Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2017 skytrax places AC back at #1 in N.A.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 skytrax places AC back at #1 in N.A.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan AA
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Calling AC #1 in NA is like saying Das Hindenburg was a normal, on time blimp landing
Air Canada would call that one a 'hard landing'
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:01 pm
Original Member

http://www.cnn.com/travel/article/ai...ers/index.html
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:04 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by 24left
To clear things up, here is a quote for OMAAT:

(bolding mine)

How are Skytrax winners decided?

I disagree with a lot of the results, though I respect the methodology that Skytrax uses for determining the winners. The winners are based solely on public voting, with votes from nearly 20 million people from 105 countries being counted. The voting took place between August 2016 and May 2017.

Airlines were allowed to promote voting, so I suspect there’s a high correlation between the airlines that tried to “get out the vote,” and those that actually won.

To account for the different sizes of airlines, they also take a weighted approach to the results:......

At the end of the day this is a marketing opportunity for airlines, rather than an actual comparative analysis of which airline is the best in each category. People vote based on what they like, with no requirement to actually have experienced any number of products. Don’t get me wrong, that’s fine, ultimately this is a popularity contest, but I think it’s important to recognize it as such.

There’s a difference between someone saying “I liked Qatar Airways business class,” and saying I’ve flown a bunch of business class products and think Qatar Airways has the best.” So perhaps more accurately these awards should be for the title of “the world’s favorite” rather than “the world’s best.”

June 20, 2017

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...e-of-the-year/
Self-selecting surveys bolstered by subject marketing efforts is no methodology at all from a survey/statistical perspective.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by djkyyc
I'm sure there will be no controversy on FT though as there is a poll to reflect every range of love and hate. Feel free to agree with the one that reflects your opinion.

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2017...Paris-Air-Show
Ugh. Now longer announcements from the SDs again touting this!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
AC 127 YYZ-YVR departing 2105 has a full meal in J.

A similar length flight at that time on US airlines would have:

UA (p.s.): Hot snack
UA (other routes): Snack basket

AA: Can't find official info but looks similar to UA based on FT thread.

DL: Looks pretty good actually (I believe there's a full meal)

So there's an objective assessment where AC hands-down beats 2 of the 3 big legacies in the US.

You want to talk about service, wine quality, etc., fine. But don't say they're not "at or near the top in anything".
Pretty all legacy airlines have meals over 2hr flights, unless its less than 2hr, which is similar to what AC have. AC offers meals during red eye.

All 3 legacy airlines also offer amenity kit on their transcon, which I have yet to see on AC.

I'm actually not a fan of JetBlue. I've been on too many flights where they board you and then just sit on the tarmac so they can free up the gates.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GateGuardian
Pretty all legacy airlines have meals over 2hr flights, unless its less than 2hr, which is similar to what AC have. AC offers meals during red eye.
Most of the US legacies do not provide a meal on transcons if the flight departs after 2000-2100, regardless of length.

AC provides a meal on ALL flights over 2 hours, regardless of departure time.

On those shorter flights (2-2.5 hours), some of the legacies don't even provide a meal "mid afternoon", because it's not "meal time".

Originally Posted by GateGuardian
All 3 legacy airlines also offer amenity kit on their transcon, which I have yet to see on AC.
No, they provide an amenity kit on the p.s. (to use United's marketing) routes, which is not the same as "transcons".

Though yes, that is definitely a nice touch.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Most of the US legacies do not provide a meal on transcons if the flight departs after 2000-2100, regardless of length.

AC provides a meal on ALL flights over 2 hours, regardless of departure time.

On those shorter flights (2-2.5 hours), some of the legacies don't even provide a meal "mid afternoon", because it's not "meal time".

Though yes, that is definitely a nice touch.
While I don't profess to know everythingthat the competition is doing, I presume there are few (if any) that serve a breakfast on a 39 minute in-air flight such as YYZ-YOW. I have DL SkyMiles and don't recall ever receiving anything substantial on a YYZ-DTW run.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
While I don't profess to know everythingthat the competition is doing, I presume there are few (if any) that serve a breakfast on a 39 minute in-air flight such as YYZ-YOW. I have DL SkyMiles and don't recall ever receiving anything substantial on a YYZ-DTW run.
I could swear YOW YYZ was 51 minutes, is it (that much) shorter the other way around?

I do like the fact that AC serves a sandwich or salad on the YYZ/EWR routes, but was less happy when LGA/YYZ had a basket despite the kitkat. Is that standard or because it was late? We actually spent 2-3h in the air.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat

So there's an objective assessment where AC hands-down beats 2 of the 3 big legacies in the US.

You want to talk about service, wine quality, etc., fine. But don't say they're not "at or near the top in anything".

AA: has full meals in J. I fly Chi-LA and JFK-MCO on AA once in awhile and you get full meals. So now AC beats 1 of the legacies in the US, the mighty UA where you might get beat up on board, or asking for a reprint of your boarding pass. There are more than just legacy airlines in the US as well. DL, JB, AS, Virgin and Hawaiian (don't know the 2 digit abbreviation) are all MILES ahead of AC. I would still say AA is better than AC while we are at it.

So to your point..........I still say Air Canada is not at the top in anything, any category, lest of all service.

I would concede that Safety is one area where Air Canada excels. I have never once felt unsafe on an AC flight. That is a given though, I haven't felt unsafe on any US airliner with the exception of Spirit, who AC can easily trounce in any category.

11. AA
12. AC
12. UA (tie)
14. Frontier
15. Spirit
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by songsc
Who actually cares about these rankings? How many people will be like, look, WS is $50 cheaper, but AC is the best airlines in NA, so let's spend $50 more and book AC.
I would. #1 is the best! I FLY #1 ONLY. The same people who would wear a fake rolex over a top-end iWatch...

Originally Posted by DeweyCheathem
This is what is known as losing a race to the bottom by standing still
Rouge seems like it's racing hard no?

You forgot to mention to AC's credit, they have the snack basket too! Kitkats for all! (but no pickles onboard afaik)
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:24 am

Yet another example of Air Canada staff taking seats in J class instead of SE.

Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:07 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
. . . and a few more emails in the inbox--really this is about winning in a competent but not outstanding field--hardly something to get excited about (but I guess they will)--spelling mistakes included for accuracy:

"XXXX,

Thanks to you, we’ve been voted Skytrax Best Airline in North America for the sixth time in eight years. We wouldn’t be here without the support of our customers, so I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you personally.

We believe this win affirms we’re on the right path and validates changes we’re making to our business. Changes like fleet updates, expanded global routes, renovations to our Maple Leaf Lounges and improved food and beverage offerings, all to improve your experience with us.

We take pride in bringing Canada to the world every time we fly, and making Canadians proud matters to us. This award is only the latest milestone in our ongoing transformation, and we are planning to go even further.

We’ll be in touch soon to tell you about even more exiciting new features designed with your needs in mind. Until then, we look forward to welcoming you on board again soon! #FlyTheFlag

Benjamin Smith
President, Passenger Airlines
Air Canada"
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
I am just back from a multi-city trip in J (YWG-YYZ-LHR-YVR-SFO-YVR-YWG), and all sectors had great crews. Good catering on longhaul flights. I actually thought about writing in to let AC know. Those new J seats are so much better. Having used the UA lounge in SFO, I promise to complain less about the MLLs!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by JTXC
I am just back from a multi-city trip in J (YWG-YYZ-LHR-YVR-SFO-YVR-YWG), and all sectors had great crews. Good catering on longhaul flights. I actually thought about writing in to let AC know. Those new J seats are so much better. Having used the UA lounge in SFO, I promise to complain less about the MLLs!
Supposedly (from OMAAT a while ago) you can use Polaris lounges when flying international *A J. Beats United Club by a mile.

My last ~10 long-haul AC flights have all had great SDs. SD on a transcon in January went around shaking pax's hands to welcome them onboard (even non SEs!!). It's weird to say but my AC flights this year have been substantially better than my AC flights last year. Weird coincidence, new training, or odd cognitive bias.

Nonetheless, congrats AC. Be sure to remind me 20 times this year so I remember not to vote for you next year.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:26 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
. . . and a few more emails in the inbox--really this is about winning in a competent but not outstanding field--hardly something to get excited about (but I guess they will)--spelling mistakes included for accuracy:

"XXXX,

Thanks to you, we’ve been voted Skytrax Best Airline in North America for the sixth time in eight years. We wouldn’t be here without the support of our customers, so I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you personally..."
So if next year they lose 1st place, it's your fault?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.