Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What I’ve noticed on my first AC trip in 6 months

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What I’ve noticed on my first AC trip in 6 months

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:13 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Peever is considered a youngster?
Yup.

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
lol in all fairness, the youngest players I usually see are around 30, 35-45 is the peak age, met a few in their 60s the other day.
Oh. So the kids have moved on and now their parents and grandparents play it?
Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Oh. So the kids have moved on and now their parents and grandparents play it?
Correct lol.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: TK *G
But still, what's a Pokeman GO station? Something related to GO Transit

​​​​​​​i guess my real question is, did AC set it up in MLL as an amenity of some sort?
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Update on the negative side:

I don’t think AC knows what a gate charge is.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by songsc
But still, what's a Pokeman GO station? Something related to GO Transit

​​​​​​​i guess my real question is, did AC set it up in MLL as an amenity of some sort?
lol sorry, didn't realize it was a serious question from people, thought I was being mocked :P.

It's a place (a stop), located in the real world, that you have to visit within about a 15m radius, which you can then in-game collect items that can be used in the game.

And in this case it's an amenity of the airport but many companies (like Starbucks, McDonalds, Sprint, etc etc) do sponsor locations so they show up at their place.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:29 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Correct lol.
I guess it's probably about time for an old man like me to start playing it then...
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: TK *G
lol sorry, didn't realize it was a serious question from people, thought I was being mocked :P.

It's a place (a stop), located in the real world, that you have to visit within about a 15m radius, which you can then in-game collect items that can be used in the game.

And in this case it's an amenity of the airport but many companies (like Starbucks, McDonalds, Sprint, etc etc) do sponsor locations so they show up at their place.
Thanks for answering. There are some noobs like me who are too lazy to Google.

I am imagining some people with no MLL access asking lounge dragon to let them in so that they can visit the stop. Imagine all the fun and frustration Or perhaps AC can lure some march break and summer break crowds to visit the MLL.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: AC*E
I am going to see Grandma!

1) The Vancouver community is HUGE, I believe it's the demographics. I've managed 8,700km walked/run since the game started...

You sure about that number ? That's more than a fifth of the circumference of the earth.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abrandnewcar
You sure about that number ? That's more than a fifth of the circumference of the earth.
lol yes, the distance is tracked in the game (which isn't perfect, so I've actually probably walked 10% more but I would not be 100% certain of that number).

Last week alone because of an event I did 460km in 11 days.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS

3) There is now a Pokemon Go stop at the MLL in YVR DOM

6) Still can’t book flight pass bookings in the iOS app.

7) That cool red stripe on the BP’s isn’t there anymore (got mine at the machine at the front by the priority check-in desk)
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Welcome back!

1) I didn't know people still played Pokemon Go!

I have a red stripe on BP at LAX right in front of me. Got a red stripe ex-YYZ on the outbound. I think the above hypothesis is correct, that the agents give red stripes.

I have the beta FP app and it looks promising BUT it would not show me if I could upgrade on redeeming my credit or would be waitlisted. On the website, if I am redeeming within the window, I can choose my flight based on which of the flights has immediate upgradeability.

There is no Pokéstop at the LAX MLL, regrettably. I am another non-juvenile that finds it amusing to play. (I was inordinately pleased to catch a Mr. Mime at FRA, and disappointed not to find any Farfetch'd anywhere in my June trip to Asia.)
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Dusit
Pokemon Go says a lot; so very much.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Pokemon Go says a lot; so very much.
Although I'm not very familiar with Pokémon Go, I understand the general premise. I must be missing something here...
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: AC*E
lol yes, the distance is tracked in the game (which isn't perfect, so I've actually probably walked 10% more but I would not be 100% certain of that number).

Last week alone because of an event I did 460km in 11 days.
Sorry to derail the thread but I'm genuinely curious.

I have a fair amount of experience in long distance walking and through hiking, having done some ultra long distance hikes, ( 800 kms over 30 days and 600 kms over 25 days ) and I find the distances you're quoting really astonishing. I was exhausted every day, consumed huge amounts of calories and suffered from blisters and other foot pains averaging 20-25 kms a day.

Was this a Pokemon Go event where you walked the equivalent distance of a marathon every day for 11 days straight ? 41 kms or 26 miles a day ? 25 kms is a long walk. 40kms is refugee in flight distance. 40kms for 11 days straight is incredible.

At a brisk pace a fit person would walk 26 miles in 8-9 hours. How many hours a day were you walking during this event ?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At a brisk pace a fit person would walk 26 miles in 8-9 hours. How many hours a day were you walking during this event ?
I would think at a brisk pace that distance would take about 6 hours, plus rest stops. Stopping for two hours for lunch?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Sorry to derail the thread but I'm genuinely curious.

I have a fair amount of experience in long distance walking and through hiking, having done some ultra long distance hikes, ( 800 kms over 30 days and 600 kms over 25 days ) and I find the distances you're quoting really astonishing. I was exhausted every day, consumed huge amounts of calories and suffered from blisters and other foot pains averaging 20-25 kms a day.

Was this a Pokemon Go event where you walked the equivalent distance of a marathon every day for 11 days straight ? 41 kms or 26 miles a day ? 25 kms is a long walk. 40kms is refugee in flight distance. 40kms for 11 days straight is incredible.

lol, I don't mind but I hope others don't as well!

It was a Pokemon Go special event that I was taking advantage of, not the first time I have either. It was 11 days straight, and you're correct it's slightly more than a marathon each day. Blisters, chaffing etc are all part of it, but I have found ways to minimize it.

And while I do consider myself a fit person, it's not possible to do it in 8-9 hours a day because of how the game works, there are times you need to stop, etc. So it was closer to 14-19 hour days for 11 days straight.

By the end of it, I was with some people (people would join me for portions each day) and they were both laughing and worried for me because I couldn't make it up the last staircase going to the olympic torch at vancouver waterfront, I had to take the elevator up on the last day. So yes, I was more than a little tired.

But, if you want specifics I am more than happy to answer! Some days were actually as much as 58km, some days were as little at 33km.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.