Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Notice of Denied Boarding Compensation - EU Member Countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Notice of Denied Boarding Compensation - EU Member Countries

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2018, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Notice of Denied Boarding Compensation - EU Member Countries

Hi hi,

We were travelling on AC 859 on 16 June from Heathrow to Pearson. A Heathrow Airport staff handed two pieces of paper to everyone at the gate: Notice of Denied Boarding Compensation - EU Member Countries, and another slip with instruction on how to get a promotional code. The notice mentioned that a compensation of EUR 900 as voucher or EUR 600 in draft cheque may be request due to EU 261 regulation. Now, do we choose either the promotional code or the compensation or both? For the compensation, do it actually apply because we actually took the flight to Pearson? The form has just 2 options for delay over 4 hours, and a choice or coupon or draft cheque. Do we send just that to Air Canada? It does not ask for any trip details and personal informations.

Where can I get a verification note from Air Canada about the delay, needed for insurance reimbursement?

God bless.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
It appears that AC 869 arrived 4h11 late on the date you mentioned, meaning that you are entitled to compensation if Toronto was your final destination (or you arrived to your final destination more than 4 hours late) and the delay was controllable.

You should contact Air Canada directly to request compensation, spelling out the essential details including date, flight number, booking reference or ticket number. It's always better to request monetary compensation rather than airline funny money and acceptance of any promo codes may waive your right to compensation under the EU regulation.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
TAKE.THE.MONEY

promo codes and vouchers are like mail in rebates. Such a high breakage percentage. Don't fall victim to that.

Get the $. Then you can choose how to spend it next time.

/props to Heathrow for passing out vouchers.

//Story time: Last month, a family member was in Rome for a 5 hr delayed AC flight. With a tour group of 67 people. They had no idea they were due compensation. Asked at the airport and there were no forms despite being required by EU law. Agent called headquarters who could only offer a % off coupon.

Fast forward a month and ALL 67 tour people got their ~$704 USD EU compensation checks in the mail. With a huge thank you to me in all further communication from the group leader. Not only that but I had told the group to use the 5hr delay to make friends and spread the word to all other passenger on the widebody aircraft. (If I were there I would have printed 400 copies of the claim info/template in the lounge and distributed it in the boarding line).
imverge, Bohemian1 and jc94 like this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The paper from HAL is irrelevant. It deals with denied boarding compensation and you were not denied boarding. You say that you were delayed. That is a different part of EC 261/2004. Unless the delay was due to an "extraordinary circumstance" ("under control of AC is irrelevant"), you are due EUR 600 in cash or cash-equivalent.

Why was your flight delayed? That is a critical question.

If AC wishes, it may also offer a voucher, typically for more than the cash amount. If offered, you may choose to accept that. But, do understand that it is entirely your choice. I would not be so quick to reject a voucher. It all depends on your needs and your flying patterns. You need to check its terms carefully. If you are a regular flier, you could use a voucher to purchase tickets and thus do 50% better. But, if you are an infrequent flier and don't use the voucher, you lose all the value and are better off with the cash. Don't jump one way or the other without some serious thought.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:23 pm

Money money money!

Those airline vouchers mean your committed to their terms & conditions.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally, knowing I will make good use of the voucher for my next trip, voucher is the choice. As good as cash and more, so...

Bottom line, it all depends. If odds of buying a tickets with the airline in question are low, get the cash. If they are near 100%, voucher is obviously better.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by global happy traveller
Money money money!

Those airline vouchers mean your committed to their terms & conditions.
Suppose the terms are just fine (for OP)? Why impose your concern about a voucher you have not even read on someone else, who presumably will read the t&c before he makes a premature judgment?

If you have been burned by making a poor choice, that is a function of not being careful.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

When we arrived Heathrow, the flight info board showing a departure time of 1800. We were told at the connection desk the flight would depart at 2230 instead. The connection desk gave each of us GBP 10 meal voucher. As for the reason for the delay, we did not ask as we thought it was probably due to weather or something. Other passengers told us that the check-in desk mentioned that the inbound aircraft had a bird strike and must be taken out for service, AC was to send another aircraft to pick us up.

So, is that "Notice of Denied Boarding Compensation - EU Member Countries" relevant in this case? Am I suppose to contact Air Canada for any compensation? Meanwhile, should I wait until the compensation issue is resolved in order to claim the promotional code? (Must I choose one of the two?) Air Canada seems to be above many of the top-rated airlines, I was not expecting they would provide anything other than a meal voucher for a short delay like this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LMYRMQ622003250

So, is that "Notice of Denied Boarding Compensation - EU Member Countries" relevant in this case? Am I suppose to contact Air Canada for any compensation? Meanwhile, should I wait until the compensation issue is resolved in order to claim the promotional code? (Must I choose one of the two?) Air Canada seems to be above many of the top-rated airlines, I was not expecting they would provide anything other than a meal voucher for a short delay like this.
It would appear they gave you the wrong form, but indeed you may qualify for compensation under EU regulations. That is, if you arrived at your final destination with a delay over four hours. EU regulations apply (1) to EU-based airlines and (2) to all flights from the EU. So they do appply here. You should send your request to AC. Mentioning the EU law and the specific rule.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Suppose the terms are just fine (for OP)? Why impose your concern about a voucher you have not even read on someone else, who presumably will read the t&c before he makes a premature judgment?

If you have been burned by making a poor choice, that is a function of not being careful.

Are these the terms and conditions that you mentioned?
From the Notice of Denied Boarding Compensation - EU Member Countries
"Travel Voucher - in the amount of EUR 900 - Valid for 1 year from date of issue, non-exchangeable, non convertible into money. Valid for travel on Air Canada, Air Canada Express, and Air Canada rouge operated flights only."

From the slip regarding the promotion code
"You have 60 days to retrieve your code which can be applied to new tickets purchased fro travel completed within the next 13 months."

Are there any additional terms hidden on the website that I should be aware of.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Personally, knowing I will make good use of the voucher for my next trip, voucher is the choice. As good as cash and more, so...

Bottom line, it all depends. If odds of buying a tickets with the airline in question are low, get the cash. If they are near 100%, voucher is obviously better.
But can the vouchers be applied against 'carrier surcharges"?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

It would appear they gave you the wrong form, but indeed you may qualify for compensation under EU regulations. That is, if you arrived at your final destination with a delay over four hours. EU regulations apply (1) to EU-based airlines and (2) to all flights from the EU. So they do appply here. You should send your request to AC. Mentioning the EU law and the specific rule.
What are the relevant specific EU law and specific rule? I searched online and it seems that there is only EU261/2004, which is the one shown on the form.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LMYRMQ622003250
What are the relevant specific EU law and specific rule? I searched online and it seems that there is only EU261/2004, which is the one shown on the form.
It is. Covers different situations. Delays, and denied boarding.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Need to read and understand all the fine print!

This is an aspect that may well be overlooked and might invalidate any potetial compensation claim.

Anyone returning from Europe to a feeder airport via gateways such as YUL, YYZ or YVR may have scheduled a long break between connections and could potentially be +4hours late TATL yet still nake their onward connection to their "final destination" with less than a four hour delay, possibly invalidating any potential claim qualification under EU261's four hour rule.

I fly to / from Europe out of YYZ, connecting from either YAM or YSB.
Seems like the existence of EU261 might actually make travelling on separate TATL and domestic feeder tickets a wiser but more costly choice.

It really would be helpful if someone could post a scan of these AC provided EU261 forms / vouchers with all the relative fine print visible, blocking personal info and serial numbers..

Last edited by TemboOne; Jun 17, 2018 at 10:12 pm Reason: clarification re connecting flights and 4 hour rule
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
One of the big caveats of AC vouchers is that they typically cannot be used on tickets that include another airline, even if the AC portion of the ticket is much greater in value than the voucher amount. Also, they cannot be used in conjunction with other promo codes, so when seat sales take the form of a promo code, you won't be able to apply the voucher to the lowest fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.