Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Canadian pole vaulter blames Air Canada for busted poles

Old May 3, 2018, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

The Commonwealth Games pole vault champ took aim at the airline on social media Thursday after discovering her tools of the trade were in poor condition — and busted right in half — while in transit to track and field’s Diamond League opener at Doha, Qatar.

“My heart is broken and so are all my poles thanks to Air Canada,” the rising Canadian star wrote in an Instagram and Twitter post. “For years, I’ve put my trust into you as an airline to get my poles and equipment safely to my competitions, spending thousands of dollars weekly on flights and poles. This is how you treat people’s stuff? It’s (a) shame and I am completely embarrassed to have called you the best airline. I’ve never felt so let down.”

http://lfpress.com/sports/local-spor...r-busted-poles
Old May 3, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
As an Official Olympic Partner, you'd think AC would have failsafe methods in place to ensure safe passage of oversize and delicate equipment. Having watched AC ground staff abuse bags of all shapes & sizes every day, I'm surprised more stuff isn't reported damaged.

I also wonder if blame may lie with an airport baggage system or with whichever airline took the poles to Doha.
Old May 3, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
As an Official Olympic Partner, you'd think AC would have failsafe methods in place to ensure safe passage of oversize and delicate equipment. Having watched AC ground staff abuse bags of all shapes & sizes every day, I'm surprised more stuff isn't reported damaged.

I also wonder if blame may lie with an airport baggage system or with whichever airline took the poles to Doha.
That's my question. The final carrier has to take responsibility, right? So not only is there no evidence that AC broke anything, but AC isn't even the legally responsible party here.
Old May 3, 2018, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AC vaults to new highs?
Old May 3, 2018, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Champion Canadian pole vaulter rants at Air Canada on Twitter for breaking her equipment | CBC News

In an email statement, Air Canada spokesperson Peter Fitzpatrick said the airline is in touch with the customer and is arranging to get new equipment to her.
Old May 3, 2018, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
As an Official Olympic Partner, you'd think AC would have failsafe methods in place to ensure safe passage of oversize and delicate equipment.
His name is Murphy and he isn't a friendly individual.
Old May 3, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tcook052
Champion Canadian pole vaulter rants at Air Canada on Twitter for breaking her equipment CBC News

In an email statement, Air Canada spokesperson Peter Fitzpatrick said the airline is in touch with the customer and is arranging to get new equipment to her.
It’s amazing how quickly large corporations are willing to discuss the particulars of individual cases when they’re likely to be perceived as doing the right thing. The rest of the time, it’s generally, “we don’t discuss individual cases in public.”

Good on AC for stepping up and replacing the equipment ^
Old May 3, 2018, 4:00 pm

You mean you can't fold it in half?!
Old May 3, 2018, 4:07 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
You mean you can't fold it in half?!
Only once.
Old May 3, 2018, 6:06 pm

Good on AC for replacing the equipment.

Years ago I was talking a survey pole to Greece, so three tubes of steel collapsed, and the thing got pinched and bent. Took photos, sent it all in to AC, and they reimbursed the purchase cost, shipping cost, and cost of us having to buy a hideously expensive Leica pole in Athens.
Old May 3, 2018, 11:05 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Pole vault poles are an oddly shaped and rather delicate, and most airlines would really rather not deal with them. A few years back, I found myself flying out of town the day after a college national championship in track & field finished up, and got talking with my seat mate who had been competing there. She mentioned that her team had had enough problems with poles and javelins damaged in shipping by air that if a meet was within about a two day ground shipping radius (but still far enough away to fly the people on the team out) they'd far rather send poles to the site via Fedex/UPS ground because they typically arrived in better condition that way.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: Back of the bus
Isn't this what insurance is for?

Insure your special gear. Stuff gets damaged. Poles or not. It's a part of travel.

"Hi I'm a pole vaulter, I bought a basic economy fare, and I'm going to cry on social media that my stuff got damaged."

Great way to up his/her instagram likes, become an endorser for some other product and make money.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by jazzsax
Isn't this what insurance is for?

Insure your special gear. Stuff gets damaged. Poles or not. It's a part of travel.

"Hi I'm a pole vaulter, I bought a basic economy fare, and I'm going to cry on social media that my stuff got damaged."

Great way to up his/her instagram likes, become an endorser for some other product and make money.
Did you miss the part about the reason for her trip? The part about her going to take part in a competition?
The issue would seem to be that the gear she needed to compete was destroyed en route.
That she's out some money and wants compensation is secondary.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I quickly read the article... and I didn't see where she flew from... so based on that, I had no clue that AC flew any commercial metal to DOH! I'm such a FOTSG!
(It might be mentioned in her series of tweets, which I didn't read)
Old May 4, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by HomerJay
Did you miss the part about the reason for her trip? The part about her going to take part in a competition?
The issue would seem to be that the gear she needed to compete was destroyed en route.
That she's out some money and wants compensation is secondary.
Also, she's competing in a Diamond League meet, and those meeting cover plane fare for invited athletes. (As well as other expenses and a sliding scale appearance fee depending on how many tickets your name is thought to sell. I remember Lolo Jones saying she made more by making it to the starting line for the Monaco DL stop as a hurdler than she did for an entire season of bobsleeding in the winter)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.