Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC vs NZ to Australia; AC 787 non-stop vs Air NZ 777 via AKL?

Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond

I am looking at booking YVR to Australia in Y using airmiles, AC 787 non-stop vs Air NZ 777 via AKL. Never flown NZ, only done AC 787 in J or PE. Which is better in Y, only heard bad things about AC 787 in Y, am 6’5” tall so leg room matters for me. Surprised by how “low” YQ and charges are, C$226 on NZ and C$330 on AC, given distance compared to the scam charges to Europe.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by tobegold
I am looking at booking YVR to Australia in Y using airmiles....
To be clear, are you asking about using your Aeroplan miles or Air Miles, as the two are not related and completely different?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Does NZ still offer "cuddle seats" aka sky couch in Y for the three seats in window rows.

I flew Y twice to NZ. Once solo with two the other seats full, and I found the footrest section completely hindered leg room. It wasn't pleasant at all.

Second time with wife, there was no third person, and it was amazing to be able to spoon on a plane and it was more comfortable than J imo!

i really miss NZ

Last edited by YVRYEGYVR; Dec 19, 2018 at 10:31 am
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 24left
To be clear, are you asking about using your Aeroplan miles or Air Miles, as the two are not related and completely different?
Air Miles - taking advantage of the miles rebate for 1 ticket when booking 2 tickets for BMO Air Miles World Elite card, unfortunately Airmiles only has Y inventory access.

Last edited by tobegold; Dec 19, 2018 at 10:59 am
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Both will be awful but endurable. NZ may be a bit more pleasant but you have to deal with the stop-over. If they still have it and two of you are flying, the NZ skycouch would be worth a go (if bookable with Air Miles).

My recommendation would be to fly direct on AC and given your height pay the extra to get an exit row/bulkhead seat.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: TK *G
Would strongly suggest purchasing preferred seats with extra legroom.

My preference is NZ with one stop over AC non stop, because the service is much better on NZ.
vernonc and mellon like this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by songsc
Would strongly suggest purchasing preferred seats with extra legroom.

My preference is NZ with one stop over AC non stop, because the service is much better on NZ.
To me the extra travel & transit time via AKL would overide the nominally better service. NZ to Au is ~3:30hr. I would also be looking at the actual departure & arrival times. The back of the bus is the back of the bus. Service is limited.
Does depend a little which Australian destination
Route-->Great Circle Mapper
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Will you be able to get advance seating without paying on AC?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Will you be able to get advance seating without paying on AC?
yes, I get advanced seating without paying on AC, but if I want preferred seats/exit row will have to pay extra as I am TK Elite Plus (*G) and no free access to these for me. I don't know if NZ gives *G any free access to preferred seats. Does NZ allow advanced seat selection to get exit rows (don't mind paying extra).

I don't mind the extra travel time by connecting through AKL, it is the comfort that is my main concern since I am 6'5" and my long legs need room.

Looking at open jaw in /out SYD/MEL though with NZ could do Adelaide instead of either of those. Flexible on in/out cities as still in planning stages, flights are bookable on Airmiles website. One aberration noticed is that we can get seats to oz for the 11,500 airmiles, but if we try just going to NZ or open-jaw with NZ the cost is 20-22,000 each, even if the YVR -AKL nonstop is used, the same non-stop when continuing on to oz drops to 11,500 as long as we fly in/out of oz. Its like, "Hey fly us to Oz, but don't stay in NZ".
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On trans Tasman (NZ<----> Au) on Air NZ you can pay extra $30 for a exit row. Expect will be the same on NZ long haul, but more $$. If that can be done with an airmiles ticket is another matter. But on an ordinary cash fare have the chance to purchase exit row at any time on line.

If first going to an Au airport not served by AC (BNE-SYD-MEL) then via AKL is viable option. The SYD international <---> domestic shuffle is best avoided if possible.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Just did a dummy booking on NZ website, gives us free access to preferred seating with 33” seat pitch and can buy exit row for a reasonable price. I expect should be able to reserve these later on the NZ website or by calling in. Sky couch option looks good. AC only gives 31” pitch, preferred costs extra, exit row more $ than NZ. Looks like NZ gets my business.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
I would take any option that avoids a transit of AKL, an airport I regard as the anti-room to hell.

That said, I agree the NZ experience is likely to be marginally better than the AC one but on balance that would still not get me to transit AKL.
silver_halide likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
I assume you have flown AC, so its nice to try other airlines.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
I would take any option that avoids a transit of AKL, an airport I regard as the anti-room to hell.

That said, I agree the NZ experience is likely to be marginally better than the AC one but on balance that would still not get me to transit AKL.
What are the issues with transiting AKL?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by tobegold
What are the issues with transiting AKL?
There are a few I've experienced in recent months, more annoying than terrible. If you are not flying NZ via the U.S. then it's less of a hassle.

You might also want to ask opinions on the NZ FT forum

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...ir-points-440/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.