Jumper Jack
knotseh
Bohemian1 (with swag)
PhilElite
canadiancow

Waitlisted:

VDB:
maradori

Current Location Choices (Please add your preference here - Downtown & Broadway Locations)
Cactus Club Broadway/English Bay/Robson
AnnaLena
Cafe Medina
The Keg (?)
Miku or Minami's / sushi place?
Print Wikipost

YVR Mini-DO , Saturday, March 10

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:01 pm

Darn, I'll be working until 6pm that day ... if the Do drags on, let me know and I'll head in, but otherwise looks like I'll be a miss.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
Darn, I'll be working until 6pm that day ... if the Do drags on, let me know and I'll head in, but otherwise looks like I'll be a miss.
Oh noooooooo
Never had a DO w/o you!
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:16 pm

You went to one in YYZ without me. Something about pickles...
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
You went to one in YYZ without me. Something about pickles...
That doesn't count, its not a do hosted by me :/
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The main reason I'm not on the confirmed list is that I have nothing to do that night in YVR
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:25 pm

Well that I can work with! More than happy to head downtown if people are still around.
canadiancow and Jumper Jack like this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:30 pm

Great. Now I just need a hotel that costs less than $400/night.

I'm considering a Gold Floor room at the Fairmont Waterfront, but I'm still better about their handling of my status last year.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow

I'm considering a Gold Floor room at the Fairmont Waterfront, but I'm still better about their handling of my status last year.
Not that you will prob accept it, but you are welcome to the sofa to my apartment that directly face ocean view :P
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:37 pm

Could send an upgrade your way, but that's not gonna get you to Gold, so I don't think that holds much sway. At least Jack's offer actually saves you cash.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:46 pm

Could send an upgrade your way, but that's not gonna get you to Gold, so I don't think that holds much sway. At least Jack's offer actually saves you cash.
I have a Gold floor upgrade expiring next week.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:17 am
Original Poster

I have a Gold floor upgrade expiring next week.
what is this gold floor you guys are talking about?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
what is this gold floor you guys are talking about?
It's Fairmont's version of an Executive/ Club floor
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:45 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Always open to more suggestions if you have anything in mind.
As I will not be attending it seems a bit presumptuous of me to be making suggestions. On the other hand sushi in Vancouver seems awfully conventional, especially for a gang of internationally well travelled frequent flyers.

If you're going to do something vastly more adventurous than the great majority of people would ever consider, like flying to another country for lunch, it just seems to me that something more adventurous than sushi in Vancouver would be on the table.

So I suggest two options; the first is just Google something. Here's the first thing that popped up for me:

https://www.citymash.com/vancouver/2...uld-check-out/

But if you're really brave, as I'm sure many of you are, how about this: find a list of Vancouver restaurants and then by elimination choose one that none of the attendees have ever heard of.
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by KenHamer; Mar 8, 2018 at 2:51 am
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by KenHamer
As I will not be attending it seems a bit presumptuous of me to be making suggestions. On the other hand sushi in Vancouver seems awfully conventional, especially for a gang of internationally well travelled frequent flyers.

If you're going to do something vastly more adventurous than the great majority of people would ever consider, like flying to another country for lunch, it just seems to me that something more adventurous than sushi in Vancouver would be on the table.

So I suggest two options; the first is just Google something. Here's the first thing that popped up for me:

https://www.citymash.com/vancouver/2...uld-check-out/

But if you're really brave, as I'm sure many of you are, how about this: find a list of Vancouver restaurants and then by elimination choose one that none of the attendees have ever heard of.
Well, seeing as Vancouver has pretty much the best Sushi one can have in Canada, it seems more than appropriate that people flying in from other parts of Canada and the US would go out for Sushi.

I have made several same-day Sushi, Ramen, Japadog and K-bowl runs to Vancouver for lunch/dinner just because those foods are available in Vancouver.
knotseh likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Agree with Ken above; having a local attendee select an off-the-grid venue would be the way to spice up the gatherings and encourage further events. I've visited a few of the suggestions in that link, and love the idea of seeing a group of FTers (herd? gaggle? fleet...definitely a Fleet of FlyerTalkers) clustered around a street corner Japadog stand or conversing at Dark Table. That would certainly bring out the personalities.

Agree with jaysona that the sushi in this town is in general the best in the country (indeed, outside Japan), but is it worth flying nine hours in a day to consume? You'd certainly have to be a connoisseur.

Jack, thank you for the invitation, but I'll respectfully decline and hope to make the next one you organize. Saturday is my first free day in a long time and the backcountry beckons before the temps rise. Besides, I'm fresh off the River District Do of Tuesday evening, which was spontaneous for a small fleet of five attendees.
24left likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.