Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC revises its alcohol and drug policy to include cannabis ahead of legalization

AC revises its alcohol and drug policy to include cannabis ahead of legalization

Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I'm right now in Chicago, and there are lots of malls here.

Despite that, I packed clothes for the week.
In how many circumstances would your selection of clothes get you arrested by any conceivable happenstance?

I travel with a colleague who smokes like a chimney, she doesn't bring a whole carton of cigarettes with her.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:55 pm

Despite what the CBC says, the flight diverted because of weather, not maintenance.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tracon
Despite what the CBC says, the flight diverted because of weather, not maintenance.
The article made it sound like fog AND autoland issues forced the diversion.

I find it hard to believe a 787 couldn't land at YVR in fog unless SOMETHING was broken.

But I generally trust your input on YVR ATC matters.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 8:29 pm
Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

delete

Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:33 pm
ecc

Programs: Air Canada/Aeroplan E50K, Mariott Gold Elite, Hotels.com Gold, Best Western Diamond Select,
Originally Posted by skybluesea
Yup, AC will immediately amend SOP for Explosive Decompression Emergency Descent to allow flight attendants to go around to first pick-up contraband, or would you prefer seat belt sign remain off until everyone has personally disposed?

Although, should AC face gaping hole in the cabin area of fuselage, easy to dispose to atmosphere - lesson here keep your junk in easy reach, just in case 🙃
Again it was a hypothetical question😉. But even in the situation you described, which is an expedient disaster and not a flight diverting due to weather, do you really think the plane will land, emergency services show up, trying to help the people on the plane, and CBP will show up with them, chiding people for not having us landing cards, arresting people for passports, and going through people's pockets and luggage for weed? That's crazy man. Seriously.
canadiancow and Badenoch like this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

delete

Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Air Canada could just quickly hand out barf bags and then PAX themselves could make the bad stuff disapear:

ecc likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:21 pm
ecc

Programs: Air Canada/Aeroplan E50K, Mariott Gold Elite, Hotels.com Gold, Best Western Diamond Select,
ecc

Wow, you learn something about yourself every day, I didnt know this about myself, but of course I did post my views on the subject up-thread, so FT rules prevent me from reposting.

�� might you wish to amend your post accordingly?
I don't think we should turn this into a personal thread, but No. In spite of you saying at the first post that you take no stance on legalization, it's clearly evident from your posts in this thread that you seem to have a problem with people using marijuana, people transporting marijuana legally in Canada, and ACs policies.

And having worked with AC corporate security years ago, they are well aware their business, both passenger and cargo, is a favorite tool of drug traffickers.

So when US CBP finds a kilo, or the flight returns to Canada after IRROPS so CBSA finds a kilo of contraband, no longer falls in the simple case of possession.

But can we go back to the point of the article, someone in the legal profession, is telling the public to dispose of their contraband before it is found. It is still a criminal act, regardless if it is found or not, and those in the legal profession should not be counseling disposal of evidence, regardless of where this is done in the first place.

Or do folks here think that drug traffickers should not get caught, and Air Canada should be used as a tool for this purpose?
Case in point... marijuana in Canada is not contraband.

Nor is it contraband on a domestic flight in Canada. Your choice of words and your attitude make your opinions quite clear.

As for Air Canada being used as a tool for drug smuggling, of course (I assume) no-one here supports that. But we don't hold a knife maker responsible if someone gets stabbed, we don't hold a car manufacturer responsible if someone uses a car to rob a bank, etc. We also don't hold ISPs liable if someone sends encrypted data on their network that contains pirated media, or worse.
The scenario in the article is not about drug trafficking - it's about emergency landings of Canadian domestic flights in a country with silly, draconian laws. The thought of someone using a plane diversion to drop off the personal amount to someone in the states, is ludicrous. Especially at Washington State.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
And having worked with AC corporate security years ago, they are well aware their business, both passenger and cargo, is a favorite tool of drug traffickers.

So when US CBP finds a kilo, or the flight returns to Canada after IRROPS so CBSA finds a kilo of contraband, no longer falls in the simple case of possession.

But can we go back to the point of the article, someone in the legal profession, is telling the public to dispose of their contraband before it is found. It is still a criminal act, regardless if it is found or not, and those in the legal profession should not be counseling disposal of evidence, regardless of where this is done in the first place.

Or do folks here think that drug traffickers should not get caught, and Air Canada should be used as a tool for this purpose?
What is being discussed in the article is small amounts for personal use not a kilo and the discussion is about legal use not smuggling or even drug trafficking.

If a lawyer was recommending that I keep possession of a legal substance that becomes illegal due to circumstances beyond my control he would be a lawyer I wouldn't hire.
canadiancow and ecc like this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
You completely misunderstand. Cannabis is not contraband in Canada, and the lawyer was advising people not to bring it to the US. It's perfectly legal to transport within Canada, and that is what this flight was destined.

There is no criminal act to leave cannabis in Canada, and until someone is processed through USCBP they are not in the US. AC flights from YYC-YYZ cross US airspace every day. Have any of those passengers entered the US in the eyes of USCBP? No.
canadiancow, Badenoch and ecc like this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 8:28 pm
Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch
It is completely legal for an American to carry a concealable pistol in his checked bags on a domestic flight. If his flight is diverted to Canada and there is an equipment change would Canada charge him with importing a prohibited firearm? Should Americans not carry guns on domestic flights on the very rare chance they might be diverted to Canada and have to stay overnight for a replacement plane
Americans get arrested every day for their ignorance of the validity of their concealed carry permit from state to state.

Like traveling with a gun, traveling with marijuana just doesn't seem necessary to me, the risk of inconvenience is small but the potential inconvenience isn't.

Given the same aircraft can operate domestic and international routes back to back I am surprised Canadian airlines will allow marijuana in the first place since I would imagine discarded drugs on a US bound aircraft could be more than a slight nuisance if CBP decides to do a spot check.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Error 601
since I would imagine discarded drugs on a US bound aircraft could be more than a slight nuisance if CBP decides to do a spot check.
You should imagine yourself the concept of "common carrier" and move along in reality.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 4:06 pm

So when I saw CBP take a dog on an American Eagle aircraft they were just taking her for a walk?
skybluesea likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.