Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC revises its alcohol and drug policy to include cannabis ahead of legalization

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC revises its alcohol and drug policy to include cannabis ahead of legalization

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:27 pm
Original Member

The solution is obvious. Just ban anyone from flying the plane.

Marijuana had been de facto legal in BC for decades. I remember sitting on Jericho Beach in 1984 with a bunch of friends, one of whom was a classic "porhead" and happily toking away. A "jock" looking guy wearing shorts and a t-shirt and carrying a duffel bag walked up, flashed a badge and id'd himself as Vancouver Police.

He simply suggested it was probably not a good idea to be "smoking" in a public park especially with kids nearby, and walked on.

October 18 will be exactly like October 16.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by expert7700
Every AC USA gateway airport has preclearance on Canadian soil. A passenger could be caught by US CBP officers or CBP dogs at the checkpoint or near boarding gates.
True, but AC both fly's people into those stations from other places in Canada, and also to other countries besides the USA. Unless Canada caved and we no longer have the right to walk away from US Pre-Clearance, being stranded in YYZ is far less horrible then being stuck in, IDK, South East Asia.

Does AC get you back to your domestic start point now if you walk away from the US checkpoint?

Originally Posted by KenHamer
October 18 will be exactly like October 16.
It'll be exactly the same in the sense of being the exact opposite of the opening scene of Boardwalk Empire.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 23, 2020 at 11:29 am
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:14 am

In the YYZ Dom MLL just now, AC employee intently reading the “Fit For Duty Policy" web page.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Is it a Canadian trait to ignore the experience in other jurisdictions while furiously attempting to re-invent the wheel? Cannabis is currently legal in several American states. How did air carriers there handle the issue regarding employees? Find out what worked there and do that here.

Other places managed the legalization of cannabis without the fabric of their society being ripped apart. There is no reason Canada can't do the same once we all get past the hysteria.
KDS777 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Is it a Canadian trait to ignore the experience in other jurisdictions while furiously attempting to re-invent the wheel? Cannabis is currently legal in several American states. How did air carriers there handle the issue regarding employees? Find out what worked there and do that here.
Its a human trait, not a Canadian one. But the US is not a good example. Is it possible for CA or CO dispensaries to get bank accounts or take credit cards?

Weed and federally regulated industries in the USA I think falls in to the general category of "cluster f"
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by RangerNS
But the US is not a good example.
It generally never is. The Netherlands would be a better place to look and see what KLM does.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I had a mail drop last week from govt Canada about the upcoming legalization
Old Oct 15, 2018, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by RangerNS
IBut the US is not a good example.
It's still possible to learn from a bad example. Sometimes most insightful observations begin with the phrase, "Well, if we had this to do over again...."
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 23, 2020 at 11:29 am
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, but I don't know why you think legalization of marijuana is going to affect crews.

It's never been hard to obtain in Canada or many other jurisdictions.

If anything, legalization will make it easier to stop improper use.
arf04 and Badenoch like this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

delete
songsc likes this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 23, 2020 at 11:28 am
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
I see a problem here. Impairment may last far longer than individuals who consume believe ( up to 24 hours) , is associated with clear risks, those impaired may well be unaware that they are still impaired and we have no satisfactory testing regime. I agree with skybluesea. This was rushed without full consideration of the implications.

I see an often quoted study that shows that there was no increase in accidents in Colorado. Unfortunately it seems that it may be misquoted. It showed no increase in fatalities but a significant increase in accidents. A low speed auto collision is a lot less harmful, potentially, than a similar aviation incident.
Attached Images
skybluesea and songsc like this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 9:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Law society of BC draft Complaint

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 22, 2020 at 5:17 pm
Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:33 am
ecc

Programs: Air Canada/Aeroplan E50K, Mariott Gold Elite, Hotels.com Gold, Best Western Diamond Select,
Originally Posted by skybluesea
FTrs, Feedback please
———————————
To:Law Society of BC

Copy: Air Canada

RE: Investigation Query

Further to the following article, the Law Society of BC may wish to query whether an investigation is warranted.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5351069

Grounds for such a query may include:

1. Advocacy of destruction of evidence in a criminal undertaking, namely related to importation of a controlled narcotic whereas both Canada & the United States are signatories to treaties for the prevention of the inter-state transport of such contraband.

2. Advocacy that a Canadian corporation (Air Canada) be complicit in such criminal behavior.

please advise how a formal complaint can be rendered in this regard

Regrettably

I'd loose the Google amp link for starters. Addressing a law society with Google mediated content is just weird

Regarding your points:
I don't see how there's any criminal intent here. The article is about a flight that got diverted. There was no motive, intent, or will to smuggle anything across the US border. People were diverted to the US, with its stupid draconian laws, unwillingly.
This is hardly a crime worth of penalty - just as people on this flight weren't immediately arrested and ejected from the USA for not having the proper ID.
Destruction of evidence need an actual crime to take place...at worst, if you dump it on the plane before exiting you've dumped it on essentially Canadian domestic property, as far as I understand it. Once you leave the plane and go through customs and immigration, then you are on US soil.
Even then, there's discretion that's allowed to law enforcement. If there wasn't, we'd replace all police with robots who strictly enforced all laws to the letter.

Weed is legal domestically in Canada. Weed is also legal in Washington State (but yes, you'd go through federal customs/immigration first where it's not). Weed is not a big issue, and not a crime. Deal with it?

I'll qualify this with IANAL, but I did law enforcement work for several years

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.