Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Olympian not happy with economy seating

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Olympian not happy with economy seating

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
He was tired when he wrote a poorly written sarcastic comment as per his #sarcasm attached to the original at the time. The comment was taken out of context, and was quickly removed. There is no need for him to "JSTFU" because the only comment he made was to apologize when he deleted his comment. He hasn't said anything else since then.

If you consider he shouldn't have apologized, ok. However, his ability to say I made a mistake, sorry so quickly speaks to his character. He took down his comment when he realized it had grown legs, especially after his friends and teammates pointed it out.

His attitude is one of kindness and generosity. Aside from this unfortunate incident, Sebastien has had an unblemished record. Not too many 25 year old snow boarders let alone adult Canadians can match his personal history of community contribution, drug free history, and willingness to be nice to everyone who crosses his path. It was one isolated tweet. The rending of garments, the wailing and the finger pointing is an over reaction to a non event. He's a good kid who slipped up, but quickly corrected the error. Case closed.
It almost sounds like you know him ...pretty passionate defence of him and a lot of hyperbole about the Olympics. While I have no special animus toward athletes and can appreciate the dedication and skill it takes to achieve elite status, I personally wish the money spent on The Games went toward improving social programs for Canadians. It was bad form for him to diss AC for not upgrading him - he has apologized, fine. But the hagiography seems a little over the top here.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
If he doesn't like it he can pay to upgrade. He's an Olympic athlete, not a soldier who is returning from an active military conflict, or a veteran, or something that is also considered a "noble" profession. Yes, some of you may believe that Olympic athletes hold a noble profession or that Air Canada should have "stepped up" and upgraded all Olympic athletes because they are an official partner, but I suspect the eupgraders on this board would lose their collective cool if they were bumped.
I'm a veteran and not even I think veterans should be upgraded.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: AC E75K, spouse E75K (MM), National Emerald, various hotel programs
Originally Posted by capedreamer
To be fair, my perception of the two original tweets were quite different.

Toutant's seemed like a genuine complaint, full of self-righteousness and entitlement. The US Curling Team's tweet appeared like a good-natured, tongue-in-cheek, half-serious "can't hurt to ask" opportunity for increased social media exposure for the team. This probably explains why the public reaction to each was so different (and why Toutant has deleted his original tweet).
My reaction was somewhat the same. I saw the #sarcasm tag and understood it's meaning. But I also saw the that have gave Air Canada and therefore I took it more as a complaint.

I appreciate all the efforts and sacrifices of our Olympians and have generously supported them through Gold Medal Plates – A Celebration of Canadian Excellence. I'm glad to see Toutant has apologized for the Tweet and hopefully he has learned something in the process about the slippery slope of social media and it's usage.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:50 am

The dispositive issue here is whether any business class seats were available without bumping paid passengers back behind the curtain.

If there were not, the idea of bumping someone who paid for a premium seat - in order to give it to someone who did not - is wrong on about a million levels.

Until we know whether any of those seats up front had been given out to other upgrades, we are simply arguing over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Well.........this guy's individual brand is done I'd say. Sebastien Toutant is toast.

Apologies don't fix things, they are just for letting the individual manipulate those who they still think they can get support from. The concept of tweet whatever you want, then delete it and apologize is a scam and must be recognized for what it is. Apologies are a hollow and meaningless gesture proffered only once caught.

He meant what he said and I support his right to make a total aXX of himself. Perhaps the guys agent can find him work representing snowflakes who melted once out from under the shade of their parents helicopters.

Last edited by KDS777; Feb 27, 2018 at 7:27 am
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by KDS777
Well.........this guy's individual brand is done I'd say.

Apologies don't fix things, they are just for letting the individual manipulate those they still think they can get support from.

He meant what he said and I support his right to make a total aXX of himself. Perhaps the guys agent can find him work representing snowflakes who melted once out from under the shade of their parents helicopters.
Oh come on, he didn't murder someone! He just made a stupid comment about his crappy AC seat that sounded a bit too entitled and then apologized for it relatively quickly. I'm pretty sure most people on here have said worse things at some point in their lives and most of us can't explain it away by youthful excitement over just winning a gold medal. It is, quite literally, yesterday's news and shouldn't have any lasting effect on his snowboard "career" and future endorsements. This thread has been fun, but I think it's time to let this one go
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:04 am
Suspended

I tend to think that suggestions about "Goodwill Gestures" and "Marketing Charm Offensives" are the last refuge of entitled customers who are not getting their unreasonable expectations met.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Complaining about Air Canada, however flawed, is almost as much a national sport as hokey (or even Lacrosse).

But Olympic athletes being whiny prima donas is hardly new, and hardly is a limit to their "brand". I remind you of:

Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:21 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by Guava
Just out of curiosity, do you think AC would have refused to upgrade Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, the double Gold Medalists in Ice Dance and FS Team Event?
Air Canada should have sent those two and their families a private jet to take them home with red carpet event. Or our prime minister Justin can send our jet normally reserve for the royalty.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by yeunganson
Air Canada should have sent those two and their families a private jet to take them home with red carpet event. Or our prime minister Justin can send our jet normally reserve for the royalty.
There are no two people that exemplify team spirit more than "those two". I can say with a high level of certainty, that they would have politely declined a private jet in favour of travelling with their teammates. Really? That is why they are collectively called TEAM Canada.
Guava, canolakid and longtimeflyin like this.

Last edited by ACYYZ/SD; Feb 27, 2018 at 1:49 pm
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Complaining about Air Canada, however flawed, is almost as much a national sport as hokey (or even Lacrosse).
But Olympic athletes being whiny prima donas is hardly new, and hardly is a limit to their "brand". I remind you of: <image>
I don't get it, nor can I find an easy way to access DM archives from the date listed within the jpg name.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Googling McKayla Maroney turns up more recent news, but she made that face on the podium when winning "only" silver or bronze in an Olympics gymnastics event, I guess now 6 years ago.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Seems like our paralympians are sitting in business class on their way to Seoul. Check out Air Canada's latest Instagram stories.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Seems like our paralympians are sitting in business class on their way to Seoul. Check out Air Canada's latest Instagram stories.
Less demand for paraolympics than olympics, same amount of flights. J seats probably didn't sell as much so wasn't a problem selling them to Canadian Paraolympics Governing Board.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by YVRStarFlyer
Less demand for paraolympics than olympics, same amount of flights. J seats probably didn't sell as much so wasn't a problem selling them to Canadian Paraolympics Governing Board.
Spelling Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.