Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2017 skytrax places AC back at #1 in N.A.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 skytrax places AC back at #1 in N.A.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by rankourabu
.....Its very suspicious that SkyTrax always has different results than every single other customer satisfaction poll put out there.....
Ya, me too, but I posted a quote above from OMAAT. For those here with time and patience and who are good with numbers, perhaps it is worth checking the actual methodology and statistical validity.

I choose to not care about SkyTrax. Just remember, it's about the marketing. Oh, and that nice little gold circle thingie.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by 24left
So perhaps more accurately these awards should be for the title of “the world’s favorite” rather than “the world’s best.”
I believe "The World's Favourite Airline" is/was a British Airways trademark.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jagboi
I believe "The World's Favourite Airline" is/was a British Airways trademark.
And they'd never be able to use that line now thanks to the mess created by Willie and Alex.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:35 am

At the end of the day this is a marketing opportunity for airlines, rather than an actual comparative analysis of which airline is the best in each category. People vote based on what they like, with no requirement to actually have experienced any number of products. Don’t get me wrong, that’s fine, ultimately this is a popularity contest, but I think it’s important to recognize it as such.

There’s a difference between someone saying “I liked Qatar Airways business class,” and saying I’ve flown a bunch of business class products and think Qatar Airways has the best.” So perhaps more accurately these awards should be for the title of “the world’s favorite” rather than “the world’s best.”
This pretty much sums it up. It's hardly a comparable across airlines but rather within the airline itself. It could also speak to culturally that Canadians may not complain nearly as much as Americans do.

To me the Skytrax rating really is just a marketing ploy and people can spin it however they want. One some ranking somewhere, AC is probably rated as a number 1 airline and you bet your ... marketing is going to be boasting about that. The same could be said about any airline.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by yannerd
It could also speak to culturally that Canadians may not complain nearly as much as Americans do.
or put another way.......Canadians don't complain as much as Americans do when paying for a service that is not as promised or falls well below expectations.

Originally Posted by Snow Goose
In any event I don't agree with your assessment (but to each their own). I fly a lot of different NA airlines and I would rank AC at or near the top in most categories. Service levels pale in comparison to international carriers, but that is a different story.

SG
USA also has multiple times the airlines that Canada does. Also if you fly a lot of NA airlines and rank AC at or near the top in anything I would disagree with you. AC is one step ahead of Spirit, equal with UA, losing ground to DL and miles behind AS or JB.

In fact AC shouldn't even be ranked as the best airline in Canada, let alone North America. Once Air Canada and Canadians stop comparing every single thing to the USA as their measuring stick, then they might be able to start catching up to the Asian and European airlines. This is tantamount to AC patting themselves on the back that they have been named the tallest midget.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by The smallest state
....Once Air Canada and Canadians stop comparing every single thing to the USA as their measuring stick, then they might be able to start catching up to the Asian and European airlines. ....
Perhaps.

Except it is possible that the vast majority of Canadian fliers only fly within north America and a much smaller number fly internationally* and on other carriers that offer completely different service and food etc than anyone in North America.

The USA is every Canadian's measuring stick as a result of geography, language and cultural influences.

* I use the word internationally mostly to mean Asian and ME3 carriers. Based on the current adventures with IAG and others, I am not convinced European carriers are all worth aspiring to.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-...line-1.4169313

Survey ranks Air Canada as top North American airline — is it true?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
The USA is every Canadian's measuring stick as a result of geography, language and cultural influences.
Agreed and I've never understood the flipside to it. Allow me to explain. When I spent two years in Winnipeg I noticed the following. (Bizarrely, while this happened in my 5 years in Vancouver, to a much smaller extent)

- Winnipeg Goldeyes baseball would play the Fargo Whatevers and it would be a US team coming to play. So we needed to go down and cheer for Canada. However the CFL team would play the Stampeders (or whomever) and it would be just another game. The quality of the CFL product was far superior to the baseball product.

- If a band came to town from Montreal it was seen as 'just a Canadian band'. If the band was from Marblehead Mass or Krum Texas it was an event.

- Rarely did people talk about Canadian shows, only US shows.

Apologies for the tangent/hijack. My point is if Air Canada ever wants to get serious about becoming a real global airline with a real service offering that has value, they need to forget competing with the US airlines. Think global and compete against the world. When you compare yourself against US airlines, that isn't exactly a high bar to clear.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Bottom line is that we all have our own opinion and experiences; it also depends greatly on the criteria an individual sets for judging an airline. Many may look for overall efficiency in economy class, where I start thinking about which airlines have the best first class cabins when I rate an airline. I like Virgin America-- while it lasts-- with the first class cabin with so much distance between rows your feet cannot reach the seat in front of you. It reminds me of the old days in a DC-10. I love the consistent high quality fish served in first class on Alaska, but their FC seats are fairly ordinary. I like DL in domestic first class/Delta One on planes with lie flat seat configuration and the 1-2-1 seating, where everyone sits on a row. Does AC offer a domestic first class cabin with equipment that provides a lie flat seat, extremely spacious rows such as Virgin America or a configuration where everyone in first class sits on a row?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-...line-1.4169313

Survey ranks Air Canada as top North American airline — is it true?
This result is just the latest example at how irrelevant the CBC is. Regardless of your view on the results, it's undeniable CBC (MSM) moves the needle for absolutely no one anymore.
A year of pumping anti-AC horror stories CBC, and look at the results. The CBC is as impactful as a raindrop in the ocean.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: TK *G
Who actually cares about these rankings? How many people will be like, look, WS is $50 cheaper, but AC is the best airlines in NA, so let's spend $50 more and book AC.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:39 pm
Suspended

This is what is known as losing a race to the bottom by standing still
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The smallest state
Also if you fly a lot of NA airlines and rank AC at or near the top in anything I would disagree with you.
AC 127 YYZ-YVR departing 2105 has a full meal in J.

A similar length flight at that time on US airlines would have:

UA (p.s.): Hot snack
UA (other routes): Snack basket

AA: Can't find official info but looks similar to UA based on FT thread.

DL: Looks pretty good actually (I believe there's a full meal)

So there's an objective assessment where AC hands-down beats 2 of the 3 big legacies in the US.

You want to talk about service, wine quality, etc., fine. But don't say they're not "at or near the top in anything".
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
If one wishes to accept No.1 status and to tout it, then one must also accept the fact that Air Canada has a Skytrax rating of 5 out of 10, and is savaged by its customers' reviews. Comments such as;

"never recommend Air Canada"
"was the worst flight"
"seats were hard and uncomfortable"
"awful staff in Rome"

are more frequent ,than the rare,
"had a great experience"

Air Canada does so well in North America because most of its competitors are utter crap; with the disgusting duo of American and United earning 3 out of 10, and Delta earning 5/10 just like Air Canada.

Air Canada did not even get a mention in the best regional carriers for North America. so again this adds to the context.

As an aside, I voted 30+ times. I was logging on from various locales in Asia when I traveled. I only voted on some items with EVA, ANA and Cathay receiving my votes.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Calling AC #1 in NA is like saying Das Hindenburg was a normal, on time blimp landing

This rating is about as real as them AAA rating on those subprime dumpsters

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Jun 20, 2017 at 8:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.