Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
The gist of this thread is that if you board while waiting for an upgrade, and someone no-shows for J, there is a decent chance the agent will not come on to upgrade you. There are no guarantees either way though.
Print Wikipost

YBYL (You Board You Lose) on AC?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2023, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I just think you should assume you're sitting in the seat you scanned at boarding.

"I am on the upgrade list. Has J boarded full yet?" is a very reasonable question to ask, and the number of remaining passengers to board, per cabin, is fairly prominently displayed on the agent's screen.
expert7700, arf04, ffsim and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 2:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE, MB Gold, ALL Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ac/elite
On a recent YVR-YYZ flight I was #2 on the list but the gate agent told me J was full and so was PY. I boarded my Y seat. A few minutes before departure they came and got me and upgraded me to PY. #1 on the list apparently got the seat of a J no-show and they gave me his PY seat.
I have had this happen to me twice; once on YYZ-FRA (Sept 2019) and once YYZ-MUC (April 2022). In both cases I was high on upgrade priority list (#1 or #2) but didn't clear before I boarded and made myself "comfortable" in my assigned Y seat. Both times noticed the GA and SD discussing something while pointing at printouts. Short time later SD approached me to move up to a no-show passenger's J seat
Seat13F_AC_CRJ likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 1:48 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Several times I've had SDs move me to J once the door is closed, both in the ground and in the air, when there were empty seats that I should have been upgraded into and was not - probably because of YBYL. But that is obviously not policy.

One time I did't get a seat in J that I should have, again probably because of YBYL, and the SD refused to move me so I contacted AC on social media and they proactively bumped me into J for my next trip free of charge. I'm guessing this was goodwill not policy.

YBYL obviously sucks from the perspective of the passenger. At the same time the gate agents are usually understaffed and have enough problems getting the flight boarded and closed and dealing with bags that don't fit in the overhead etc. even remotely close to on time. So I understand why they're not always running back down the jet bridge with J boarding passes for Y pax to fill J seats left empty from other misconnecting pax.

If AC wants to fix this situation they'd have to put some effort into doing so, not just relying on GAs being proactive or SDs being nice.
I've not had this happen in 10 years ..... I'v not booked a flight without having a confirmed J cabin seat prior to arriving at airport.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 2:24 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by RZR
I've not had this happen in 10 years ..... I'v not booked a flight without having a confirmed J cabin seat prior to arriving at airport.
I do not have so much flexibility that I can shift bookings to align with upgrade availability.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 5:25 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
I do not have so much flexibility that I can shift bookings to align with upgrade availability.
I don;t fly much compared to other I believe , but , I probably put in much more time in order to enable this. Very Sad... for me
Old Mar 25, 2023, 12:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
I paid more attention for my YYC–YVR flight today, and won at YBYL!

Business class showed as 14/14 booked at check-in and I was second on the upgrade list when boarding started. It suddenly dropped to 11/14 while I was in line for zone 2 boarding, so I stepped out and asked the agent at the counter. In the end, I got an upgrade along with one other passenger and an AC crew member in uniform. The others (including whoever was first on the list) on the upgrade list dropped off as they presumably boarded.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 6:12 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Pleasantly surprised today on YYZ-LAS. I was second on the upg list and the flight checked in full. I boarded in Zone 1, was seated for about 15 mins and the plane was halhway thru boarding when I got a text that my upgrade cleared. Asked the FA to check with the GA and after boarding was almost complete, got a new BP and moved up to J. I guess there were misconnects. No idea if No 1 on the list also got upgraded.
So despite me boarding, I guess the list was still active ?
Bohemian1 and YYC3722 like this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vernonc
Pleasantly surprised today on YYZ-LAS. I was second on the upg list and the flight checked in full. I boarded in Zone 1, was seated for about 15 mins and the plane was halhway thru boarding when I got a text that my upgrade cleared. Asked the FA to check with the GA and after boarding was almost complete, got a new BP and moved up to J. I guess there were misconnects. No idea if No 1 on the list also got upgraded.
They can still do it, but it's much more work. For a lazy/busy GA, I think the most likely scenarios if you're #1 on the list, board, and someone no-shows, are:
1. Seat goes empty (I've seen them hit errors trying to upgrade #2 (#1 on the onload recommendation list, but #2 on the "true" list)
2. #2 gets it (if they can get around the issue in 1.)
3. #1 gets it
Old Apr 12, 2023, 10:44 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by vernonc
I had a similar experience on YYZ-MCO in December. My wife and I were 2 & 3 on the list when we boarded. J was checked in full. Half way through boarding we both received a text for the upgrade. A couple traveling together took my Y seats.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 8:26 pm

I was sitting near the gate for AC 222 tonight waiting for a different flight and the GA made an announcement prior to boarding that of anyone was on the upgrade list they would be taken off the list if they boarded rather than wait. I had not ever heard an actual announcement to that effect. It’s probably been reported before on this thread, but I don’t have time to go through the many posts to check…
robertoYYJ likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 9:47 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by arf04
I was sitting near the gate for AC 222 tonight waiting for a different flight and the GA made an announcement prior to boarding that of anyone was on the upgrade list they would be taken off the list if they boarded rather than wait. I had not ever heard an actual announcement to that effect. It’s probably been reported before on this thread, but I don’t have time to go through the many posts to check…
Yeah, me (and others) have heard this announced before. Not consistently, but with growing frequency based on my sample size only.
arf04 and robertoYYJ like this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 2:24 pm

1 for 2 today. My 777 flight was cancelled so instead I now have two segments on 321, both 100% booked. Not wanting to check my roll aboard, I boarded earlyish. The near the end of boarding on the first flight, at T-10min, I got a notification that my upgrade cleared and a FA came to get me. The second flight closed doors with an open seat in J but no such luck two flights in a row. At least it’s just YYZ-YUL, and I have an extra legroom ext seat.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 6:04 am

YBYL is also also useful when you wanna board last so that, as you board, you can scope for rows in economy that have an empty adjacent seats just sit there to have more apace around you, even if it's not your assigned seat.

Since you're boarding last, it's very unlikely that seat or its adjacent seats will be claimed.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 9:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
YBYL is also also useful when you wanna board last so that, as you board, you can scope for rows in economy that have an empty adjacent seats just sit there to have more apace around you, even if it's not your assigned seat.

Since you're boarding last, it's very unlikely that seat or its adjacent seats will be claimed.
Then the gate agent waited another 15 minutes and cleared 10 standby passengers into the flight.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Changeup2000
Then the gate agent waited another 15 minutes and cleared 10 standby passengers into the flight.
ok. Then it doesn't work well with Air Canada. Works great with Flair and other airlines though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.