Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slightly Annoyed: 1 Credit Short

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by capedreamer
This is why I love FT. Thanks to @Seat13F_AC_CRJ and @jc94, I'm now on the upgrade waitlist for this flight!
Happy to help! Hope your upgrade clears.
--
13F
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Called Concierge. Explained that I'm short a credit which I'll earn with the very flight I'm hoping to upgrade. Asked if they could let me "borrow" from the future. Concierge agent (very friendly and professional) said she'll email someone to inquire whether this can be done. Told me it might take a couple business days to hear back. 15 minutes later, I received both text and email notifications informing me that I've been waitlisted.

Sometimes, just when I'm ready to throw in the towel, AC impresses with something like this. Sigh...
^ glad this worked out for you.

Yes, this is AC... they knew you were about to throw in the towel so did this for you to keep you for another 10 years of pain

And yes, FT is actually useful, about 10% of the time
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by yyznomad
^ glad this worked out for you.

Yes, this is AC... they knew you were about to throw in the towel so did this for you to keep you for another 10 years of pain

And yes, FT is actually useful, about 10% of the time
Spot on with both assessments!
Old Sep 17, 2017, 11:00 am

While I'm happy it worked out for the OP, I'm pretty unhappy with AC's inconsistency - I was in the same situation a couple of years ago and I got shot down for the same request.

I was short of 1 eUpgrade credit for a Flex fare upgrade on a TATL flight so I asked AC if there was a way to borrow/purchase 1 credit, but AC denied the request immediately and told me there was nothing they could do.

Clearly there are things they can do.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by jc94
I wonder if selling eUps would ever make sense for AC. Obviously only available for altitude members, would help out people in this situation and provide AC with some extra funds.

Of course, used carefully eUps can be very valuable say $100 each (10 credits allowing a low flex to J upfare for a $500/$1500 flight) ... But on other routes 6 credits can be worth maybe $300.
Years ago they used to sell a booklet of certificates (language from that time).
Old Sep 17, 2017, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by agjil
While I'm happy it worked out for the OP, I'm pretty unhappy with AC's inconsistency - I was in the same situation a couple of years ago and I got shot down for the same request.

I was short of 1 eUpgrade credit for a Flex fare upgrade on a TATL flight so I asked AC if there was a way to borrow/purchase 1 credit, but AC denied the request immediately and told me there was nothing they could do.

I think the single most important thing I have ever learned from FT is "if you don't like what you hear, hang up and call again"!
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Totally agree with you. Inconsistency (both in terms of policy awareness and application as well as onboard service quality) is my biggest issue with AC.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

Was this before the introduction of AQD?

I've seen a lot more rule bending/breaking in the past year.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)

Ah, but were you a SE at the time and did you contact AC or the Concierege? My gut feeling is non SE or indeed anyone contacting AC directly would be SOL in these situations...
Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I think the single most important thing I have ever learned from FT is "if you don't like what you hear, hang up and call again"!
Yeah HUCA is part of my life but I didn't think of applying HUCA in this case.

Totally agree with you. Inconsistency (both in terms of policy awareness and application as well as onboard service quality) is my biggest issue with AC.
Yep, the consistent inconsistency is my #1 annoyance with AC as well.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Was this before the introduction of AQD?
I've seen a lot more rule bending/breaking in the past year.
I believe this was the last year without AQD: AC introduced AQD the next year.
I didn't run into a situation where I had to ask AC for any kind of exception/bending rules this year, so I can't comment on how AC is handling these kind of situations these days.

Originally Posted by jc94
Ah, but were you a SE at the time and did you contact AC or the Concierege? My gut feeling is non SE or indeed anyone contacting AC directly would be SOL in these situations...
Yes, I was SE, but when I think about it, I didn't contact the Concierge for this but rather contacted the regular customer support line.
Maybe that was the big mistake...
Nevertheless, very annoying that different employees give you totally different outcome.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
So, if I am reading this properly, if A.C. sees an opportunity to improve and they jump on that opportunity, that is a bad thing because they are demonstrating inconsistency. Did I get that right?
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
So, if I am reading this properly, if A.C. sees an opportunity to improve and they jump on that opportunity, that is a bad thing because they are demonstrating inconsistency. Did I get that right?
Inconsistency would be if someone gets denied now.

It appears that agjil was denied before any relaxation of the rules came into play?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Not sure if you're internationally trying to spark an argument, but that's not at all what I was saying.

Of course true benefit enhancements are welcome, but then they should be uniformly disseminated and applied.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure if you're internationally trying to spark an argument, but that's not at all what I was saying.

Of course true benefit enhancements are welcome, but then they should be uniformly disseminated and applied.
I think it was more towards agjil, who was referring to an experience two years ago.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite

I am not trying to start anything at all. I am merely commenting on what I read and it is a clear example that a company, which touches as many people as AC, cannot make a decision that pleases everyone. You had a problem. You brought it up on FT. Someone on FT suggests a solution to your problem. You go, "d'oh, why didn't I think of that?". You follow the advise, and it works. Then you come back on FT and tell everyone that it works, AC did a good job, and you are happy. This is a perfect example of how FT should work.

Then someone else comes on and says they are happy for you, but this is an example of how inconsistent AC is and s/he takes exception to it. In reality, it started by someone else stating that this is something that worked for them. We have 2 examples of someone trying it in the near past, and it worked both times.

I am not picking on anyone, I am merely using this example to make the point mentioned above. The beauty is, all of the facts precede my post, so it's hard to question how I came up with my opinion.

I am sorry if you believed it was directed at you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.