FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What I’ve noticed on my first AC trip in 6 months
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:06 pm
Sean Peever

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by abrandnewcar
Sorry to derail the thread but I'm genuinely curious.

I have a fair amount of experience in long distance walking and through hiking, having done some ultra long distance hikes, ( 800 kms over 30 days and 600 kms over 25 days ) and I find the distances you're quoting really astonishing. I was exhausted every day, consumed huge amounts of calories and suffered from blisters and other foot pains averaging 20-25 kms a day.

Was this a Pokemon Go event where you walked the equivalent distance of a marathon every day for 11 days straight ? 41 kms or 26 miles a day ? 25 kms is a long walk. 40kms is refugee in flight distance. 40kms for 11 days straight is incredible.

At a brisk pace a fit person would walk 26 miles in 8-9 hours. How many hours a day were you walking during this event ?
lol, I don't mind but I hope others don't as well!

It was a Pokemon Go special event that I was taking advantage of, not the first time I have either. It was 11 days straight, and you're correct it's slightly more than a marathon each day. Blisters, chaffing etc are all part of it, but I have found ways to minimize it.

And while I do consider myself a fit person, it's not possible to do it in 8-9 hours a day because of how the game works, there are times you need to stop, etc. So it was closer to 14-19 hour days for 11 days straight.

By the end of it, I was with some people (people would join me for portions each day) and they were both laughing and worried for me because I couldn't make it up the last staircase going to the olympic torch at vancouver waterfront, I had to take the elevator up on the last day. So yes, I was more than a little tired.

But, if you want specifics I am more than happy to answer! Some days were actually as much as 58km, some days were as little at 33km.