Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why the allure to Lounges?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
One can only imagine what nice Asian shower experience is worth $100.
I was offered something that included a shower in Kowloon for even less than $100 so indeed it is out there, just not at the CX lounge.
ffsim and Santander like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
I am amazed you'd pay $5 since it looks like you expect them to pay you eat and drink there and another key point is you don't actually pay anything. Your $5 is just an arbitrary amount you made up as a benchmark to rant against them which is baloney. The other end of the range, e.g. the $100 shower sounds pretty daft as well.
What’s amazing is coming across a frequent flyer, one with a Ph.D, no less, that doesn’t realize that a double-double and a pack of gum are probably the only things to be had for $5 or less at an airport
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ffsim

What’s amazing is coming across a frequent flyer, one with a Ph.D, no less, that doesn’t realize that a double-double and a pack of gum are probably the only things to be had for $5 or less at an airport
I was in MIA yesterday and a bubble pack of Trident gum (8 or 9 pieces) was $2.49US. I just left Managua where a box of 60 Clorets gum was $0.95.
There's really no proof to the Ph.D or frequency of travel either. When I glanced at it I thought it was a rant of someone who cannot get in or tried and was turned away, embarrassed.
ffsim likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would be cautious with folks who need to advertise their academic credentials though.

Herr Professor Doctor MSc PhD Habilitation... Before your name on the envelope...
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Stranger
I would be cautious with folks who need to advertise their academic credentials though.
Precisely why I stopped wearing my iron ring for a bunch of years... as if I need to advertise to all within eyeshot that I’m a social gracelessness know-it-all who’s better than them
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: AC 35k
To me, it all depends on the airport. While I'll use the WestJet lounges when they come @ YYC and I use the MLL on the Calgary domestic concourse, I don't pay for the Aspire lounges. The international terminal is spacious, comfortable and generally quiet. The volume is spread out, even in the domestic area over 3 concourses.

Where I will pay for lounge access and where I find it invaluable is in busy terminals that are close to capacity. ORD, SEA, ATL are busy. YYZ can also be very busy and it's worth a lounge visit there as well. I haven't felt the need in YVR or YUL either, but I transit there less often.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
The Plaza lounges seem to be buying in bulk from Costco which takes away from the "Premium" experience. I do enjoy their breakfast. Taking early morning flights from YEG to US destinations doesn't leave one much time for a proper breakfast, so it's something I actually look forward to.

As far as the allure. Decades ago I would sometimes connect overnight through EU countries for which I needed but didn't have a visa. Not that I could have afforded a hotel in those cities anyway. So I would be one of those people spending the night in the international terminal nibbling on a sandwich my mom had packed for me because there was no way in hell I would or could pay the extortionate prices food vendors at those airports charged. I can't help but think back to those times whenever I am at a lounge. It's a funny feeling, not one of being a DYKWIA who's "made it" - I am far from that - but a mixture of nostalgia, contentment and quiet gratitude.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
i was offered something that included a shower in kowloon for even less than $100 so indeed it is out there, just not at the cx lounge.
ell oh ell
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Precisely why I stopped wearing my iron ring for a bunch of years... as if I need to advertise to all within eyeshot that I’m a social gracelessness know-it-all who’s better than them
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never wore one. Not sure about my kids at this point. I think my daughter did for a while. Son is in the US and they don't have these there.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:37 pm

I like lounges because they are an escape from the hustle and bustle of the terminal. They are quiet, don't have obnoxious kids running around, usually have enough seating, have some snacks and drinks to munch on, and usually people are quiet and respectful.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by poisson
I like lounges because they are an escape from the hustle and bustle of the terminal. They are quiet, don't have obnoxious kids running around, usually have enough seating, have some snacks and drinks to munch on, and usually people are quiet and respectful.
Where is this heavenly place and how does one gain access?

Emphasis mine.
pitz likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

clearly lounges are better than rest of airport

not everyone here (or in general) has allure

loyalty programs = marketing to increase revenue, do lead to allure by many

some airport VIP services (for commercial pax) offer private rooms
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Lounges are good
Terminals are good

pick one, enjoy your pick

Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
As others have said, it depends on the lounge and it depends on the airport. Some of them (Air New Zealand at LAX, Delta at SEA) are very nice with decent meals and a pretty well-stocked bar. Others (Smiles lounge in GRU, or just about any domestic MLL) are little more than glorified refugee camps, with people and their belongings scattered everywhere. In some cases (YYZ or YVR) you're better off to camp out in the terminal itself. Or, go to the Amex / Plaza lounge instead.

Good lounges (UA Polaris lounge at ORD, for instance) can be a nice, relaxing place to chill or get caught up on work when you have a long connection. That's especially the case when, as at ORD, they're located in an otherwise lousy airport.

I'm not sure I understand the point of going to the airport early just to hang around in the lounge ... personally I try to minimize my time spend waiting anywhere. But that's just me.

Lounge access is a nice benefit ... I don't attach much monetary value to it however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.