Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead bin / closet in J?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal
I DID NOT leave it in the aisle. I left it in the overhead bin in row 12, and pushed it in to the extent I could.
Did you expect an FA to magically get it pushed in farther than you could? Making your problem someone else’s is exactly as rude as our fellow commenters have mentioned upthread.

FWIW I don’t often see bags accommodated in the J closet, regardless of cabin but definitely less so for Y. Garment bags, sure, a bunch go in especially in the summer when the J cabin isn’t full of people wearing bulky winter coats, but most of the roll-aboard bags I see going into those closets belong to the FAs.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jc94
I agree with most of the above. How is the FA to know you are SE, possibly only be checking the PIL
They don't get the PIL until everyone is on. With ML, they get the onboard list the day before. I don't know if Regional gets the onboard list, prior to the PIL.
jc94 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ffsim
FWIW I don’t often see bags accommodated in the J closet, regardless of cabin but definitely less so for Y. Garment bags, sure, a bunch go in especially in the summer when the J cabin isn’t full of people wearing bulky winter coats, but most of the roll-aboard bags I see going into those closets belong to the FAs.
It is very common for J passengers on the CRA. In particular, for row 1.
Stranger likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
It is very common for J passengers on the CRA. In particular, for row 1.
Yep, I was speaking in general terms. I’ll defer to your much larger sample size ^
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jc94
I agree with most of the above. How is the FA to know you are SE, possibly only be checking the PIL. I think asking to use it as a SE is fine... but only after J has all boarded without issues. (Ignoring late boarders)
Ignoring late boarders? I don't think J space should be given away to Y until J boards. I boarded a CR9 yesterday when they made their final boarding call. That's not me relinquishing my ability to store a bag, it's exercise an advertised perk of boarding when I want.

Even then, too many times I've seen Y pax put bags in J, and then come up 7 times during flight to get stuff. Keep it in your cabin, or check it. If your bag's too big, check it.
bawm likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Ignoring late boarders? I don't think J space should be given away to Y until J boards. I boarded a CR9 yesterday when they made their final boarding call. That's not me relinquishing my ability to store a bag, it's exercise an advertised perk of boarding when I want.

Even then, too many times I've seen Y pax put bags in J, and then come up 7 times during flight to get stuff. Keep it in your cabin, or check it. If your bag's too big, check it.
By late boarders I mean the guy who walks on 10 mins after everyone else is seated.

My point is really that I believe if there is space maybe AC should make an exception for their top tier pax although it shouldn’t impact those who paid or upgraded there.

And you make a good point about access. There shouldn’t be any during the flight.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal
I DID NOT leave it in the aisle. I left it in the overhead bin in row 12, and pushed it in to the extent I could.
I was wondering where some posters got the impression you left your bag in the aisle. I read your post, and did not see any mention of leaving it there. That didn't prevent many people reaching out and calling you rude, over-entitled etc. Only one person has displayed the grace to apologize for the misinterpretation.
I understand that for many, reading is hard, but the concept of being a decent human being and not jumping to conclusions shouldn't be.

The OP made a reasonable request, and having a visible plastic status tag should not influence the civility of the cabin crew member's reply or treatment of any passenger (he or she can easily ask the passenger of their status, or check their manifest for that and/or fare information). We only know one side of the tale, granted, but that hasn't stopped the online AC enforcement division from offering their unsolicited and largely predictable assessments.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I was wondering where some posters got the impression you left your bag in the aisle. I read your post, and did not see any mention of leaving it there. That didn't prevent many people reaching out and calling you rude, over-entitled etc.
When did making your problem someone else’s stop being rude? While we try to teach our children that they should clean up their own messes, it seems some of us forget that through adulthood. Or perhaps just on the way to 100,000 miles with an airline

I understand that for many, reading is hard, but the concept of being a decent human being and not jumping to conclusions shouldn't be.
Decent human beings would’ve (1) removed the clearly-too-large bag from the clearly-too-small overhead bin and (2) politely asked a member of the cabin crew for assistance in finding an adequate home for the duration of the flight. Step (1) helps ensure that someone just trying to get you safely to your destination doesn’t throw his or her back out unwedging your oversized bag from the undersized bin, while (2) makes you a decent human being.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Gotta agree with this. I like to board J later in the process...usually when there are ~30 Z5 remaining. And since I prefer the mini-cabin on the 777s, I often find a bag in the bin above my seat. Now, there is still room for my bag but out of principle it irks me that the potential exists for the J bins to be full of (presumably) Y bags should I decide to board last.

Then there are those who insist on retrieving something from their bag mid-flight (often when I am sleeping) and the overall experience is less-than-positive.

In a perfect world, J bins = J passengers only. If Y runs out of bin space, gate check. Or better enforcement on bag size and number of bags prior to boarding but my observation is that no one wants to be "that person" to insist on gate-checking; instead, they pass the problem downtime to the cabin crew. By the time it becomes an issue onboard, it is easier to fill up the J-bins rather than gate check. So I understand the "why"...just wish it wasn't the case.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I interpreted "I left it there" as "in the closet", though the later description of the encounter makes that obviously not true. I certainly do not see how the language could be parsed as the bag being left in the bin that it did not fit in.

In any case, by the OPs own recounting, there was no rudeness. No joy, but only firm denial of a request.

We don't and never will have the FAs side of the story. But I would fill in the blanks as they are trying to get their job done, and some FOTSG doesn't understand physics and overhead bin doors. They don't have tags, and thus are just another PAX, not that having status grants one the ability to violate the laws of physics or flight safety rules. The "bags that don't fit can go under the seat or be gate checked for free" announcement has been played already twice. This nobody FOTSG can't physics, can't listen and is wasting my time. The closet? \/\/TF is this guy? The closet. "No". "Still no". "No, with a cherry on top"
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:03 pm

When did making your problem someone else’s stop being rude? While we try to teach our children that they should clean up their own messes, it seems some of us forget that through adulthood. Or perhaps just on the way to 100,000 miles with an airline

Decent human beings would’ve (1) removed the clearly-too-large bag from the clearly-too-small overhead bin and (2) politely asked a member of the cabin crew for assistance in finding an adequate home for the duration of the flight. Step (1) helps ensure that someone just trying to get you safely to your destination doesn’t throw his or her back out unwedging your oversized bag from the undersized bin, while (2) makes you a decent human being.
While in theory, I agree with your points, I think you've drawn some rather tenuous connections in this particular tale. I don't believe in this case, the decision to leave the bag where it sat in the overhead bin qualifies as "rude" or can be equated to childrens' messes. I read your Step 2, and wonder why you believe it wasn't exercised by the OP? This thread literally describes the result of that conversation.

Anyway, my point is that armed with the most limited information, many are quick to judge and pull the gallows lever.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:12 pm

...I agree with your points...
Thank you.

I read your Step 2, and wonder why you believe it wasn't exercised by the OP? This thread literally describes the result of that conversation.
This thread literally describes someone saying, “this doesn’t fit here, deal with it.” That’s what it boils down to.

Let me tell you a story. I flew a bunch of DL segments earlier this year. Regardless of which route, which aircraft or which crew, the interactions were always the same: “Sir / ma’am, if I touch your bag, I’m forced to bring it forward and have it checked. If you want to find some bin space in nearby rows together, I’m happy to help, otherwise let me know and my colleagues will be happy to check your back to its final destination.” Translation: don’t make your problem my problem. Which, if we’re honest, is great advice we can both seemingly agree with.

Anyway, my point is that armed with the most limited information, many are quick to judge and pull the gallows lever.
My turn to agree with you. Present company included.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:25 pm

Thank you.
"In theory", I said.

My turn to agree with you. Present company included.
Given feedback, some pause to reflect, others rush to deflect.

The moral of the story is: don't fly on a CR7.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The moral of the story is: don't fly on a CR7.
I am aware that the bins in Y are smaller than in J, but with same on both sides. But are they too small for the allowed carry on size?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:52 pm

For the OP.

Dude, you simply need to get this bag tag. Problem solved. She'll know what to do with the luggage.

Stranger and WaytoomuchEurope like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.