Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Altitude 2019-2020 Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by MME2YYZ
As a new 75K I just realized I get 6 months free wifi, how do I access as GOGO is trying to charge me $420? I would call in but I think the call centre may be a tad busy

That is part of your select privileges list. Is it one of the privileges you selected?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive
Darn didn’t realize that - guess I’ll just expense it then
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: AC 75K, Marrott Platinum, BW Diamond, AP Diamond
AC will not recognize my 75K Status for Air Miles Reward Trip

HI, i was trying to create a new thread but i do not see how it is possible anymore? Anyway, this falls under Altitude Benefits so I will post here for now. I have several beefs with AC, but it seems things just keep getting worse.

1. In January I made my 75K choices, I intended to nominate my wife, but option wasn't available at time. I figured I would have to do it later when hers expired in February, but was told I missed out - even though choice was not available. Basically they said i needed to to wait, but I certainly never seen any messages to state that. Everything i hear from them was too bad. Has anybody had any luck or made the same mistake? I know my friend is SE 100K and he is in the same boat, not sure if his got fixed or not yet.

2. This is my most recent beef with AC. I booked an Air Miles trip, i have 35K air miles and wanted to use some up, Booked a trip with my wife and two kids. Once I booked it I tried to get my seats but couldn't do anything. I called up Altitude where i quickly learned they are not allowed to tag my aeroplan number to that trip, which basically means, no miles, no segments but most importantly - I will not be recognized as 75K during my trip which means if anything goes wrong I am screwed - well basically just like everybody. I can't believe they won't recognize your status no matter how you got your ticket, my goodness if you travel enough for status that shouldn't matter.

Now while talking to her, she said, well let them know and they will probably help out some - ie. boarding etc... but my concern also is luggage? does this mean I will have to pay for luggage? I am travelling with young kids and I don't want to carry everything. How can they not recognize that, does it specifically say you only get free luggage on paid trips even though air miles reward paid for the trip and i also shelled out 1K in taxes? we are going ysj-las. A few years ago we were going to Orlando and we missed a tight connection and it took the whole day to get there, seeing how things work when you have status, i know I would of been on something with an hour or two. So it is not like I feel entitled because I am 75K but I flew a ton last year to earn it and now I am travelling with my family thinking we will be taken care of if things go south only now to learn we are at the bottom of the pile

3. The day before I asked about trying to use those bistro vouchers they give you. I asked about booking with someone else and they said, ohh just call and we can add it to the itinerary. I did say to them that it states "must be booked on air canada.com, but they went and checked and said no problem. Well no surprise, after i found out about the status issues, she tried to add my voucher and strike three - can't do it. Does any other airlines give you so many useless perks that they make it almost impossible to use. I have about seven of those vouchers that will expire and I have only been able to use one in which on two of the four legs i didn't even get it because they forgot. lost about 55 e-upgrades last month because there is no business class on most of my routes.

4. Last point not really related but kind of. I have quite a few amex reward points - does anybody know if you earn aeroplan points and if AC recognizes your status when you use there fixed points program? I have quite a few of these points which I am holding on to until i find out what will the new AEROPLAN be like. I have about 1M aeroplan and 1M amex rewards and I am trying to hold out to see what is the best options - any ideas? I am hoping the new AEROPLAN will be better and more flexible so I could dump them all in when it starts. But sadly i may loose my status this year as my job changed some, so unless i get a new job or go back to my old role I could loose all my hotel and airline statuses.

Anyway, i guess the most important thing i am trying to find out before i get to the airport is - will i be paying for my luggage on this trip or will the agents help me out. I would think in ysj they would help me out, but in Las Vegas, they wouldn't know me from an hole in the wall and probably wouldn't care.

Sorry for being all over the map - I am really ticked with AC right now for several different reasons and this was the best way to vent and maybe learn something useful.

Kevin
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by notalk28
.....4. Last point not really related but kind of. I have quite a few amex reward points - does anybody know if you earn aeroplan points and if AC recognizes your status when you use there fixed points program? I have quite a few of these points which I am holding on to until i find out what will the new AEROPLAN be like. I have about 1M aeroplan and 1M amex rewards and I am trying to hold out to see what is the best options - any ideas? I am hoping the new AEROPLAN will be better and more flexible so I could dump them all in when it starts. .....
Kevin,
I'll just address your point #4 .
No you do not earn Aeroplan miles when you buy a ticket with points.
Not sure I totally understand your question but why wouldn't you just transfer the points you need to Aeroplan and book them from Aeroplan?
At that point, if you book the tickets from your account, your status will be on the booking.
Also, how would anyone know what the new program will be like? There is an entire thread on they forum that contains all manner guessing and speculation, plus other threads where there are posts suggesting it will be worse than it is now.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notalk28

2. This is my most recent beef with AC. I booked an Air Miles trip, i have 35K air miles and wanted to use some up, Booked a trip with my wife and two kids. Once I booked it I tried to get my seats but couldn't do anything. I called up Altitude where i quickly learned they are not allowed to tag my aeroplan number to that trip, which basically means, no miles, no segments but most importantly - I will not be recognized as 75K during my trip which means if anything goes wrong I am screwed - well basically just like everybody. I can't believe they won't recognize your status no matter how you got your ticket, my goodness if you travel enough for status that shouldn't matter.
That's because these conditions are what Air Miles negociated with Air Canada.. Blame Air Miles, not AC.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger
That's because these conditions are what Air Miles negociated with Air Canada.. Blame Air Miles, not AC.
No, that's because phone agents are either incompetent, or there's a stupid policy in place.

You can add your Aeroplan number to any booking at the airport or through OLCI, and competent agents can do it to any booking at any time.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Why can you not just check in and say 0 checked bags, and then arrive at airport and show your E75K card and join the priority line and get your free checked bags?
RatherBeInYOW likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Kevin,
I'll just address your point #4 .
No you do not earn Aeroplan miles when you buy a ticket with points.
Not sure I totally understand your question but why wouldn't you just transfer the points you need to Aeroplan and book them from Aeroplan?
At that point, if you book the tickets from your account, your status will be on the booking.
Also, how would anyone know what the new program will be like? There is an entire thread on they forum that contains all manner guessing and speculation, plus other threads where there are posts suggesting it will be worse than it is now.

Yes, up until just recently you did and I have earned points from Avion travel reward tickets and Air Miles tickets ( less than 2 years ago. I know avion was just a recent change but couldn't find anything on Air Miles.

As well, I have not seen anything on AMEX travel rewards. You should get points because those programs are just buying tickets. I am hoping to hear from someone who has recently booked amex fixed point reward travel to find out.

Last edited by notalk28; Mar 24, 2019 at 3:39 pm
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet
Why can you not just check in and say 0 checked bags, and then arrive at airport and show your E75K card and join the priority line and get your free checked bags?

​​​​​​​That is probably what I would do, but I was told the by the 75K agent, you will be not considered Altitude 75K for this flight. So I don't want to show up with 3 bags to check and find out they want charge me for all three. We can do carry-on, but with two small kids i want to avoid that.

I guess my main is - if i am 75K, i earned it flying on their planes, so everything I fly on there plane it should be recognized. It shouldn't matter how the ticket was paid. In the end, AC got paid for it. I don't care so much about earning points and segments but I also believe the only logical ticket that should earn points are segments are with their own loyalty program because you possibly earned those points flying with AC. Any other program shouldn't matter. But I guess now with the basic fare they are even now selling tickets that don't even earn points or segments.

Last edited by notalk28; Mar 24, 2019 at 3:36 pm
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
AMEX market fare points bookings earn AQM / AQS as long as you are booked in an earning fare class. I usually call in to make the booking to ensure flex or higher class. Cannot comment on fixed rewards, but am sure @24left is correct that they do not accumulate.

Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
No, that's because phone agents are either incompetent, or there's a stupid policy in place.

You can add your Aeroplan number to any booking at the airport or through OLCI, and competent agents can do it to any booking at any time.

Well this sounds positive then, thanks for that update. I guess I should be able to get it added but I have to wait for 24 hours before. I should say that 75K agent did grab us seats, but unfortunately all the goods ones in premium were taken except the middle and we had to avoid exit rows due to the kids. so we ended up near the middle of the blame, but at least we are all together with windows.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yyckerr
AMEX market fare points bookings earn AQM / AQS as long as you are booked in an earning fare class. I usually call in to make the booking to ensure flex or higher class. Cannot comment on fixed rewards, but am sure @24left is correct that they do not accumulate.

Thanks for posting this info. I replied based on the easier question, do tickets with points earn miles or AQD/AQM, which I always understood was no. But I could be wrong about the types of AMEX tickets that would qualify.
I never use my AMEX rewards to buy tickets, I only transfer points as needed. I know others here books hotels and so on with their AX MRs.

Is this question answered on the AMEX Canada site or FT forum?

On Aeroplan, this is all I found:

Certain airline tickets are not eligible for mile accumulation. These include, but are not limited to, the following:
  • Refunded, void, or unused tickets, including unused non‐refundable tickets
  • Flight reward tickets or free promotional tickets
  • Travel agency/industry reduced‐rate tickets
  • Tour conductors, companion tickets, Infant tickets (under age two)
  • Tickets purchased to carry excess baggage, special baggage such as musical instruments, or to provide extra space for the primary passenger
  • Charter flights on Air Canada Jetz, Air Canada Express or single‐entity charter flights, unless otherwise specified
  • Tickets issued at fares with rules that exclude the earning of mile credit.
  • Aeroplan Members are also subject to other Terms and Conditions of Aeroplan. For more details visit:
https://www.aeroplan.com/terms_and_conditions.do

Also, the OPs questions run across a number of topics so it may be a challenge to search in the future since he posted in this thread.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Not sure if it’s answered elsewhere. I should search the appropriate forum and contribute though.

Speaking from direct experience as I have done this many times. I choose to use the AMEX points to book non-fixed mileage bookings specifically because they accumulate, as opposed to converting to AE 1:1. Did about 18K AQM worth at the end of last year by booking into flex over the phone with an AMEX phone agent on the 100 points : $1 dollar redemption value.
24left likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by 24left
Thanks for posting this info. I replied based on the easier question, do tickets with points earn miles or AQD/AQM, which I always understood was no. But I could be wrong about the types of AMEX tickets that would qualify.
I never use my AMEX rewards to buy tickets, I only transfer points as needed. I know others here books hotels and so on with their AX MRs.

Is this question answered on the AMEX Canada site or FT forum?

On Aeroplan, this is all I found:

Certain airline tickets are not eligible for mile accumulation. These include, but are not limited to, the following:
  • Refunded, void, or unused tickets, including unused non‐refundable tickets
  • Flight reward tickets or free promotional tickets
  • Travel agency/industry reduced‐rate tickets
  • Tour conductors, companion tickets, Infant tickets (under age two)
  • Tickets purchased to carry excess baggage, special baggage such as musical instruments, or to provide extra space for the primary passenger
  • Charter flights on Air Canada Jetz, Air Canada Express or single‐entity charter flights, unless otherwise specified
  • Tickets issued at fares with rules that exclude the earning of mile credit.
  • Aeroplan Members are also subject to other Terms and Conditions of Aeroplan. For more details visit:
https://www.aeroplan.com/terms_and_conditions.do

Also, the OPs questions run across a number of topics so it may be a challenge to search in the future since he posted in this thread.
I know, I didn't want to post in this thread, but I couldn't figure out how to start a new thread until yesterday. So I opened up a new one yesterday but someone shut it down because it was a duplicate message..

Anyway, at least I now know in the future what I need to do to start a new thread.

Thanks for all the replies, they were helpful.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: AC 50K, *A Gold
If I am P25K (from 2018) and I cross again P25k this year on my way to E35k, will I receive the 20eupgrades once I cross P25K again? or is it only when I cross a new level?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.