Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why the allure to Lounges?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I find that even the worst lounge is a better place to be than the best gate. Obviously not all AC or Plaza Premium Lounges are the best but lounges in general tend to have better access to outlets, better bathrooms, better Wifi and food and drink.

Plus I'd be lying if I didn't say I like the feeling of superiority in being in a lounge
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Someone mentioned IRROPS handling. I know that this is not the case for the MLL, where the agents are not empowered to do anything, but AA and UA lounge agents have been a godsend during meltdowns, but also with simple reroutes, SDCs, etc.

I wouldnt call any domestic lounges "alluring" but the likes of QF F at SYD, CX J/F at HKG, QR J/F in DOH, EK F in DXB, TK in IST, even TG F at BKK - all have been a good time, each and every time.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Someone mentioned IRROPS handling. I know that this is not the case for the MLL, where the agents are not empowered to do anything, but AA and UA lounge agents have been a godsend during meltdowns, but also with simple reroutes, SDCs, etc.
Ditto LH.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Where is this heavenly place and how does one gain access?

Emphasis mine.
I recently got back from Europe and went to three different lounges there. Most barely had any people at all and were quiet places to sit before a flight. But I've heard that US lounges can be a hit of miss.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by poisson
I recently got back from Europe and went to three different lounges there. Most barely had any people at all and were quiet places to sit before a flight. But I've heard that US lounges can be a hit of miss.
There is many a SEN lounge in EU that's worth a sit.

I hear the same about Polaris lounges for UA but haven't been in one.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Lounges serve different purposes in each location: a regional lounge like the lovely Escape Lounge in Reno, or the fashionable Jen Lesage Lounge in Quebec fills in an entirely different need than the HKG United Club or the AC CDG lounge. (And luxury lounges like those offered by SQ and CX at their hubs are an entirely different category.) For the big benefit of a regional lounge is a less noisy place to freshen up before a flight, and for an intercontinental J lounge it is to shower between long flights.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
For the big benefit of a regional lounge is a less noisy place to freshen up before a flight, and for an intercontinental J lounge it is to shower between long flights.
We have used showers at domestic lounges at YVR and YYZ. Also on regional intra-Europe ones at FRA. Also at the MLL at LHR. Showers are one of the good aspects of the lounges. We don't go for the food (does that stuff qualify as food) and drinks (awful wines; occasional glass of cheap port).
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Symmetre
I'm not sure I understand the point of going to the airport early just to hang around in the lounge ... personally I try to minimize my time spend waiting anywhere. But that's just me.

Lounge access is a nice benefit ... I don't attach much monetary value to it however.
Hear hear!

Originally Posted by rankourabu
That might have been me. I was referring not to the ability to rebook/issue vouchers, etc, but simply as a nicer place to take refuge when the general concourse and gates may be busier than usual with a backlog of delayed passengers.

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I hear the same about Polaris lounges for UA but haven't been in one.
The new SFO Polaris lounge is certainly worth a visit. It's miles better than the older United Club in the International terminal.

Originally Posted by CMK10
I find that even the worst lounge is a better place to be than the best gate...Plus I'd be lying if I didn't say I like the feeling of superiority in being in a lounge [img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I'll respectfully disagree with both statements: one for factual reasons; the other on principle.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: BA Bronze,ex-AC*SE,ex-AC*E,ex-AC*P, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Fairmont Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
I find that even the worst lounge is a better place to be than the best gate.
I have to agree, most flying now is paid J long haul /ULH often with lengthy connection times. The lounges are (normally) quieter, cleaner and more comfortable than the gate area. Showers are a saviour, haven't come across a gross one yet. You can always leave the lounge and go to the terminal / gate, the opposite isn't true for most travelers.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:09 pm

Why go to the airport early for a lounge? Well I remember having a job interview in Virginia, flight was at 6 pm but I was out at 2. I forget whatever reason but I couldn't standby. So I went to the TK lounge at IAD (highly recommend). Much better then sitting in the lobby of my hotel.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:16 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by noahsilv
Why go to the airport early for a lounge? Well I remember having a job interview in Virginia, flight was at 6 pm but I was out at 2. I forget whatever reason but I couldn't standby. So I went to the TK lounge at IAD (highly recommend). Much better then sitting in the lobby of my hotel.
Not for the lounge, but I like to leave some buffer room for heavy traffic or late trains on the way to airport, or extra long lines at security, so most times I'd arrive with some time spare. It is nice to have a lounge where I can have some snacks, a drink or two, reliable internet, more space to sit and a clean bathroom.
canadiancow and jc94 like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim

Precisely why I stopped wearing my iron ring for a bunch of years... as if I need to advertise to all within eyeshot that I’m a social gracelessness know-it-all who’s better than them
Well, you shouldn't worry about your iron ring. Most people don't know what it means anyway. And those that do, wear it proudly and do not see themselves as graceless and know-it-alls.
Jagboi, m.y, ffsim and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: Global Entry
Supply and demand, my friend. Showers at some rural inn are not the same as those in crowded airports. You are paying for space and increased privacy.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Nothing quite like coming home on 34 from SYD to YYZ

landing in YYZ, heading up to the domestic MLL, take a shower before getting picked up by my wife to go out the evening before we go home.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: E50K
A newspaper, a magazine, a drink, maybe a snack, good wifi, a chance to leave my stuff at a chair worry-free while I slip to the washroom ... I'd pay $10 for that, even $20.

A shower? Well, I paid $10 for a shower at Narita one time, when my status was on hiatus and I had been spoiled by the lounge shower in the lounge on previous visits.

So with a shower, add $10, for a total of $30. No problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.