Wiki Posts
Search

Dream Trip Help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2003, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Location: Toronto, Canada - AC*E, *Wood gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz Gold
Dream Trip Help

To my amazement, I was able to book a 2 week trip in businees class to Austraila and Hawaii on AP points. The truly amazing part is that I booked the flight on the eve of AC negotiations with the mainline pilots for a trip in July! (only 6 weeks in advance).
To experience the perfect trip, I am looking to maximize hotel awards. I am looking to the expertise of this group to see if there is a way to convert AP miles or One Pass miles into Hotel points. I am currently an Marriott member, but no need to hold that aganist me.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 9:47 am

Off the top of my head: OnePass -> Amtrak Guest Rewards -> Marriot/Starwood/Ritz-Carlton. I think there may be a 25K per year transfer cap and the exchange rate isn't so hot, but from what I hear neither are OnePass miles.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 9:51 am

I have no advice of use that I can share but am glad that you could get your award on such short notice. You'll be on an A340 with PTV which is way better than the DVD players they hand out now. Also, you should be getting the new International J meal service. I have been told that the service starts on the left side of the plane (seats A+C) and then the other side. If you want to be able to eat first then choose seats on this side. Like I said, I have not experienced it but others will correct me if I am wrong.

Welcome to FT

Hope you have a great trip.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I will give the redemption routing a try. YOU hit the One Pass on the head. Not very good - but it will provide me reward travel for intra-Hawaii flights.

If I am flying United, business class on reward tickets do I receive complimentary access to the Red Carpet Lounges?
Old Jun 3, 2003, 9:54 am

You missed avoiding the rate hike for Hilton rewards, but you can transfer 1 CO -> 2 HH, takes 90 days. If go throught the Amtrak route, the 25K cap will apply, but it will only take weeks. Considering you need it by July, that would not be the way to go.2

25K HH points per night @ category 3 (mid-level) Hilton property.

http://www.hilton.com/en/hhonors/rewards/hotel.jhtml
Old Jun 3, 2003, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Cattle,

Thanks for the information. I will adjust my seat alloaction to the left hand side. I am looking forward to seeing AC's new J intl service. I will be able to compare it with United's meal on my SYD - LAX direct return flight.

Great to be here.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 9:58 am

Also, there is at least one person still offering 100K ALON/GLON Hilton award to trade @ Coupon Connections today. That will give you 6 nights at the 2 Hilton Hawaii properties and most (if not all) Hilton properties in Australia. I would guess 50K CO or AC miles would be a fair trade for these awards.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 10:08 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus, Global Entry

If I am flying United, business class on reward tickets do I receive complimentary access to the Red Carpet Lounges?[/B][/QUOTE]

As a business class passenger, you will be given access to the lounge. Enjoy.

IMHO, I would not use points for accomodation, I would use cash and use the points for airline travel.

Enjoy the vacation.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 8:22 pm

Wheels up-- Do enjoy your trip. The AC Business Class has improved significantly. The HNL lounge is quite small but do use the Air NewZealand Lounge in Sydney if you can-- it's just great.
Some words of caution-- DO NOT use Aeroplan Points for Hotels or Car Rentals.
Starwood-- use the Cash+points if available-- you'll get your benefits and the price becomes reasonable. Most of the Australian big cities have Sheratons but I don't know who is awarding the cash+points-- do check at spg.com if you are a Starwood member I suppose you are aware of the 3 stays at Sheraton and collect 6000 airline points promo?? If not try starwood.com/earnmiles
Hope this helps
Old Jun 3, 2003, 11:03 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ac777:
The HNL lounge is quite small</font>
So small in fact, that it doesn't exist anymore...

Old Jun 4, 2003, 5:13 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I have been told that the service starts on the left side of the plane(seats A+C)</font>

They also start at the back, so if you're really hungry go for row 4 or 5. In fact, the service is now getting quite efficient, so anywhere on the left side gets fed fairly quickly.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 7:58 am

Programs: several
Where do you plan to visit in Australia? Mainly towns & cities, or the vast & beautiful countryside too? (I reccommend Northern Queensland!)
Old Jun 4, 2003, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. AC777 I was unaware of the Starwood 3 night promotion - I will definitely be taking advantage of that. I will save my AP miles for flights and pay cash for the hotels.
Does anyone know of any AP partners that fly domestic routes in OZ. Trying to get from Sydney to Cairns on points - but cannot find a way to accomplish this? If I need to purchase a revenue ticket is Virgin Blue the best way to go?
Jral, I am planning on passing on most of the cities and focusing on the GB reef, Cold Coast and visiting the countryside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.