Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Randomly Changes My Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Randomly Changes My Seats

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:07 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by sanggyu88
Does this really happen? They switch the equipment and switch it back twice in a span of 2 days without any notification?

If so then I am very dissapointed in this service from Air Canada. Do I need to check my seat selection every hour to verify nothing changes?
Not just your seat selection.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by sanggyu88
I usually fly Korean Airlines and never heard of having to monitor my seat assignment for random changes. I guess now I know that I need to constantly monitor.

I just thought they will take care of you when you buy their premium product.
Happened to me flying business on Korean more times than I would prefer. It's an air travel thing, not an airline thing.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by skybluesea
Can you please report if compensation actually happens - seat musical chairs is quite common, and I never recall such an offer by either telephone or gate agents.

thanks
Same deal and I was awarded compensation. I didn’t find out until an hour before departure so I used the website to make a complaint. I believe I got a 10% coupon which saved me $800. Not bad.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I got $80 back when my preferred seats disappeared. I requested $40 (actual cost), no idea if the rest was IT, incompetence or intentional, but I figured I deserved it.

Never complained when it’s changed otherwise, even from lie flat to domestic (was a puddle hop otherwise different story).

In most cases, AC won’t even acknowledge it and unfortunately their IT is either unwilling or unable to fix. Because there’s no clear ROI?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
I had this same experience several times in the last 18 months on transborder flights with a revenue J tx. Got the same “we can’t take seats from person they are assigned to”. When I asked how it was okay to take my seat, met with total silence.

I did what 24L reported above and in all cases the pax who had my seat were kind and gracious about switching. Gate agent stated she was not permitted to ask pax to switch. Who knows if that’s true.

Unclear if you are SE but your tx are international business class, according to original post. When you get to the airport, perhaps request concierge assistance. Good luck with this.
tinchote likes this.

Last edited by Bartolo; Jun 24, 2018 at 8:27 am
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left

I certainly can't explain AC IT.
I don't think they can either.

(BTW what is their "new" chief information officer doing these days? Still finding the ways around her office? Added: I just noticed, she has been promoted to Senior VP. )
tinchote likes this.

Last edited by Stranger; Jun 23, 2018 at 9:10 am
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
It has happened to me as well, twice this past year. Booked in Business Class. No equipment change (confirmed by AC agent and Concierge); no inoperational seat either. They both said it was a system issue.

For one of the 2 occurrence, seat was changed several times (3 or 4) but I was always able to reselect my original seat. I ended up calling the Concierge and she "locked" me in my seat to prevent anymore movement. I was never offered, or asked for, compensation.

It is just very annoying when it happens. Like 24L, I always monitor (and screenshot) everything!
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Ooooooh, maybe we need a wiki

Flight #:

Date booked in advance of flight:

Seat confirmed at booking:

When discovered that AC mysteriously took your seat away from you:

Seat AC gave you instead of your original:

Date contacted AC:

Response for AC res agent:

Reason AC gave for it being ok to remove you from a seat you booked, but allow someone else to sit in it:

Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:06 am

Let’s not forget AC cancels your flight off a codeshare, and when you get it back your original seat is gone. UA and AC still don’t agree on which seat I actually have.

I know it happens with all airlines, except it’s only ever happened to me with AC.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by 24left
As for AC opening up an IT ticket, that will make no difference as I've reported errors on their website that remained un-solved/ un-addressed for months.
Happens at FlyerTalk too.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: AC35K
I have a feeling it happens when a SE wants the seat and complains about being a multi million mile flyer and wanting a specific seat even although it is already taken. It happened once to me when I was flying to Paris and had my 4K seat given to someone that the crew treated like royalty. I had no idea who the person was. And I don't believe AC's customer service when they say it must be a glitch.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by TorontoGooner
I have a feeling it happens when a SE wants the seat and complains about being a multi million mile flyer and wanting a specific seat even although it is already taken. It happened once to me when I was flying to Paris and had my 4K seat given to someone that the crew treated like royalty. I had no idea who the person was. And I don't believe AC's customer service when they say it must be a glitch.
That may account for some of it, but even as an SEMM I have lost my seat (no equipment change) and saw an E50k (going by current tag on luggage) sit in the seat. And I had a paid J ticket (forget what fare bucket). So there is clearly something else (likely a bug) going on too.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by skybluesea
This might help...

and for OP, sorry to break it to you, Air Canada did NOT in any way agree to the seat assignment in any form, and whatever agents have told you is NOT binding either as they have zero power to alter tariff.

https://www.aircanada.com/content/da..._Tariff_en.pdf

Rule 10

C. Seat Allocation
(1) Carrier does not guarantee allocation of any particular space in the aircraft.

While this may NOT be a satisfactory response for you, in the end, your' getting exactly what you paid for... a seat in business class more or less on schedule, and if AC cannot accomplish this you also regretfully accepted compensation in the form of a refund...at least until the Passenger Protection legislation is implemented.

have a good trip, and I long ago accepted the vagaries of AC as it suits my professional and personal purposes...although this year my AC flying is way down, with lot more flying on OW & SKY as frankly J class is pretty much indistinguishable, except on truly excellent carriers such as SQ, CX & TK.
Quote all the regs you want, but by allowing the OP (and anyone else) to select seats, AC is creating a level of expectation. Then, they fail to meet it. Regardless of what the tariff says, creating then failing to meet this expectation will inevitably leave a bad taste in the customer's mouth ... their failure to correct their multitude IT issues is just shoddy business.

Originally Posted by Productivity
Happened to me flying business on Korean more times than I would prefer. It's an air travel thing, not an airline thing.
I dunno, I have flown YYZ-ICN-YYZ on KE 30 - 35 times and I have yet to have any issues with Korean. But I have had the same situation as the OP more than once when flying AC on other routes. So I will respectfully disagree - in my experience it's very much an airline thing.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:43 pm

Hanlon’s Razor?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TorontoGooner
I don't believe that's normally the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.