FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Overhead bin / closet in J?
View Single Post
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:03 pm
CZAMFlyer

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by ffsim
When did making your problem someone else’s stop being rude? While we try to teach our children that they should clean up their own messes, it seems some of us forget that through adulthood. Or perhaps just on the way to 100,000 miles with an airline

Decent human beings would’ve (1) removed the clearly-too-large bag from the clearly-too-small overhead bin and (2) politely asked a member of the cabin crew for assistance in finding an adequate home for the duration of the flight. Step (1) helps ensure that someone just trying to get you safely to your destination doesn’t throw his or her back out unwedging your oversized bag from the undersized bin, while (2) makes you a decent human being.
While in theory, I agree with your points, I think you've drawn some rather tenuous connections in this particular tale. I don't believe in this case, the decision to leave the bag where it sat in the overhead bin qualifies as "rude" or can be equated to childrens' messes. I read your Step 2, and wonder why you believe it wasn't exercised by the OP? This thread literally describes the result of that conversation.

Anyway, my point is that armed with the most limited information, many are quick to judge and pull the gallows lever.