Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Will Swissport Strike Affect Air Canada Flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Swissport Strike Affect Air Canada Flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jc94
As I understand it, it's T3. So AC staff at T1 won't be going near the picket lines. They may be on the 192 rocket or UPX with picket people but the lines ... are at T3 - I assume. If they are anywhere near the airport?!?

But those transfers could affect AC. And remember it's the last carriers reaponaibilty to deliver luggage... I feel sorry for anyone who has to deal with AC for lost luggage. Or delayed.
Ok but the thread title is regarding impacts to flights.

I have yet to experience a delayed flight because we are waiting for luggage from a connecting flight.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Fair point. I guess the flights won't be affected but the overall experience could be.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by PhotoSmurf
Flying YYZ to YYC on AC 135 this Saturday, July 29.

Will a Swissport strike affect Air Canada flights departing YYZ?

Does Swissport even service Air Canada flights?

Hoping for best (no strike) but preparing for worst (flight insurance).

we will be fine

also on the same flight!
Old Jul 29, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by jc94
As I understand it, it's T3. So AC staff at T1 won't be going near the picket lines. They may be on the 192 rocket or UPX with picket people but the lines ... are at T3 - I assume. If they are anywhere near the airport?!?

But those transfers could affect AC. And remember it's the last carriers reaponaibilty to deliver luggage... I feel sorry for anyone who has to deal with AC for lost luggage. Or delayed.
This is not confined to T3. Lufthansa and Turkish, for example, use Swissport and operate from T1.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
To add to above, EVA is in the same terminal as Air Canada .

If you will tolerate a slight deviation to provide context of the implications of the labour dispute and how it may impact Air Canada (and other airlines);

The Swissport local on strike is a Teamsters unit. Despite all the negative history, the Teamsters are relatively moderate union and are recognized for their strong inter union solidarity, i.e. they will not cross other unit picket lines. AC is into its 3rd year of a 7 year collective agreement with its US employees. The teamsters represent 700+ AC agents and ramp workers. It is unlikely that there will be any cross border union solidarity action because the labour dispute is restricted to a solitary bargaining unit at one airport.

However, where caution will be needed is that a union dispute centered on one terminal does not mean that pickets will not appear at the other terminal, especially when there are serviced airlines at T1. The purpose of the picket line is to make the public aware that there is an ongoing dispute. All it takes is a handful of pickets on the access roads to Pearson, and the airport roads are shut down for 30 minutes to 2 hours. In Toronto, a traffic delay has serious ramifications.

Other airport unions at YYZ supported the AC unions when they were in bargaining mode. The AC workers will be expected to stick to their collective agreement and not do anything to undermine the Swissport local.

Prediction: This labour dispute is settled quickly.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
To add to above, EVA is in the same terminal as Air Canada .

If you will tolerate a slight deviation to provide context of the implications of the labour dispute and how it may impact Air Canada (and other airlines);

The Swissport local on strike is a Teamsters unit. Despite all the negative history, the Teamsters are relatively moderate union and are recognized for their strong inter union solidarity, i.e. they will not cross other unit picket lines. AC is into its 3rd year of a 7 year collective agreement with its US employees. The teamsters represent 700+ AC agents and ramp workers. It is unlikely that there will be any cross border union solidarity action because the labour dispute is restricted to a solitary bargaining unit at one airport.

However, where caution will be needed is that a union dispute centered on one terminal does not mean that pickets will not appear at the other terminal, especially when there are serviced airlines at T1. The purpose of the picket line is to make the public aware that there is an ongoing dispute. All it takes is a handful of pickets on the access roads to Pearson, and the airport roads are shut down for 30 minutes to 2 hours. In Toronto, a traffic delay has serious ramifications.

Other airport unions at YYZ supported the AC unions when they were in bargaining mode. The AC workers will be expected to stick to their collective agreement and not do anything to undermine the Swissport local.

Prediction: This labour dispute is settled quickly.
Do you under stand locals? I don't know about YYZ unions supporting AC last strike, but during that strike, AC other other unions didn't support there own.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Do you under stand locals? I don't know about YYZ unions supporting AC last strike, but during that strike, AC other other unions didn't support there own.
I don't know any thing about AC contract with its unions. However it is not uncommon for union contracts to have a clause that says employees will cross picket lines of other unions (including their own).

In the AC example, the unions support each other by not doing each others work even when crossing the picket line.

What I would expect, is if EVA or Lufthansa went to AC and said: "Can you help us out, we need someone to handle our bags?" the AC many or may not agree, but the union would like refuse to do the work of another union that is on strike.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Not sure if this is related but if not, then a pure coincidence... aside from the Swissport parking garage shenanigans, the interterminal rail link at YYZ was completely shut down both ways with "Out of Service" on the electronic boards and announcements to vacate both trains and to find our own way to the other terminal or to the Viscount parking garage... then security lines including priority were extra long - longer than past days and longer than what I've seen during Xmas/New Years/Labour Day/March Break... and then a GTAA announcements were made apologizing for the cluster or something to that effect (couldn't hear the entire announcement due to the ambient noise around me).

The AC staff and Concierges were just becoming aware of the issues but were unaware of the interterminal link shutdown. Not sure if it's back up now.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
The Inter-terminal Link was working fine at around 12:30 this afternoon.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
The Inter-terminal Link was working fine at around 12:30 this afternoon.
Correct because I used it at 2:30pm, but then after that is when it shut down.

(and darn if I had known you were here!)
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Correct because I used it at 2:30pm, but then after that is when it shut down.

(and darn if I had known you were here!)
Your PM is full.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
we will be fine

also on the same flight!
Happy to report our airport and flight experience was not affected.

Last minute switch from 767 to 787 was nice though.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Anyone know if striking workers at Pearson are blocking roads and causing delays today ? I know this was going on over the long weekend but checking about today
Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vernonc
Anyone know if striking workers at Pearson are blocking roads and causing delays today ? I know this was going on over the long weekend but checking about today
It looked ok to me today on my way in and out of YYZ grounds. I took the 427 in and out. I'm back at YYZ now.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Why one Toronto family travelled more than 130 km on the TTC in 9 hours

How dare they!

Imagine if they started a database to keep track of their transfers? How dare they create a database! How dare they!
That's such a cool little excursion. We tend to forget that little out-of-the-ordinary activities can often feel like huge adventures for young kids. Good on them.

I mean, um, how dare they?????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.