Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is AQD requirement helping or hurting AC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is AQD requirement helping or hurting AC?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
The answer is simple: cold, hard, 100% free and clear cash needing 0 avgas, 0 gate fees, 0 wear on airframes, 0 staff, etc.

This being contrary to "loyalty" and possibly (likely) a bad long term thing is a different question. But buddy looking at next quarters bottom line when making that decision got his steak knives.

(I say that as someone who flew on his own dime YHZ/YYZ/YHZ on Dec 31 to get AQS 95 and 96)
I hope you pre-drank in the MLL for your NYE party!
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
My NYE party was on AC872, which I almost missed, I had the whole mini J cabin on the 777 to myself plus one other PAX. Would have made a great do location! The BMW ride to the gate almost made it worth bumping up my AQD by flying in paid D.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:50 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by 24left
(bolding mine)

Well, I posted this a while back

Bloomberg: Airlines Make More Money Selling Miles Than Seats

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...les-than-seats
Which is precisely why AC sold off Aeroplan all those years ago... it was the only asset that was worth anything. The airline was worth nothing, while the FF program was worth enough to keep them alive.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
For me it isn't that AQD that is hurting AC, it is the high AQS and the system is stacked against short distance, high fare, domestic flyer. I have no problem reaching 20K in spend but getting to 95 segments is a too high given I fly only domestic and will never meet the 100,000 AQM requirement. I am guessing to get 95 segments, I will need to spend close to 30K. Why? My CPM is high, 0.40 CPM. There are SE who only flies long hauls whose CPM is around 0.15. To AC, 0.15 CPM is a better customer

Last year in 4 months of flying I reached $9000 AQD (good for E75K) but only 50 segments and they won't give me E75K. Guess what? I moved my next $11,000 of flying over to WestJet. AC with the current structure will not get more money from me beyond E50K. That is fine. I just split my business between the two since I get also get WJ Gold.

Last edited by Sunny Day; Jun 3, 2017 at 10:29 am
Old Jun 3, 2017, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
For me it isn't that AQD that is hurting AC, it is the high AQS and the system is stacked against short distance, high fare, domestic flyer. I have no problem reaching 20K in spend but getting to 95 segments is a too high given I fly only domestic and will never meet the 100,000 AQM requirement. I am guessing to get 95 segments, I will need to spend close to 30K. Why? My CPM is high, 0.40 CPM. There are SE who only flies long hauls whose CPM is around 0.15. To AC, 0.15 CPM is a better customer

Last year in 4 months of flying I reached $9000 AQD (good for E75K) but only 50 segments and they won't give me E75K. Guess what? I moved my next $11,000 of flying over to WestJet. AC with the current structure will not get more money from me beyond E50K. That is fine. I just split my business between the two since I get also get WJ Gold.
You are upset with AC FF policy, so you switch to Westjet's? Westjet has one of the worst FF programs in the world with benefits far below AC's. BTW, I see nothing wrong with AC top tier policy. AC counts segment, so it should be fairly easy to reach for any pax that fly's a lot.

Last edited by Wpgjetse; Jun 3, 2017 at 10:26 am
Old Jun 3, 2017, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
For their business purposes, AC made the decision to add a higher spend requirement for SE than the other tiers. This was in addition to the already established mileage or segment requirements.

To you, it may not be fair that one SE's CPM is .15 because they fly long-haul miles whereas as your CPM is .40 because of your short-haul segment flying.

It is what it is and CPM is not the measurement.

AC requires the miles or segments plus the spend for every Altitude level. It's not going away.

And if I was going to bet a buck, I'd say that spend is the thing airlines really care about and miles and segments are the "old days".

While many here were annoyed that AC set the spend so high for SE, AC knew exactly what they wanted and that's where they went. The fact that promises were made to improve things for those "who made the cut" and that many feel the promises of improved benefits has not materialized, is another conversation.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:39 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by jc94
... why did AC offer people the chance to "buy up" to another level.
Originally Posted by RangerNS
The answer is simple: cold, hard, 100% free and clear cash needing 0 avgas, 0 gate fees, 0 wear on airframes, 0 staff, etc.
I'm still waiting for my royalties: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...hitchcock.html
Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by KenHamer
I'm still waiting for my royalties: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...hitchcock.html
Ken, awesome OP there.

Clearly, you were a visionary and AC just didn't recognize it.
Indeed they owe you royalties.

I just love this. LOL

Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer
.....But shortly thereafter, CP was assimilated by the Borg, er, AC.)....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.