Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC revises its alcohol and drug policy to include cannabis ahead of legalization

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC revises its alcohol and drug policy to include cannabis ahead of legalization

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 23, 2020 at 11:30 am
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:21 am

Started on a thread on this topic in 2016. Some folks took exception.

LOL.

Official Air Canada Policy on Medical Marijuana
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by jc94
Interesting. Seems to open them up to a lawsuit; I assume AC tell their staff they can't drink for 8h or something before a flight (or is that just ATC), and can see them saying you're not allowed to use pot for some period of time before a flight... But if they're on some sort of vacation and want to use a legal substance way before their next flight... isn't that a breach of their rights?
From the Transport Canada CARs (Canadian Aviation Regulations). I couldn't quickly find the section on alcohol for ATC, but this is for flight crew.
Alcohol or Drugs — Crew Members
602.03 No person shall act as a crew member of an aircraft
(a) within eight hours after consuming an alcoholic beverage;
  • (b) while under the influence of alcohol; or
  • (c) while using any drug that impairs the person’s faculties to the extent that the safety of the aircraft or of persons on board the aircraft is endangered in any way.
jc94 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:27 am

I believe AC's alcohol policy is no alcohol 12 hours before duty starts.
A question about the under the influence part.
Would an alcoholic be considered under the influence 24/7?

As for marijuana, AC's concern may be random drug testing that some countries do.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 23, 2020 at 11:30 am
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
https://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/09/...ada-marijuana/

Air Canada said some of its employees will be banned from using marijuana both on- and off-duty despite recreational use becoming legal in Canada next month.

The company said it has revised its alcohol and drug policy to include cannabis ahead of legalization on Oct. 17.

“The safety of our customers and employees is our top priority,” spokeswoman Isabelle Arthur said in an email. “As a result, employees working in safety-critical areas at the company, including flight operations and aircraft maintenance, will be prohibited from using cannabis and cannabis products at all times, both on-duty and off-duty.

All employees are banned from using recreational pot while on-duty or in the workplace, she added.

What about second hand smoke?
Whether at airports or hotels, it's inevitable that crews will walk by smoking areas where marijuana is being used.
And employees who smoke tobacco? They will be sharing smoking areas with marijuana users.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is all new for Canada. I'm a Californian, where medical use has been legal for a quarter of a century and adult use became legal a couple of years back.
In California, there is really no need to transport cannabis on an airplane. If there's an airport to land at, there's a dispensary nearby. This is the result of a matured market. You'll have that soon enough, because the business is lucrative and barriers to entry compared to potential earnings are pretty low.
As to in-flight use, edibles consumed about an hour before boarding should have you relaxed within a hour of takeoff. If it's a longer flight, and you want to sleep, try caps. They take a less time to be effective, are stronger and last longer.
Rule 1 - do not make your flight the first time you try a particular dose of cannabis. Just don't. Figure that out at home before you travel.
Rule 2 - don't carry flowers on a plane. Especially, if you used some. You'll just get paranoid. No fun.
Btw, for those who don't partake, cannabis is generally a relaxant, not a stimulant. And edible cannabis particularly so. People who have eaten cannabis will primarily seem tired, even downright sleepy to you.
I think you'll find that people acting out, if they've used cannabis, have mixed it with alcohol. And no matter how unfamiliar you are with cannabis, we all know and have seen the effects of alcohol.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by KDS777
I can do one better.

In 2 months from now some faceless bureaucrat will sign a bill into law, and everyone will have untested laws in place with a few word changes but really not very dissimilar to what we have now in regards to intoxication. What will occur and be visible to the public the day after, is no different than what has been happening for decades.

We now return to our screening of "Reefer Madness".
This is not how laws get passed. Politicians pass laws.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

delete
closecover likes this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 23, 2020 at 11:29 am
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rickg523
This is all new for Canada. I'm a Californian, where medical use has been legal for a quarter of a century and adult use became legal a couple of years back.
In California, there is really no need to transport cannabis on an airplane. If there's an airport to land at, there's a dispensary nearby. This is the result of a matured market. You'll have that soon enough, because the business is lucrative and barriers to entry compared to potential earnings are pretty low.
As to in-flight use, edibles consumed about an hour before boarding should have you relaxed within a hour of takeoff. If it's a longer flight, and you want to sleep, try caps. They take a less time to be effective, are stronger and last longer.
Rule 1 - do not make your flight the first time you try a particular dose of cannabis. Just don't. Figure that out at home before you travel.
Rule 2 - don't carry flowers on a plane. Especially, if you used some. You'll just get paranoid. No fun.
Btw, for those who don't partake, cannabis is generally a relaxant, not a stimulant. And edible cannabis particularly so. People who have eaten cannabis will primarily seem tired, even downright sleepy to you.
I think you'll find that people acting out, if they've used cannabis, have mixed it with alcohol. And no matter how unfamiliar you are with cannabis, we all know and have seen the effects of alcohol.
I don't think the concern was passenger use. I agree with all your points though.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS

New signs @ YVR at all entrances and near US check-in

skybluesea likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by D582

New signs @ YVR at all entrances and near US check-in

Similar signs on the monitors above the check in counters the last few days.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

delete
closecover likes this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 23, 2020 at 11:29 am
Old Oct 6, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Do they load bags for people who haven't cleared customs yet? That seems neither a reasonable process, or given the timelines of aircraft movements, even possible, most of the time.

There may, however, be a lot of people that AC has to fly back home after they are denied entry. And they can well wait it out until there is an empty seat to do so.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by RangerNS
There may, however, be a lot of people that AC has to fly back home after they are denied entry. And they can well wait it out until there is an empty seat to do so.
Every AC USA gateway airport has preclearance on Canadian soil. A passenger could be caught by US CBP officers or CBP dogs at the checkpoint or near boarding gates.

In a perfect world checked bags would begin being removed WITHOUT waiting for final boarding to complete, the passengers checkin would be cancelled, and I would move up on the upgrade list

If US denies entry due to prohibited item or lying on a declaration form, I am sure AC has no legal obligation to fly the passenger back to their point of origin or refund any potion of the ticket.

The tricky part is what happens if the US CBP denies entry due to guilt-by-association. (Say someone owns, advocates on social media, or is employed by a business that is federally illegal in the US... cases like this have already made the news). AC may have customers who bought airline transportation in good faith that cannot travel.

Last edited by expert7700; Oct 6, 2018 at 12:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.