Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Any luck with SE line 'paying it forward' with eUps?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite

Hi all -

Wondering if anyone has had any luck with this:

- I'm flying YYZ-CPH on Sunday, which will put me over 100k and earn 20 eUps.
- I currently have 13 credits, and booked in N, which needs 21.
- eUp space available, but the upfare to O is cost prohibitive

Wondering if anyone has been successful in explaining the above scenario to the SE line (or similar) and getting them to lend you 8 credits, which will be earned on that very flight and only crediting your account with 12 afterwards.

Thoughts on if something like this is possible, or other potential tips?

PE isn't the worst, but J would would be nice for this flight.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by AskTravis
Hi all -

Wondering if anyone has had any luck with this:

- I'm flying YYZ-CPH on Sunday, which will put me over 100k and earn 20 eUps.
- I currently have 13 credits, and booked in N, which needs 21.
- eUp space available, but the upfare to O is cost prohibitive

Wondering if anyone has been successful in explaining the above scenario to the SE line (or similar) and getting them to lend you 8 credits, which will be earned on that very flight and only crediting your account with 12 afterwards.

Thoughts on if something like this is possible, or other potential tips?

PE isn't the worst, but J would would be nice for this flight.

Some people have been successful at having 1 eCredit given in advance. Look at this thread. Worth a try. Keep us updated.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:25 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
There are a few threads on this subject, including this one: Slightly Annoyed: 1 Credit Short

A number of people have reported getting lent an eUp when being 1 short. 8 might be pushing it, but the principle is exactly the same, so it's probably worth a shot.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
I've never tried it, but my guess is that you'd have more success by asking the concierge's to help with this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'd loan you 8 if I could.

Transferring eUps would be interesting. I suppose they'd have to limit it to someone of "equal or lesser" status, otherwise you could transfer your eUps to an SE to avoid co-pays.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: AC 1MM/SE 100K, MR Lifetime Premiere Plat, Hyatt Globalist
You used to be able to when Ben's were around here. Nowadays, with 8 credits, likely not going to happen. I'm going to end up with 70 credits over, I'd be happy to give you mine if I could
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Just to round this out:

- Called the concierge line at T-2 and talked to an agent who said there was no way of them doing this for me. I think because I picked 'not for travel today' I got routed into the main SE queue or similar? Didn't have a concierge feel to the call.

- Figured I would try again day of, talked to the concierge who said they DO have a way of doing this, but not on the same day, as they have to put in a special request and it takes longer than that. Go figure.

So, I enjoyed my PE last night instead, although I would caution row 12 if you are tall at all, I had no way to stretch out, where as I think 13-14 could slide their feet under my seat for more space.

Now to try for the way home....

Thanks for the offers of credits, agree it would be great for them to add a SE-swap program somehow

T.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: Back of the bus
The did have an SE swap program. It was called E Upgrade Nominee's. You used to be allowed multiple people to nominate and you could upgrade them with your credits. It's obvious why they reduced that.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AskTravis
Just to round this out:

- Called the concierge line at T-2 and talked to an agent who said there was no way of them doing this for me. I think because I picked 'not for travel today' I got routed into the main SE queue or similar? Didn't have a concierge feel to the call.

- Figured I would try again day of, talked to the concierge who said they DO have a way of doing this, but not on the same day, as they have to put in a special request and it takes longer than that. Go figure.

So, I enjoyed my PE last night instead, although I would caution row 12 if you are tall at all, I had no way to stretch out, where as I think 13-14 could slide their feet under my seat for more space.

Now to try for the way home....

Thanks for the offers of credits, agree it would be great for them to add a SE-swap program somehow

T.
I called a while back, and selected "traveling today" (because otherwise you don't get a concierge) to ask the specific question "Can you check if I'm booked on a flight on Nov 22?"

I also explained that res was useless.

She said to always call them, because they can often see and do things that reservations cannot.

I wouldn't ALWAYS call them, but for something like this, I'd actually be more tempted to send an email. It gives them time to look into it and figure it out, without taking them away from urgent day-of issues with other SEs.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 5:30 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
When I need concierge, which is never really, I always send e-mail. find it works well and allows them time to look at what I want
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Another vote for (and report of success with) sending email to the concierge.

Email gives me plenty of time and space to document all the details, and be clear about the background and my explicit request for help.

Oh, and they love travel pics (they tell me)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.