Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC revises its alcohol and drug policy to include cannabis ahead of legalization

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC revises its alcohol and drug policy to include cannabis ahead of legalization

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by skybluesea
agree with first two sentences - third, well, good luck as border agent primary task are to be human lie detectors - you get asked even if hidden, trained officers job is to find what is supposedly hidden.

best advice from number of posts, leave it behind if going anywhere near a border.

Were I to travel with cannabis I'd probably take my chances on domestic flights. In theory it is possible to be diverted to the USA but it happens very rarely and depending on the circumstances you might not be required to leave the plane.

There would be no real need to bring your own on any flight in Canada. It will be legal everywhere and available where you land. As a result, there may well be fewer people carrying it once it becomes legal because you can resupply upon arrival.

I'd be reluctant on international flights although a freshly-baked hash brownie might make a long TPAC or TATL go a little smoother just as long as you finish it before landing.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 23, 2020 at 11:31 am
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:32 am

as Oct 17th right around the corner, and AC continues to sell tickets with NOT a breadth on how legally permitted personal use Cannabis will be treated.

1. Smoking Ban obvious

2. What about personal edibles? Alcohol not permitted but TC regs yet to be changed to ban on-board personal use.

3. Will AC serve edibles in MLL & on-board what now will be a legal product, alongside usual Port with desert?

4. What guidance will FA have on stopping possible excessive consumption

5. Likely million other impacts that AC OPS will face - all readers who consume may add to list please

i take NO position on lawful consumption, not will I partake as NO longer consume alcohol either.
AC already has to deal with this! It's completely legal and has been legal for decades to consume weed if you have one of several medical conditions Health Canada has determined weed makes a differences (those include Terminal Cancers, Crohn's disease, certain types of arthritis, etc.). All a patient has to do is flash their Health Canada certificate to the person questioning them (i.e. police officer, airport agent, etc.) and by law they have to buzz off otherwise it could be construed as discrimination.

Safe Travels,

James

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 16, 2018 at 9:48 am Reason: edit quote
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

delete

Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Agree, that said The scale of what is coming is the issue as my post #32 admits already happening.

And for those on this Forum who are AC flight or cabin crew be interesting to understand from you what training and engagement policy in place or planned to address certainly a large uptick that is coming.

btw...as others have correctly posted, flashing Health Canada medical approval of some kind to US CBP officer is NOT a get out of jail free card, nor come Oct 17 does this change.. My guess is come the Fall, we will see stream of NEWS reports of overindulgent and un-informed Canadians who fail to recognize the harsh terms in this CBP notice.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-m...iption-holders

Make fun of course but Current US Administration has stepped up enforcement for domestic political reasons - i for one am reminding folks around me that even admitting once to use can generate a long ban from the US.

Ps...and AC travelers should not complain that AC keeps their money on a non-refundable ticket if they show in US Preclearance and get denied entry -right in the Tariff about AC bears no risk for failure to cross border.

I have a friend who wasn't "acting right" coming from Canada and was detained by CBP (this under the previous administration, so perhaps they were even more draconian). During questioning, while they were searching his luggage, he denied being a pot user, so they informed him that lying to a Federal official was a felony where he could go to prison just like Martha Stewart. He still insisted that he wasn't a pot smoker (needless to say he is a monster doper), so they used some sort of tape to remove residue from his fingers and his luggage. After being detained for 6-8 hours, they came back and told him that the tests came back positive for THC and that he would be banned from the US for 5 years. They made him sign a document, which they refused to give him a copy of, and sent him back to Canada. He tried to get them to let him talk to a lawyer, but they told him that he had no rights to a lawyer since he wasn't being arrested.

YMMV
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I have a friend who wasn't "acting right" coming from Canada and was detained by CBP (this under the previous administration, so perhaps they were even more draconian). During questioning, while they were searching his luggage, he denied being a pot user, so they informed him that lying to a Federal official was a felony where he could go to prison just like Martha Stewart. He still insisted that he wasn't a pot smoker (needless to say he is a monster doper), so they used some sort of tape to remove residue from his fingers and his luggage. After being detained for 6-8 hours, they came back and told him that the tests came back positive for THC and that he would be banned from the US for 5 years. They made him sign a document, which they refused to give him a copy of, and sent him back to Canada. He tried to get them to let him talk to a lawyer, but they told him that he had no rights to a lawyer since he wasn't being arrested.

YMMV
It's like I watched that Border Security episode!
ffsim likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

delete

Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.

@zombietooth

Curious, did this happen at land border on US soil or at US Preclearance in a Cdn airport -

It happened on US soil.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
People who smoke or consume cannabis have been flying that way for decades.

Expect your flights to be the same on October 18 as they are today. I've been to every US state where it is legal and unless you knew it was, you'd never know.

Fear mongering at it's finest.

Geez.

Provincial/federal laws will handle the rest.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

delete
closecover likes this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 23, 2020 at 11:30 am
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I can do one better.

In 2 months from now some faceless bureaucrat will sign a bill into law, and everyone will have untested laws in place with a few word changes but really not very dissimilar to what we have now in regards to intoxication. What will occur and be visible to the public the day after, is no different than what has been happening for decades.

We now return to our screening of "Reefer Madness".
canadiancow and Badenoch like this.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 19, 2018 at 8:39 pm
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis First, AA Gold
This is a funny topic and the responses are even better. I seriously doubt AC is even considering carrying this on-board. Crossing a boarder alone is enough to not make it worth it anytime in the next decade. Not sure AC wants to risk their planes winding up in a drug auction in the US. That is what could legally happen.

That being said, given what I see in many prolonged boarding processes I think it's safe to say many of the passengers aren't waiting for this to become legal.
j_the_p likes this.

Last edited by AC MMSE; Aug 21, 2018 at 8:01 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
https://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/09/...ada-marijuana/

Air Canada said some of its employees will be banned from using marijuana both on- and off-duty despite recreational use becoming legal in Canada next month.

The company said it has revised its alcohol and drug policy to include cannabis ahead of legalization on Oct. 17.

“The safety of our customers and employees is our top priority,” spokeswoman Isabelle Arthur said in an email. “As a result, employees working in safety-critical areas at the company, including flight operations and aircraft maintenance, will be prohibited from using cannabis and cannabis products at all times, both on-duty and off-duty.

All employees are banned from using recreational pot while on-duty or in the workplace, she added.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by tcook052
https://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/09/...ada-marijuana/

Air Canada said some of its employees will be banned from using marijuana both on- and off-duty despite recreational use becoming legal in Canada next month.

The company said it has revised its alcohol and drug policy to include cannabis ahead of legalization on Oct. 17.

“The safety of our customers and employees is our top priority,” spokeswoman Isabelle Arthur said in an email. “As a result, employees working in safety-critical areas at the company, including flight operations and aircraft maintenance, will be prohibited from using cannabis and cannabis products at all times, both on-duty and off-duty.

All employees are banned from using recreational pot while on-duty or in the workplace, she added.
Interesting. Seems to open them up to a lawsuit; I assume AC tell their staff they can't drink for 8h or something before a flight (or is that just ATC), and can see them saying you're not allowed to use pot for some period of time before a flight... But if they're on some sort of vacation and want to use a legal substance way before their next flight... isn't that a breach of their rights?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:49 pm

This wouldn't survive a court challenge. AC would need to provide some sort of timeline underpinned by a scientific understanding of the effects on the body. This exceeds the policies for government agencies like the military.
skybluesea likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.