Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Randomly Changes My Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Randomly Changes My Seats

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Actually on AC both J and PE/PY passengers ARE selecting seats in advance!

Originally Posted by Sopwith
Once again, the aviation world would be a better place if AC would simply tell the truth. You are not paying for advance seat selection. You are not selecting a seat in advance. What you are doing is purchasing a lottery ticket, the prize for which is a seat of your choice, with a relatively high chance of winning, but clearly something less than 100%.

If AC would tell people about this simple reality, these sorts of problems would go away.
At least J and PE/PY passengers do have the option to pre-select seats in advance, even at the time of booking or at any time prior to travel.

Not sure what the situation is in Y generally or with the preferred rows in Y.

Some airlines do offer a paid "seat pre-selection" service - but not AC as far as I know.

Regardless, passengers who have given the airline their money, whether it be hard-earned employment income or pension, AND who have the knowledge to track their reservations and immediately act when a change is observed, should have some right TO BE INFORMED at the time and either accept or reject the change.

If they despite having exercised due diligence only find out about a change at the gate, or worse still, after boarding, they should have the right to not travel, particularly on a long-haul TPAC or TATL flight. Gate changes are the airlines' choices and may simply create impossible situations for passengers who are already checked-in.

Is refusing to travel being inconsiderate - when the airlines pull stunts like last-minute changes for no apparent logical reasons? I don't think so!

As to equipment changes, we've gone through several. Being aware of the different equipment used on a route we select seats in the same cabin/class common to all configurations. Because of this we were unaffected on each occasion.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by TemboOne
Is refusing to travel being inconsiderate - when the airlines pull stunts like last-minute changes for no apparent logical reasons? I don't think so!
here is the policy for which you have available to you at anytime that explains the vast majority of schedule disruptions.
https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...Operations.pdf

and let's be clear, your post specifically and without qualification stated that you would use the globally accepted aviation security protocols, intended to safeguard all of us by keeping bombs off airplanes as personal leverage to get your desired seat...

Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
AC charges for advance seat selection when in Y unless you have status or book various fares some
or which offer different selections of prices for various seats.

ie: Lat is any seat free (included), Flex+ is any non preferred seat. Tango is pay unless you are a SE, etc... Many rules, but probably half the the cabin is paying if they want a seat more then 24h out.

If AC doesnt give it to you, you can get a 10% off voucher. And a refund it preferred. I doubt picking a standard seat for $15 TATL that got changed would yield a refund but I’ve never tried.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:44 pm

I said nothing of the sort!

Originally Posted by skybluesea
and let's be clear, your post specifically and without qualification stated that you would use the globally accepted aviation security protocols, intended to safeguard all of us by keeping bombs off airplanes as personal leverage to get your desired seat...
(
You seem to have a very creative interpretation of what you read - and as someone who is or was employed within the aviation industry, you should know better!

I made absolutely no mention of bombs, threats or security - YOU actually brought them into the discussion yourself.

ALL that I said, either directly or implied, was that if AC (or any other carrier for that matter) changed our seats after check-in , either at the gate or on board, we would not travel. I then mentioned or implied that such changes after passengers had checked-in were stupid and unnecessary. I did mention that off-loading baggage was an inconvenience for all and that when airlines look at last second bumping , for their own convenience and all other things being equal, they first pick those with carry-on baggage only.

But, let me put a different situation before you. Should someone who is booked in 1A and 2A on a 789 TPAC lose their seats when a 788 without the second J cabin replaces it - just so that someone with prestige but seated in the aft J cabin can be accommodated? This last minute change can and does happen after check-in has opened! Are the original 1A/2A passengers wrong to refuse to travel if bumped, down to PE or, God forbid, Y?

If an airline chooses to move a passenger after check-in it is their right to do so, BUT the passenger also has the right to decline unacceptable downgrades!

Potential delays caused initially by an airline's last minute actions are the fault of the airline, ATC or Mother Nature. Passengers hold the ultimate lottery ticket; after picking one from the display, and not liking what they see, put it back - don't fly!
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by TemboOne
Of course the more luggage you've checked the better position you're in
THESE ARE YOUR WORDS - the reason this matters, and in my view distasteful, is because hundreds of fellow travelers have died that has led to these necessary security policies to protect you, but also gives you so called leverage to get what you want.

And you either have NO idea why the bag match is in place, or you purposely wish to ignore the reality of why this exists.

might I respectfully suggest...stop digging

ps...and yes I know better to use the lives and potential disruption to others as tool for my own selfish ends...

Last edited by skybluesea; Jun 27, 2018 at 1:09 pm
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:20 pm

Yes, I and many others know wht the bag match is in place

Originally Posted by skybluesea
THESE ARE YOUR WORDS - the reason this matters, and in my view distasteful, is because hundreds of fellow travelers have died that has led to these necessary security policies to protect you, but also gives you so called leverage to get what you want.
And you either have NO idea why the bag match is in place, or you purposely wish to ignore the reality of why this exists.
might I respectfully suggest...stop digging
ps...and yes I know better to use the lives and potential disruption to others as tool for my own selfish ends...
So, you are saying that because of the disasters of the Air India flight off the coast of Ireland, the CP Air flight at Narita, the PAN-AM flight at Lockerbie as well as the growing potential for terrorism, we should all accept the bag-match policy where if the passenger doesn't fly the bags must be off-loaded - AND ACCEPT THE CONSEQUNCES?.

Trying to involve the disaster victims to further the cause of your discussion is just plain callousness in an attempt to validate your opinions and negate mine

All that I highlighted was the fact that because of the bag-match policy airlines who make seat changes AFTER A COUNTER CHECK-IN should realise that there are potential delay consequences should passengers decline to travel. I did NOT suggest that passengers use this as leverage but just mentioned the fact that it exists through no fault of the airlines or passengers. It is very likely that the vast majority of airline passengers have little or no knowlege of the bag-match policy, nor how it works or even that it exists.

A fact that I should have pehaps mentioned that in all cases or examples I used my intent was ONLY in regards to TPAC and TATL and not domestic or US/Caribbean.

You seem to be of the opinion that once a passenger has checked-in AT THE COUNTER and received their boarding they should not be allowed to refuse to travel - BUT that the airlines be free to make changes after the fact? You also try to accuse passengers who refuse to accept whatever the airlines dish up of being selfish? Why? Should someone flying YYZ-HKG just grin and bear it if at the last minute they are dumped into a middle seat or downgraded in cabins? I think not.

Passengers have breaking points and contrary to some opinions, do not travel for the convenience of airlines!
We saw an excellent example at YOW where passengers on another carrier did not accept the treatment meted out or the lack of service. The same airline narrowly avoided a repeat a week later when they diverted a YVR-YYZ flight to YOW because of a short weather delay while everyone else joined one of the holding stacks north of YYZ. Airlines and airports' abilities to keep secrets and keep passengers in the dark is gradually disappearing.

Last edited by TemboOne; Jun 27, 2018 at 2:25 pm
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Closed pending moderator review as this thread has wandered far, far afield from the actual thread topic it remains to be seen whether it may be reopened.

tcook052
Ac forum Mod.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.