Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Olympian not happy with economy seating

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Olympian not happy with economy seating

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Which AC62 were you on? It appears that he's in the air right now.....
I looked at the date on his tweet, Feb 25, so I assumed he was on my flight on Feb 25.

If he is in fact flying today, I would still suggest the load would be the same or worse as yesterday was the closing ceremonies. Since not everyone who attends the Olympics departs from the event on the same day or even after their events, I would assume all flights from ICN back to YYZ or YVR are full for quite a number of days at this time.

Either way, it really doesn't matter whether he was annoyed at his seat or perhaps he was just joking. It is fantastic that he won a gold medal but since he did not pay for his seat (I assume) then well, blame those who did.

As for some of the snarky comments in this thread, seriously people.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In 2002, I was at a convention in Salt Lake City. I flew home and was on a UA flight SLC-ORD. The Paralympic USA hockey team had won gold. They were all wearing their medals and they were mentioned at boarding and boarded first. All were in economy.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Which AC62 were you on? It appears that he's in the air right now.....
Probably using the in-flight wi-fi that is now available on many of the wide-bodied aircraft. It was available on 061 on Saturday.

I was most surprised transiting through ICN yesterday that there was nothing visible in the airport that would have made you realize that Korea was the host country for the Olympic games. The KE lounge had three TV's - none tuned to the games.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: AC E75K, spouse E75K (MM), National Emerald, various hotel programs
Originally Posted by 24left
Check out the snarky comments in the discussion on Twitter.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Yes, but, did he also get assaulted in his hotel room in Korea ? Maybe that is what it takes.

This "athlete" just ruined the possibility of any sponsorship income he might have been contemplating if they see this.

The entitlement culture permeating our society is disgusting.
ls17031 and longtimeflyin like this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by The Lev
Probably using the in-flight wi-fi that is now available on many of the wide-bodied aircraft. It was available on 061 on Saturday.

I was most surprised transiting through ICN yesterday that there was nothing visible in the airport that would have made you realize that Korea was the host country for the Olympic games. The KE lounge had three TV's - none tuned to the games.

Hmmmm, these are some of the photos I took yesterday, Feb 25 at ICN.

Also, many of the large flatscreens in the OZ lounge were tune to Olympics events. Some Germans sitting near me were watching the German hockey team.

My only observation is that Olympic stuff at ICN was perhaps more low-key or less boastful than the kind of stuff you'd see n the U.S. or Canada or maybe some other countries who host the Olympics. Wo knows.

This is just one of the many screens tuned to live events.

Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:05 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 24left
I looked at the date on his tweet, Feb 25, so I assumed he was on my flight on Feb 25.

If he is in fact flying today, I would still suggest the load would be the same or worse as yesterday was the closing ceremonies. Since not everyone who attends the Olympics departs from the event on the same day or even after their events, I would assume all flights from ICN back to YYZ or YVR are full for quite a number of days at this time.

Either way, it really doesn't matter whether he was annoyed at his seat or perhaps he was just joking. It is fantastic that he won a gold medal but since he did not pay for his seat (I assume) then well, blame those who did.

Tweet was 8 hours ago and he said "today", so it would seem he's flying now.

I agree that plane is likely 100% packed.

As for snark, the tweet itself was pretty snarky and snark tends to beget snark, so what do you expect?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:12 am

Should have heard the whining from the athletes when Air Canada reduced the athlete's status a few years back.

In defence of this particular athlete, Air Canada will maximize his gold medal to Air Canada's best advantage.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by canopus27
Interesting that his Olympic status is actually noted on the file, and shows on the BP
Probably just a special rate .
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Does he really believe that he won the medal "for Canada"? No, he won it for himself. Sure, he has every right to be proud of his accomplishment (as does every other person who works hard and accomplishes something such as graduating from college or getting a job promotion), but it doesn't mean Canada owes him anything. I think he should be happy that someone was nice enough to give him a free flight to and from Korea instead of making him pay his own way to pursue his goals (like the rest of us).
MichaelBaku and longtimeflyin like this.

Last edited by Low Roller; Feb 26, 2018 at 8:43 am
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jc94
So we’re saying AC should auto upgrade gold medal winners? Guess the guys short of eUps if he’s E75k, or dislikes the copay to J.
Over on the DL board, the Americans who won curling gold tried to get DL to give them an upgrade. Didn't work for them either.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:25 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Low Roller
Does he really believe that he won the medal "for Canada"? No, he won it for himself. Sure, he has every right to be proud of his accomplishment (as does every other person who works hard and accomplishes something such as graduating from college or getting a job promotion), but it doesn't mean Canada owes him anything. I think he should be happy that AC was nice enough to give him a free flight to and from Korea instead of making him pay his own way to pursue his goals (like the rest of us).
He will actually get paid $20K as a bonus for winning the gold.

As for his ticket, no, AC didn't give it to him, the COC or, more likely, his sporting federation paid for it, although I believe there's a reduced rate of some sort. But it's not free.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

As for his ticket, no, AC didn't give it to him, the COC or, more likely, his sporting federation paid for it, although I believe there's a reduced rate of some sort. But it's not free.
So, if he could part with some of that $20K, maybe he could have bought an upgrade
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold

Fair enough, some organization paid for it, but he still got a free ride.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Low Roller
Fair enough, some organization paid for it, but he still got a free ride.
By that definition, 98% of AC SEs are getting a free ride because "some organization" pays for their tickets.
Beltway2A likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.