Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead bin / closet in J?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G
Overhead bin / closet in J?

I was flying on a CR7, in row 12. My luggage could not fit in the overhead bin (no issues with a prior flights on CR9, Q400, etc.), so I left it there. After boarding, the FA did her check, and asked "whose bag is this". Here is how the conversation went...

FA: "you have to put it under your seat"
Me: "do you have space in the closet" (note 2 pax in J, and obviously the closet had space)
FA: "it's for business class only"
Me: "but can I put it there, since you have space?"
FA: "Again, and as I told you no, it's for business class"

At which point, I went ahead and put it under the seat in front of me.

Q: why do you have to be awfully rude, especially to a S100K passenger, and why can't I put my bag in the closet if you have space? Thoughts?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal
I was flying on a CR7, in row 12. My luggage could not fit in the overhead bin (no issues with a prior flights on CR9, Q400, etc.), so I left it there. After boarding, the FA did her check, and asked "whose bag is this". Here is how the conversation went...

FA: "you have to put it under your seat"
Me: "do you have space in the closet" (note 2 pax in J, and obviously the closet had space)
FA: "it's for business class only"
Me: "but can I put it there, since you have space?"
FA: "Again, and as I told you no, it's for business class"

At which point, I went ahead and put it under the seat in front of me.

Q: why do you have to be awfully rude, especially to a S100K passenger, and why can't I put my bag in the closet if you have space? Thoughts?
I've never seen anyone ask to put a bag in the closet, actually, so I can't relate this back to another experience.

I will say I'm surprised at the tone you received being an SE. Perhaps your tone put the FA off a little? Or maybe it was the fact that you just left the bag in the aisle and waited to be asked about it?

Why not put it under a different seat if there was that much space in the J cabin?

Last edited by WaytoomuchEurope; Dec 10, 2018 at 3:55 pm Reason: Accidentally posted before completion
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Did the bag have SE tags? Do you have an SE tie?

Just abandoning the bag there likely was the issue. That immediately puts them on the defensive. The FA could well have put your bag in the closet if you patiently did as expected and came up to gate check it later. Especially if you were contrite and the bag had a SE tag.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
My luggage could not fit in the overhead bin...so I left it there"
Leaving it there mid boarding to make it someone else's (FA's) issue? Aweful rude and over-entitled in my opinion regardless of cabin. Sitting in Y makes it worse.

The good thing is roughly half the time I have seen this happen, the customer gets an AWESOME response by the FA: "Sir, we will now be checking your bag."
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

I am a S100K member, but I don't attach the S100K tag on my travel bag. I don't need to broadcast to strangers that I am a S100K member.
Would it have a made a difference if my S100K luggage tag was attached to the bag in question?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:07 pm

I am a S100K member, but I don't attach the S100K tag on my travel bag. I don't need to broadcast to strangers that I am a S100K member.
Would it have a made a difference if my S100K luggage tag was attached to the bag in question?
Well it would have identified you and would have made it easier for the FA to warn her colleagues about you.

Really, just leaving the bag in the aisle was clearly the issue. It was terribly rude to do so.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
It is never okay for an FA to be rude to a passenger. However, they are people. It may have gone different if she had known you were an SE. It probably would have gone different if you had asked her for assistance on a location for the bag, instead of leaving it in the isle, transferring the problem to her, instead of asking her to help with your problem. I don't know, I didn't hear the exchange. I can only guess based on your comments and my personal experience.
24left likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

I DID NOT leave it in the aisle. I left it in the overhead bin in row 12, and pushed it in to the extent I could.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
So it was important to squawk to us you are SE, but not to the crew. Do you think the crew has all SE PAX memorized by face? Why would you expect them to treat you differently if you aren't different?
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
I DID NOT leave it in the aisle. I left it in the overhead bin in row 12, and pushed it in to the extent I could.
Bad interpretation of the term "left it there ". However, the result is the same. You left it for her to deal with. It is a good thing you didn't try to force it. The CRA bin hinges are made of a metal that snaps very easily!
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Well I'm glad to see they were protecting the integrity of the J cabin
expert7700 and Fizzer like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
If it is obvious that the bn won't close then same assessment (Rude) -- It seeme most of the times when passengers just leave it in aisle or halfway in bin and sit down the bag ends up being checked.

On some aircraft (Q400) the closet is 100% for crew bags only very rare exceptions are made (seemingly breaking some company policies).
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:31 pm

My apologies for the misinterpretation. My bad.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
On some aircraft (Q400) the closet is 100% for crew bags only very rare exceptions are made (seemingly breaking some company policies).
It wasn't the Q. It was the CRA. I have never seen anything but crew bags go into the Q closet, from inside the plane. Baggage handlers have external access.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
GI’ve both asked for and been offered the closet at various times in J on AC and (at least) two other airlines. Due to a lack of space.

I agree with most of the above. How is the FA to know you are SE, possibly only be checking the PIL. I think asking to use it as a SE is fine... but only after J has all boarded without issues. (Ignoring late boarders)

Without tags, I’m not sure if a good way to make your status aware without coming across as a DYKWIA though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.