
Premium rouge is considered PY for international flights, no lounge access (or same as PY)
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Been through both as connection points? Because I hate connecting in WAW. Is your connection to a destination outside Schengen? Whenever I've connected through WAW, there was only ever one security checkpoint for connecting flights to destinations outside Schengen, causing a huge back log depending on what other flights got in ahead of you.

Besides the connection point, I'd be leaning towards PY on the 787. I find the PY seat on the 787 more comfortable than the premium rouge seat, and a little more spacious. Also, I feel less gross after a 787 long haul vs. a 767/777/A330 flight. And air vents on 787 are guaranteed...
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Connection is within Schengen. Star Gold status so will have lounge access and priority security access in either airport. And again, for me, the connecting airport is not a factor in my decision here - it entirely boils down to which offers the better in-flight experience.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by pprrff
Premium rouge is considered PY for international flights, no lounge access (or same as PY)
Sstill available for $25?

The Rouge advantage is you're the top class, no J ahead to take service or boarding priority excepting SE. I like the 787 and IFE though. Plus there's always the chance of a good LMU deal.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Since non-stop is not an option, I would ask which airport(s) are under consideration for your point of connection?

787:
*Newer Aircraft
*AVOD - Panasonic ex3
*No WiFi (it's on the way)
*Duty Free

767:
*Smaller Cabin (18 versus 21 on 787) with dedicated Crew Member
*Steaming Video & WiFi (Progressively being installed)
*No Duty Free
I have to ask ACYYZ/SD....I mean, I already know the answer but does AC really do that much of a business selling duty free.

In all my years, I think I have seen maybe a bottle of perfume or two changing hands (in J)
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by travelgirl2_99
Connection is within Schengen. Star Gold status so will have lounge access and priority security access in either airport. And again, for me, the connecting airport is not a factor in my decision here - it entirely boils down to which offers the better in-flight experience.
IME the Premium Rouge seats border on "atrocious" whereas the 787-9 PY seats are excellent. IFE is far superior on the Dreamliner, too.

If you're only deciding based on the in-flight experience, it's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned -- don't rouge it.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Rouge Lounge at Gatwick?

For a Star Gold pax flying LGW - YVR on AC Rouge in the Premium cabin... is there any lounge access? I see Aviance is a contracted lounge in the North Terminal. I assume this would be open to an E50K member?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by lcohen999
I have to ask ACYYZ/SD....I mean, I already know the answer but does AC really do that much of a business selling duty free.

In all my years, I think I have seen maybe a bottle of perfume or two changing hands (in J)

It's very route specific, and from what we're told, it is still a profitable endeavour. I know that certain US Carriers have removed it (Delta for one). Biggest selling flight of all time was YYZ-ICN on the A340 - $10,300.

I think on-line/pre-order duty free is under-maximized, benefits being the guarantee of product on board as well as a broader selection. I for one make use of it to generally buy Johnny Walker Island Green - it's the best possible price I've found.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
I have flown a number of mainline PE flights, mostly transpacific, but transatlantic as well.

Last week took my first Premium Rouge flights (YVR-KIX return) on the 767, so that's 20 hours to assess the product.

Entertainment is obviously poorer with the streaming wifi and I miss the moving map, but IFE is relatively low on my risk of "wants" on a flight. The food and beverages were good for the price paid, and I think the service may have been more friendly in Rouge since in Premium Rouge you are the top of the pecking order vs being 2nd class on mainline. On PR you do get curtains between the cabin and economy and you do get your own dedicated lav. That's a plus.

The seats however are different. Definitely less recline on PR which makes sleeping more difficult. I see they claim a 7 inch recline which is what it also is on a 789. I can't agree that the recline was the same. PR felt like 4 inches to 5, and barely that. ON PR when the person in front of you reclines, you still have room in front of your face. On the 789 it feels like the person is practically putting the seat in your lap when it reclines. Makes getting out of a window seat nigh on impossible.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.