Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Business Class Pilots Take Priority Deadheading

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Class Pilots Take Priority Deadheading

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:51 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I thought this board had overwhelmingly decided that there should be no room for discretion with Air Canada.
Room?

Or capacity?
CZAMFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:54 am

P e t t y
e
t
t
y
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
This is new for me.

Captain and FO in J, and I was number 1 on the list.

I was just discussing this with someone (who was number 2), and it seems like the main issue is that they're in uniform. It's still an annoyance to sit in Y, but it's the uniform that makes you "feel bad".
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
This is new for me.

Captain and FO in J, and I was number 1 on the list.

I was just discussing this with someone (who was number 2), and it seems like the main issue is that they're in uniform. It's still an annoyance to sit in Y, but it's the uniform that makes you "feel bad".
I don't understand. So were you ahead of them?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:27 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Deadheading pilots get J even before paid J passengers.

I wonder if they devalue the J cabin?
Devaluing J happens with Cheap fares Ex Europe
Old Jun 12, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
It's still an annoyance to sit in Y
Did you buy a J ticket or a Y ticket? One justifies the annoyance; the other does not.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Did you buy a J ticket or a Y ticket? One justifies the annoyance; the other does not.
This is what happens when AC offers Y fares with more AQM than J. I assume the issues is, if memory serves, deadheading pilots et J. FO do not.

If thats correct, one eUp should have been proposed and the FO bumped back to Y. If FO are also J entitled deadheading then AC followed rules and that’s end of (except of course on FT )
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I don't understand. So were you ahead of them?
No. Deadheading pilots are guaranteed J. If the cabin is entirely full J SEMM, the deadheading pilot wins.

My intent was to make it clear I'm not complaining. If that wasn't clear, I had a debate with my friend about whether this was "right" or not. My argument basically ended with "This is paid J. They took this perk instead of more money." After that, we both agreed that the uniforms created a "feel bad" situation. I'm going to write another post about the onload processing, but I'm pretty happy with how this turned out.

But you can't fault me for being annoyed at sitting in Y. I didn't pay for it, and I wasn't the most entitled to the last seat, and I agree with all that. But I'm allowed to have emotions.

Originally Posted by jc94

This is what happens when AC offers Y fares with more AQM than J. I assume the issues is, if memory serves, deadheading pilots et J. FO do not.

If thats correct, one eUp should have been proposed and the FO bumped back to Y. If FO are also J entitled deadheading then AC followed rules and that’s end of (except of course on FT )
All deadheading mainline pilots are guaranteed J.

That's relatively new, but I was aware of it when I made my post.

I am 99% sure nothing shady was done, and that was not the point of my post in this thread.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I wonder what the J loads were during the last contract standoff?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
But you can't fault me for being annoyed at sitting in Y. I didn't pay for it, and I wasn't the most entitled to the last seat, and I agree with all that. But I'm allowed to have emotions.
Of course we're all "allowed" to own a range of emotions. I'm just not sure the use of 'annoyance' is an appropriate sentiment to use when describing not being able to sit in the cabin class for which one didn't pay. Disappointment, lamentation or even a tinge of sadness may be expected. But annoyed? It just seems...I dunno...
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
@canadiancow

I'm not understanding what a "feel bad" situation is... do you mean mad?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
@canadiancow

I'm not understanding what a "feel bad" situation is... do you mean mad?
It wasn't my phrase, but I think it describes things quite well.

When you miss an upgrade, you accept it. When you miss an upgrade, only to board and see obvious (uniformed) employees sitting in J, you "feel bad".

That was the whole point of this thread, right?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
It wasn't my phrase, but I think it describes things quite well.

When you miss an upgrade, you accept it. When you miss an upgrade, only to board and see obvious (uniformed) employees sitting in J, you "feel bad".

That was the whole point of this thread, right?
Ok... I understand. I only refer to "feeling bad" when, for example, I pull a prank on someone and they start crying. That's when I would feel bad. If I miss my upgrade and see said employees sitting in J, I'd probably feel immediate annoyance, and then hopefully get over it quickly and think about puppies and ponies while looking at clouds. I've only missed an upgrade once as #1 on the list (I was shown on the screen by the concierge - before the list became public)... but since I boarded on the Y jetway, I never saw if there were uniforms (FOs/SDs/FAs) in J
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Ok... I understand. I only refer to "feeling bad" when, for example, I pull a prank on someone and they start crying. That's when I would feel bad. If I miss my upgrade and see said employees sitting in J, I'd probably feel immediate annoyance, and then hopefully get over it quickly and think about puppies and ponies while looking at clouds. I've only missed an upgrade once as #1 on the list (I was shown on the screen by the concierge - before the list became public)... but since I boarded on the Y jetway, I never saw if there were uniforms (FOs/SDs/FAs) in J
Please do not pull any pranks on me !!!
jc94 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
I don't feel bad if I see a uniform pilot in J. I know it is a perk in their contract, and they earned it via negotiation. I'm sure AC would prefer to sell you the seat if possible, but they had to give that up in exchange for some other concession. part of doing business.
DrunkCargo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.