FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1870491-air-canada-moving-amadeus-communication-issues-ap-ac-post-migration-result.html)

YYT82 Nov 23, 2019 10:48 am

Originally Posted by skybluesea (Post 31768962)
If I understand correctly, you are saying perfectly OK for Air Canada to make promises about service levels and then fail to manage those service levels for internal reasons???

I can think of another solution, stop booking flights weeks/months before so that the load on the transition would be much declined...so in the end, AC decided to maintain its full receipt of revenues, while transferring this delay time cost to customers.

yup...IMHO, pretty much sums it up...

AC managed the transition poorly. What they could have done was keeping both systems live for up to a year, with transition date like November 18th being the date after which all new bookings are made with Amadeus.

After my current trip, I have no other trips planned with AC for a year. If I need to travel in the next few months, I will look elsewhere first until this mess is sorted out.

RatherBeInYOW Nov 23, 2019 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 31769034)
But then, since I personally have not been affected in a significant way, I cannot really speak to that issue

If you haven't then I'd refrain on commenting on how well it has gone, relative to the very low AC IT bar.

Personally I had issues with OLCI that the SE check-in agent dealt with quickly and with no lineup, and then when I misconnected in YYZ the concierge called me and met me in the Cafe with a new BP on the next flight. I haven't had to wait in long lineups, I haven't had to spend forever on hold ... but I know I'm lucky and that doesn't mean that many others haven't had to endure much much worse over the last few days.

Mercifully I've got two weeks at home, hopefully AC cleans up the mess in the meantime. I feel for those stuck on the phone for hours, or worse.

FifthBiz Nov 23, 2019 11:29 am

Originally Posted by YYT82 (Post 31769055)
AC managed the transition poorly. What they could have done was keeping both systems live for up to a year, with transition date like November 18th being the date after which all new bookings are made with Amadeus.

After my current trip, I have no other trips planned with AC for a year. If I need to travel in the next few months, I will look elsewhere first until this mess is sorted out.

You can’t run both systems in parallel? How would that work?! The old system Res III was from the stone ages. It couldn’t interface continuously with Amadeus.

The migration was ducked up and the service is below the normal standard now. We get it. Air Canada knows and is trying to fix it.

skybluesea Nov 23, 2019 12:25 pm

delete

nomadic.relief Nov 23, 2019 12:33 pm

Wanted to check if an upcoming flight was upgradeable, how many credits it would take, plus add on cost - was informed it was not eligible and showed my name with "Companion" underneath. Ummm, is this some new quirk??

Flight is YVR-US, AE award in PE, would have considered eup to J if no copay, as they'd likely just expire otherwise.

Please excuse my ignorance, but is PE->J simply not an eup option transboarder? Or is the "companion" bit a flag something larger has gone awry?

***As I was typing this, got an email to bid for the upgrade. No thanks. Noticed the bidding window is T-56, seems like an odd time frame.

D582 Nov 23, 2019 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by YYT82 (Post 31769055)
AC managed the transition poorly. What they could have done was keeping both systems live for up to a year, with transition date like November 18th being the date after which all new bookings are made with Amadeus..

This simply would not be possible for this type of transition. DCS needs to talk to the reservation system. They can make legacy DCS talk to Amadeus (which they have done, and is also a source of some of the current airport issues, but still better than switching to Amadeus DCS on day one). They could potentially make Amadeus DCS talk to RESIII (although I don't know why they would want to). But they can't make one DCS realistically talk to two reservation systems at the same time for passengers on the same flight. If you think things are messy now, running parallel systems would make it much, much worse.

LadyZ Nov 23, 2019 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 31769327)
Wanted to check if an upcoming flight was upgradeable, how many credits it would take, plus add on cost - was informed it was not eligible and showed my name with "Companion" underneath. Ummm, is this some new quirk??

Flight is YVR-US, AE award in PE, would have considered eup to J if no copay, as they'd likely just expire otherwise.

Please excuse my ignorance, but is PE->J simply not an eup option transboarder? Or is the "companion" bit a flag something larger has gone awry?

It's likely the system glitching. I specifically booked upcoming travel that WAS upgradeable and prior to the system moved showed as that but now it's showing it's not eligible.

Naveen John Nov 23, 2019 1:06 pm

Apparently my account hasn't transitioned over to the new system

Aeroplan website wouldn't let me book a reward flight (it would end if flight redemption failure). Woke up at 4am to talk to the representative. After an hour of wait, i was able to get a hold of someone who said that they couldn't do anything till my profile transitions to the new system which they said would be within 72 hours. Anyone else got a similar response from the customer care?

Stranger Nov 23, 2019 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Naveen John (Post 31769403)
Aeroplan website wouldn't let me book a reward flight (it would end if flight redemption failure). Woke up at 4am to talk to the representative. After an hour of wait, i was able to get a hold of someone who said that they couldn't do anything till my profile transitions to the new system which they said would be within 72 hours. Anyone else got a similar response from the customer care?

That kind of smells like making something up to make you go away...

LadyZ Nov 23, 2019 1:44 pm

Self-deleted

canadiancow Nov 23, 2019 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 31769327)

***As I was typing this, got an email to bid for the upgrade. No thanks. Noticed the bidding window is T-56, seems like an odd time frame.

You cannot eUp Aeroplan PY bookings.

ericw Nov 23, 2019 3:12 pm

After trying for 4 days, I finally talked to an AP agent after 1hour hold and another 1.5 hr to ticket the following itinerary
YTZ-YUL-IST-ASB (AC/TK), ALA-IST-CAI-YYZ (TK/MS) with $89 in taxes/fees. I guess worth it in the end:)

According to the agent, it appears she still had access to both systems to check availability. She could only see what I see on AP.com using the new system and but she was able to confirm the X spaces manually on the old system.
Eventually, she had to ticket it with the support and manual tax calculation - not sure which system she used tho.

xanderz Nov 23, 2019 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by ericw (Post 31769741)
After trying for 4 days, I finally talked to an AP agent after 1hour hold and another 1.5 hr to ticket the following itinerary
YTZ-YUL-IST-ASB (AC/TK), ALA-IST-CAI-YYZ (TK/MS) with $89 in taxes/fees. I guess worth it in the end:)

According to the agent, it appears she still had access to both systems to check availability. She could only see what I see on AP.com using the new system and but she was able to confirm the X spaces manually on the old system.
Eventually, she had to ticket it with the support and manual tax calculation - not sure which system she used tho.

Wow thank you for the info! I guess there's still slight hope for us who would like to redeem their miles for mRTW trip

canadiancow Nov 23, 2019 3:21 pm

I just called to change an Aeroplan booking. There was a 2 hour wait for ticketing so she said she'd call me back.

LadyZ Nov 23, 2019 3:46 pm

In case it saves someone else some grief: previously when you weren't in your window for eupgrades, it would tell you that. Now it seems to say simply that eupgrades are not available for your itinerary. When you're in your window, you can upgrade like normal. (If I had known this, it would have saved me some frustration. I'm flying YUL to SFO and the seats aren't much better than Rouge so there's no way I wanted economy!)

A weird observation though - when I booked, the rate level said it would be 10 credits to upgrade but when I spoke to someone at AC yesterday they said it was 8. So assuming I get my upgrade on return flight, I'll be saving 4 credits.

Can someone answer this for me --- on the eupgrades page at AC site, it mentions additional eupgrade credits based on status level. Am I reading this right in that everyone with status will automatically get these additional credits? (Sorry since I don't have 5 posts, I can't link to it)