Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Canadian pole vaulter blames Air Canada for busted poles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian pole vaulter blames Air Canada for busted poles

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tcook052
Easier said than done as not all athletes are millionaires who can afford such contingencies.I recall hearing the story of some Olympic hopefuls working 2 part-time jobs while trying to train before the 'Own The Podium' program was created. Just saying...
You know, with the number of Instagram followers she has, she should easily be able to buy and ship multiple sets of poles using various shipping methods to absolutely ensure that she covers all contingencies. /s

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Bringing a backup hard drive is not in the same cost & logistical universe as shipping a second set of 5m long high jump poles.
Not just that, but as I sarcastically allude to above, the backup set would have to be transported using a different carrier just in case. It's the equivalent of Formula 1 teams putting each car on a different flight.

Also: look up the definition of "extort". You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
+1
Old May 24, 2018, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by ffsim
You know, with the number of Instagram followers she has, she should easily be able to buy and ship multiple sets of poles using various shipping methods to absolutely ensure that she covers all contingencies. /s
You know, that just isn't feasible for all athletes. And how does having lots of subscribers automatically make one rich?
Old May 24, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
You know, that just isn't feasible for all athletes. And how does having lots of subscribers automatically make one rich?
I guess I should've used /sarcasm instead of the shorthand /s
Old May 24, 2018, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffsim
I guess I should've used /sarcasm instead of the shorthand /s
Yes, as I vaulted over that shorthand /s.
ffsim, CZAMFlyer and smallmj like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
No one is saying she needs to have five or ten sets.

One spare set available at home in case of any issues. She could have avoided her issues in Doha had she had a backup set available that could have been shipped to her.

Find a sponsor willing to pony up (after all she has even MORE followers now than before), get it done.
Old May 24, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jazzsax

One spare set available at home in case of any issues. She could have avoided her issues in Doha had she had a backup set available that could have been shipped to her.

Find a sponsor willing to pony up (after all she has even MORE followers now than before), get it done.
Ok, you must be her coach?
You're not doing a good enough job then.
Old May 24, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold

Who says she didn't have a backup set? And that it wasn't shipped to her?
Old May 24, 2018, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Who says she didn't have a backup set? And that it wasn't shipped to her?
The linked article says she borrowed poles from other competitors at the event so it didn't seem that she had spares available to be sent or at least not sent in enough time to arrive before the competition.
Old May 24, 2018, 4:16 pm

Bringing a backup hard drive is not in the same cost & logistical universe as shipping a second set of 5m long high jump poles.
Also: look up the definition of "extort". You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
If you want to argue about semantics, lets argue about the fact she's using her social media influence to extort significantly more than she is entitled to compared to the tariffs. She could have paid for extra insurance from AC but didn't. She has essentially burdened her extra costs onto us, average traveller.

She chose this as her profession. She should be prepared for the consequences.

And actually, depending on the data and recovery required, you would be surprised at the costs on some IT products. It's not just the drive but the software, lost productivity, etc. Want to argue about all that too???

Let's agree that some of you are ignoring the point that she could have done more here. AC did more than they were required to. She did the bare minimum.
Old May 24, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
The linked article says she borrowed poles from other competitors at the event so it didn't seem that she had spares available to be sent or at least not sent in enough time to arrive before the competition.
Sounds like a pretty good reason for not being able to just have spares lying around:

Last Thursday, Newman drove to Buffalo to pick up a new series of poles shipped from the United States, courtesy of Canada's largest airline. They are similar to the Carbon Mystic vaulting pole the 23-year-old had used for five years, so it's now a matter of breaking them in.
Presumably it's easy enough to find loaner poles which is probably quicker and easier and cheaper than having a spare set, as neither would be broken in to her exact rhythm.
tcook052 likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
If you want to argue about semantics, lets argue about the fact she's using her social media influence to extort significantly more than she is entitled to compared to the tariffs. She could have paid for extra insurance from AC but didn't. She has essentially burdened her extra costs onto us, average traveller.

She chose this as her profession. She should be prepared for the consequences.

And actually, depending on the data and recovery required, you would be surprised at the costs on some IT products. It's not just the drive but the software, lost productivity, etc. Want to argue about all that too???

Let's agree that some of you are ignoring the point that she could have done more here. AC did more than they were required to. She did the bare minimum.
Interesting opinions. Yes please, I would like to address your points.

Argue about semantics: you're comparing your paperback-sized hard drive to a rigid 15+ foot long tube and saying they're equivalent when it comes to ease of shipping globally. They are not.
Social media extortion: beaten to death. Refer to my Montoya quote above.
Burdened costs: I find it telling how some people make airline payouts about themselves personally. More than one person disregarded the possibility the airline's insurance may have paid for the replacement poles, thus not burdening the traveling public at all. It's unlikely any single baggage-replacement claim will translate into higher premiums to be passed to the poor consumer.
Costs on IT products. Included in your costs are intangibles, such as content of software and lost productivity. I'm debating your point about shipping costs, not the costs of failing to receive the item in working order at the other end. The cost of bringing along a backup hard drive would be, what, zero?
Bare minimum: If packing the poles in a rigid, padded tube strong enough to survive the normal rigours of airline handling is the bare minimum, then yes, I guess she achieved that. I'm curious what added measure need be taken? Orange fragile tags? Bubble wrap? Several dozen cushions? Door to door attendants? Chartered PoleJet? Maybe hire some pole-ice officers?
Old May 25, 2018, 11:18 am

No point in arguing with you.... shipping poles is a pain in the butt, and you believe you're right on everything. We could be debating for months with no end in sight.

That said...

You thought your air travel was bad? Try flying with pole vault poles | OregonLive.com

Kendrick's has a secondary set waiting to go in case something gets missing or broken.... and I'm sure she's not the only one.

So really... get a spare set, quit complaining (because if you google you'll find this isn't just an AC issue... it happens with every airline) and be prepared to either share someones poles if you don't want a backup set, or have a backup ready to ship off.

Google is your friend... you'll find that others have had issues, worked with backups or borrowed poles, and this isn't the first time someone had to borrow poles for a Diamond meet.

But it is one of the first where the vaulter ripped the airline to shreds on social media and took advantage of the situation.

You are in a sport where transporting your equipment is difficult. Deal with it.
Old May 25, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
I wasn't an I'm right, you're wrong* discussion. It was a debate hinged upon compassion and common sense, which are seemingly in short supply.

*However, I work at an airport, so...
Old May 25, 2018, 5:56 pm

I wasn't an I'm right, you're wrong* discussion. It was a debate hinged upon compassion and common sense, which are seemingly in short supply.

*However, I work at an airport, so...
LOL was just going to say.... there's some irony in that statement... compassion from airport employees? Maybe from the shoe shine guy.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
I am confused. If you travel with a checked item and the airline accepts the item, why is it unreasonable to expect that item will arrive, with you, intact, at your destination? So what if it is difficult to handle? Aren't the handlers professionals?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.