FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1870491-air-canada-moving-amadeus-communication-issues-ap-ac-post-migration-result.html)

nomadic.relief Nov 24, 2019 10:46 pm

To interject a sliver of optimism for those who are reading the nothing but doom and gloom posts here, just wanted to give a data point that not all is broken.

I opted for that CX F flight, because, well pjs. And F vs PY. And not having 13 hours between end of work and flight, with 6 hours of driving to get from A to B. But that's not my point. Despite my concerns about cancelling an award from prior to the transition, it was seamless. My reservation was exactly where it was supposed to be, and when I went to cancel it online, I was able to do it in 30 seconds. Miles were instantly returned to account. $31.50 has been charged to my card (refund pending). No intervention required.

I am not for one second discounting that things have been going horribly wrong for a lot of people. Just saying that it does work sometimes too.

Bohemian1 Nov 24, 2019 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31773648)

Can I attend a training session please?

​​​​​

Sure, just not the ones that the AC staff are getting. Or not, as the case may be.

A long time ago, at a gig far, far away, part of the on boarding process included a couple of days ride along with Support. I learned a lot about how my product worked in the real world.

So, maybe you can sign up for a ride along at the AC Call Centre! And then educate all of your close personal friends on FT. Again.

skybluesea Nov 24, 2019 10:54 pm

delete

YYT82 Nov 25, 2019 3:33 am

Originally Posted by daniellam (Post 31772908)
To: YYT82

Which European gateway is your AC flight from?

Also, was your intra-European flight operated by LH, LX, OS, LO, SK etc?

Here is a possible explanation:

1. You were checking in for a flight operated by LH, LX, OS, LO, SK who also uses Amadeus Altea Customer Management ("Altea CM") as their Departure Control System (DCS).

2. You are connecting to an AC flight whose European station has migrated their DCS also to Amadeus Altea (note that most other AC stations are still using their old pre-migration DCS).

3. Because of this, your LH/LX/OS/LO/SK check-in record ("Customer Record" in Amadeus Altea terminology) along with your AC Customer Record is "merged" into one.

4. You got upgraded in Amadeus Reservations (AC's new reservation system) from Economy Class to "R" Business Class before check-in opened. As AC does not typically reissue/revalidate e-tickets to have the booking class match that of the upgraded cabin, when the PNL (Passenger Name List) is created in Altea CM DCS, this shows up as a e-ticket mismatch in the Customer Record where the upgraded segment does not have a e-ticket coupon associated with it.

5. When checking in with LH/LX/OS/LO/SK, the Swissport Agent sees the AC segment in Altea CM along with the LH/LX/OS/LK/SK segment being checked-in. However, a message comes up saying that the AC segment has no e-ticket coupon attached. When they pull up the AC e-ticket, they see the mismatch in booking class and refers the OP to the ticketing desk.

Note: Had the OP flown AC from a station that has not yet migrated their DCS to Altea CM, the LH/LX/OS/LO/SK, the agent would have seen the AC segment has a "downline" segment that is on another system (no need to care about e-ticket mismatch in this case) and would had simply initiated an EDIFACT Thru Check-In transaction that would "ask" AC's Old DCS to perform the check-in and send a "response" back with a sequence number so that an AC boarding pass can be generated by LH/LX/OS/LO/SK.

Possible Solution: AC needs to inhibit interline through check-in for passengers who have been upgraded on flights originating from stations arleady migrated to Altea CM.

Follow up to my story and in response to your extremely insightful post:

1) Yes, I was checking in for a flight operated by LH group airlines, even though it was also one of their outstations so they used Swissport agents, but they use Amadeus Altea.

5) Yes, I believe that's what happened now that you explained the process in such detail in points 2-5.

The AC station I depart from does not seem to have migrated their DCS to Amadeus yet, judging from the fact that I obtained my boarding passes without any issues or being told that I haven't paid for the upgrade. And in fact, the check-in process was handled by LH group airlines agents so it was easier to deal with than Swissport. The Concierge apologized for the hassle I experienced yesterday, and told me that the Swissport agents were likely seeing a mismatch as you explained and wanted me to pay for the upgrade. (Funny thing is they couldn't tell me how much money to pay for the upgrade anyhow.)

Your suggestion that AC inhibits interline through check-in for passengers who have been upgraded would work during the transition period, regardless whether the stations they depart from have been migrated to Altea.

Given what happened yesterday, I cannot imagine what it would be like if I hadn't flown enough to know what to do in such situations. I knew to push back and asked them to just issue me the boarding pass on the first *A flight first and deal with AC later. In addition, I was not checking any luggage. If I were checking any luggage through to my final destination, I would probably have been screwed since the Swissport agents would not have been willing to complete my check-in without me paying an amount that's even unknown to them. (Although my solution to that would have been to tell them to short check my bags to the next destination and deal with AC there.)

On an interesting note: my boarding pass for the upgraded segment has a remark CTCR/EUPG. It seems that AC wants to broadcast to the world that R classers are freeloaders. :D Has anyone who upgraded post-migration seen the same remark on their boarding passes?

RatherBeInYOW Nov 25, 2019 4:52 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS (Post 31773084)
Amadeus is a SaaS, IT load issues should be as easy as k8 doing it's thing, and AC is hardly their largest customer.

Um, that isn't remotely what K8s does for you.

I flew, I got home. Even with a checked bag. Line systems are working.

As long as nothing goes wrong. I'm sure glad I didn't have to wait in the 30 person deep line at the YYZ domestic transfer desk last week.

ridefar Nov 25, 2019 6:42 am

Originally Posted by skybluesea (Post 31773682)
English, Italian or French please 😄

K8 or Kubernetes is a “platform for automating deployment, scaling, and operations of application containers across clusters of hosts”. Think of a container as a much less complicated form of a virtual machine. That should be stateless. So...

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW (Post 31774174)

It actually might be. If AC’s problems are due to load, then a good deployment of K8 services should automatically scale up to meet that load. For some things. Meaning if it is the application front end (which we pax use) then yes. If it is the backend database (which I would bet my life savings does not run in a container or K8 — it is likely a mainframe) or the bandwidth to it or something then K8 won’t make any difference at all because that can’t “just” automatically scale or even be easily changed. Given that I do t have a clue what the overall architecture here is I can’t say much more than that.

stevento Nov 25, 2019 6:45 am

Aeroplan is impossible to get through on the phone

Need to get through to Aeroplan to finish a booking, have been trying for 3 days, can't even get on hold... just says call back later.
This is the worst support from any company I've ever experienced. I thought 1 hr hold times were bad... I'd gladly take it now!

I've searched for a diamond number but can't seem to find it. If anyone would be kind enough to PM it, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sean Peever Nov 25, 2019 7:11 am

I had some fun on 3 different bookings on Saturday: no one at AC was able to provide any insight.

1) Saturday morning I tried to check-in for my flight that night YYZ - YVR on 127. The old booking reference would not work (of course) but also the new booking reference kept saying "booking does not exist". I got on the phone with AC to make sure I still had a ticket - they couldn't find it and said to go to the airport. I went to the airport a bit early, the AC check-in agent said I had been web checked-in...... um what? how? ok whatever - at least I'm getting home.

2) Booked Saturday morning on an unlimited flight pass yvr - yxe, immediately tried to eupgrade, said it worked but it didn't. 1 hour later the booking would say it doesn't exist. on the same call as above I called in, they were able to find it, but also confirmed they couldn't pull it up online or anything. They did the upgrade and I did finally get an email. Still can't pull up the reference for the flight tomorrow.

3) exact same thing as #2 but with a yxe - yvr flight.

I'm not getting a great feeling of confidence that this transfer is going well.

YYT82 Nov 25, 2019 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Sean Peever (Post 31774437)
I had some fun on 3 different bookings on Saturday: no one at AC was able to provide any insight.

1) Saturday morning I tried to check-in for my flight that night YYZ - YVR on 127. The old booking reference would not work (of course) but also the new booking reference kept saying "booking does not exist". I got on the phone with AC to make sure I still had a ticket - they couldn't find it and said to go to the airport. I went to the airport a bit early, the AC check-in agent said I had been web checked-in...... um what? how? ok whatever - at least I'm getting home.

2) Booked Saturday morning on an unlimited flight pass yvr - yxe, immediately tried to eupgrade, said it worked but it didn't. 1 hour later the booking would say it doesn't exist. on the same call as above I called in, they were able to find it, but also confirmed they couldn't pull it up online or anything. They did the upgrade and I did finally get an email. Still can't pull up the reference for the flight tomorrow.

3) exact same thing as #2 but with a yxe - yvr flight.

I'm not getting a great feeling of confidence that this transfer is going well.

Nearly everyone I spoke to at AC have used words such as "gong show" to describe the migration to Amadeus.

Sean Peever Nov 25, 2019 7:25 am

Originally Posted by YYT82 (Post 31774463)
Nearly everyone I spoke to at AC have used words such as "gong show" to describe the migration to Amadeus.

Keep in mind, my #2 and #3 were booked in Amadeus straight from the start - so it's not technically an issue with migrating the booking. I'm talking just a few days ago booked.

ericw Nov 25, 2019 7:30 am

You cannot. Now it is done after you enter your own AP#.

It took me 4 days to get through. Keep trying.

stevento Nov 25, 2019 7:34 am

that's incredible. My call is time-sensitive but not an emergency. What would it happen if it was? A sudden flight change? Wow...

YYT82 Nov 25, 2019 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Sean Peever (Post 31774468)
Keep in mind, my #2 and #3 were booked in Amadeus straight from the start - so it's not technically an issue with migrating the booking. I'm talking just a few days ago booked.

Right, but they were all referring to the process of migrating to Amadeus, and how things aren't working properly afterwards, regardless whether your tickets were booked before or after the migration.

There were a few pissed off SEs on my current TATL flight due to the upgrade issue (thinking they could still request upgrades at check-in). While I sympathize with them to some degree, I am more amused that these SEs acted more like FOTSGs. :D

RangerNS Nov 25, 2019 7:46 am

Amadeus is a SaaS, IT load issues should be as easy as k8 doing it's thing, and AC is hardly their largest customer.

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW (Post 31774174)

Originally Posted by ridefar (Post 31774360)
It actually might be. If AC’s problems are due to load, then a good deployment of K8 services should automatically scale up to meet that load.

Indeed, k8 might be a magical solution to scale up iff [sic] a bunch of other architectural design choices allow it. I shouldn't say I know they use k8 in production, just that they do, and that could well be a 10 year redesign project.

Either way, if not k8 magic, or if partially true, see the second half of my statement. AC is not Amadeus` largest customer. Raw compute power could be fixed with It could be k8 scaling out, or even manually, but I'm sure they got pretty close out of the gate on how how many cups and how much memory to give.

I'd suspect networking - DC to DC to cloud region to cloud region - links needing tweaking. IME that is far more difficult to predict (if anyone thinks about it at all).

ridefar Nov 25, 2019 7:53 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS (Post 31774522)
Indeed, k8 might be a magical solution to scale up iff [sic] a bunch of other architectural design choices allow it. I shouldn't say I know they use k8 in production, just that they do, and that could well be a 10 year redesign project.

You get bonus points for the iff statement. :)