Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Business Class Pilots Take Priority Deadheading

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Class Pilots Take Priority Deadheading

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by GateGuardian
I've seen Delta pilots sit middle seat economy on some flights.
You don't know if that pilot is traveling on their own account or because they have been assigned to meet up with an aircraft to start work in a different city that where they normally work from.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ridefar

Do they (FA or pilots) appear in the wait list in the app?
FAs definitely do because they're not guaranteed J.

I think pilots do too, but with the same priority as a GTE revenue passenger. They're confirmed on the flight, but without a seat assignment. Though I could be wrong about this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by GateGuardian
I've seen Delta pilots sit middle seat economy on some flights.
As do AC Pilots frequently in uniform while commuting. How would you know unequivocally if they are deadheading/positioning on Company Business?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
FAs definitely do because they're not guaranteed J.

I think pilots do too, but with the same priority as a GTE revenue passenger. They're confirmed on the flight, but without a seat assignment. Though I could be wrong about this.
so this just a data point for you based on the observation (by me) that higher priority upgrades get processed first and are seated at the front of the cabin for gate upgrades. It doesn’t happen very often but when I get gate upgraded I get the first seat available counting front to back and alphabetically. Anyway: seven seats, seven upgrades on AC150 tonight. Off duty pilot in 1C, uniformed FA in 1D. That would suggest to me they had priority over eUPs or are processed first. But there could be other explanations and it is just one data point.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar

so this just a data point for you based on the observation (by me) that higher priority upgrades get processed first and are seated at the front of the cabin for gate upgrades. It doesn’t happen very often but when I get gate upgraded I get the first seat available counting front to back and alphabetically. Anyway: seven seats, seven upgrades on AC150 tonight. Off duty pilot in 1C, uniformed FA in 1D. That would suggest to me they had priority over eUPs or are processed first. But there could be other explanations and it is just one data point.
I'm sure our resident SD could chime in, but I'm almost positive an FA would never have priority over an eUp.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:16 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Deadheading pilots will get J before any gate upgrades are processed.
Deadheading pilots get J even before paid J passengers.

I wonder if they devalue the J cabin?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: none
A lot of companies send their employees on business trips out of town, flying in premium class at company expense. Whenever you see an executive, celebrity, sports figure, etc. flying up front on someone else's dime, do you get jealous? Do you think, "that passenger is just taking someone's (or MY) legitimate upgrade.?" What about the flyer who pays for his/her own ticket for some reason?

So what's the big deal when an airline does it?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Because thats what their contract was negotiated. I'm sure wherever you work you have some benefits.
The same reason they are paid X, their medical benefits are Y, or retirement benefits are Z.

It's none of your business is the answer. It's in there contract.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
We are talking about a company that is going to the market with a value proposition that "business class air travel" is worth the cost.

It would be odd if they chose to not actually make use of the service they are pitching in the marketplace for some of their more senior people. They trust the captain to manage a multi-million dollar piece of equipment and the lives of hundreds of passengers. I think that you could make the case that travel for someone with that authority is appropriate especially if they are expected to work as soon as they get off the flight.
pitz and Crampedin13A like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
Because thats what their contract was negotiated. I'm sure wherever you work you have some benefits.
The same reason they are paid X, their medical benefits are Y, or retirement benefits are Z.

It's none of your business is the answer. It's in there contract.
The difference here is that from the perspective of the public, it's just as likely that there were some GA shenanigans (I have personally been impacted by this on AC, and the DL forum is full of it) where they decided to give a seat to a FA rather than the person on the eUpgrade list.

With pilots, it's harder to tell, because they could be deadheading, or they could be commuting, but a passenger cannot tell the difference.

When a senior manage of IBM is in J, you know IBM paid for it (one way or another). When a uniformed AC employee is in J, there's always a chance that they illegitimately took a seat away from an eUpgrader. I think that chance is very low, but it's non-zero.

And that's why threads like this exist.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:29 am

Non R-space eUpgrades have always been completely discretionary. If upgradeability on eUpgrades was predictable outside of the R space process which provides a confirmation of such, rarely rescinded, then there is the risk that people will substitute revenue J travel for cheaper Y tickets.

I think a few posters are a bit butthurt that they haven't negotiated a J travel entitlement with their employers, and feel that AC should be making up for that somehow.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:40 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
Because thats what their contract was negotiated
The benefits of a strong union.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by pitz
I think a few posters are a bit butthurt that they haven't negotiated a J travel entitlement with their employers, and feel that AC should be making up for that somehow.
Or some SEs are butthurt because their upgrades didn't always go through and resent being forced to sit in the back while pilots get the better seats.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Or some SEs are butthurt because their upgrades didn't always go through and resent being forced to sit in the back while pilots get the better seats.
i reread the thread. I don’t see much in the way of butthurt. Seems people are looking for arguments and accusations. Besides if your eUp only clears at the gate you are doing it wrong. . Try not to take that too seriously.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by pitz
Non R-space eUpgrades have always been completely discretionary.
I thought this board had overwhelmingly decided that there should be no room for discretion with Air Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.