Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
The gist of this thread is that if you board while waiting for an upgrade, and someone no-shows for J, there is a decent chance the agent will not come on to upgrade you. There are no guarantees either way though.
Print Wikipost

YBYL (You Board You Lose) on AC?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RangerNS
It is newish, and probably does reduce a lot of shenanigans.

YBYL is, I think, more about OpUps.
No, it's entirely about people waitlisted for upgrades.

The DL thread that inspired this: YBYL (you board, you lose) policy is now more flexible
Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:12 am

Whomever the passenger was talking to, the conversation was going on before the passenger boarded and continued after he left.Though the pax was originally seated in PY, he boarded closer to zone 3 or 4. That would have left lots of time for him to be paged before boarding.I was left with the impression the person at the other end was looking at EF and saw J1 pop up at the last minute.Wouldn't a good concierge have boarded the plane with the passengers new boarding pass!?
Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
I am slightly concerned about my YYZ MCO flight, booked in X but paid for I, should I go to gate directly and wait there until last minute to ensure I will get upgraded properly or just let the GA do his thing?

On the other hand, I have seen plenty of times GA(or FA) coming in to PY or Y to present ppl with boarding passes so maybe the system does work(sometimes)
I get this done in the MLL (where available). Just tell the agent your situation and they will put you on the waitlist, and you will most likely be number one.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I get this done in the MLL (where available). Just tell the agent your situation and they will put you on the waitlist, and you will most likely be number one.
Your AC*SM makes you most likely number one, but that wouldn't apply to Jack.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Your AC*SM makes you most likely number one, but that wouldn't apply to Jack.
Esp consider there is only 3 seats left, doesn't look good for me

Well on the other hand its 2.5 hours so can't be that bad... Right?

I am wondering why AC just can't slot me into an empty J seat at the time of check-in instead of dump me into the gate roulette,esp since I did pay the full business reward miles for it.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)

I am wondering why AC just can't slot me into an empty J seat at the time of check-in instead of dump me into the gate roulette,esp since I did pay the full business reward miles for it.
Isn’t that a Rouge route? So it’s 2.5h (more like 3 in the aircraft) in Rouge Y. AC wants all the $$$ they can from LMUs and, to be honest, status may trump you here.

I suggest go book a preferred seat if you haven’t already. It’s probably only $30 for you.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

You got exactly what you paid for. Website advertised X for $Y, you paid $Y, and you got X. And in this case, X is... X.

I was at Target recently. 2L of Coke Zero was $1.25. 600mL of Coke Zero was also $1.25. Except they were out of the 2L bottles. So I bought a 600mL bottle. I'm not entitled to the bigger one just because I paid what it would cost, had it been in stock.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by jc94

Isn’t that a Rouge route? So it’s 2.5h (more like 3 in the aircraft) in Rouge Y. AC wants all the $$$ they can from LMUs and, to be honest, status may trump you here.

I suggest go book a preferred seat if you haven’t already. It’s probably only $30 for you.
Does that get refunded if I get the upgrade at the gate?
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:17 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Does that get refunded if I get the upgrade at the gate?
I suspect only if you write it. eUps will auto refund it, for this... I doubt it would be automatic.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Just got burned by YBYL minutes ago on AC7560 (E75 YUL-YHZ). It’s a very short flight so it’s not a big deal but it’s the principle that’s the problem. I’m one of the only ones to board with zone 2 so I’m one of the only elites on the flight. Zone 1 only had the 2 pax confirmed in J. So I’m sitting here in 12A and just watched 2 very surprised pax walk up to J class with the FA. Frustrating but what can you do.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: AC E75K
#1 on the upgrade waitlist for AC90 with a fully checked-in J tonight so had a vested interest in the accuracy of the answer to this question.

Gate agent assured me I could board with Z1 and they would come get me if someone no shows.

Flight attendant then advises me of the opposite: if they’re short on time (which is often the case), they won’t bother coming to get me.

So if you want to be safe, I’d advise waiting at the gate.
canadiancow and DNAwizard like this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
I am currently on 920. 2 J passengers did not board. The GA came on board and moved the 2 top passengers on the UG list. They boarded and won.
quantumofforce likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
At YVR the other night for AC126 the GA made an announcement that business class checked in full, and that anyone on the upgrade list should board with their zone, and he would come onto the aircraft to move people if J seats became available. I was number 1 on the list, but didn't get a chance to see if he would have lived up to his word as Business ended up boarding full with no upgrades.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Nothing here is absolute, but if one considers the spirit @canadiancow's OP in which he started this thread, I bet YBYL remains prevalent on AC.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Nothing here is absolute, but if one considers the spirit @canadiancow's OP in which he started this thread, I bet YBYL remains prevalent on AC.
I wanted to hear various experiences, and we have. Sometimes they come on, but sometimes they don't.

There was someone who mentioned in another thread that they or a their friend was in Y, waitlisted, and J left with empty seats due to no shows.

Coming on the plane takes a LOT more work than upgrading you at the gate.

If you don't absolutely need bin space right near your seat, I wouldn't board until the end if you're waitlisted.
eracerblue likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.