Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is AQD requirement helping or hurting AC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is AQD requirement helping or hurting AC?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Yes, but best prices often means they cannot be ticketed on 014.
And I'd like to see AC sell me a ticket for, say BKK-(TG)-CGK-(SQ)-SIN-(BR)-TPE.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:17 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
No. But that's not what this is about.

Right now LF is high, very high, and they need to extract every dollar that they can. When the LF drops, they will ease up the program rules etc.
Of course that strategy presupposes that after a FFer switches to a different program because of AQD, they will switch "back" the instant AC "improves" their FF program in light of falling ridership.

But there's a significant probability that many of those displaced FFers will be satisfied or even happy with their new arrangements and decide to stay where they are. After all, if AC starts to improve their FF program it's likely that all their competitors will as well.

I accidentally found myself in SkyTeam because I could not get an advance upgrade on a wide open J cabin on AC33, even on a >$6000 econo fare. And because I started the year in SkyTeam I found myself... directed, I suppose... on to Delta.

And once there I found that DL's program suited me perfectly. I never looked back (to AC.)
Old May 28, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by KenHamer

I accidentally found myself in SkyTeam because I could not get an advance upgrade on a wide open J cabin on AC33, even on a >$6000 econo fare. And because I started the year in SkyTeam I found myself... directed, I suppose... on to Delta.
33 has gotten slightly better in this regard.

Not perfect...but better
Old May 28, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I actually prefer AQD over the 50% rule
of 2015 which gave me P25 for 44k *A miles. My AQD that year? Probably at least $10k, depends on the AQD rules there as some was AC site booked non AC metal flights.

Is the AQD costing AC money? Probably yes, but maybe it's costing less than all the *G and SE or any other status options they were dealing with before. There must be a reason they moved from the old system to the 50% metal (for one year!) to AQD and it wasn't to improve the system for the paying public.

As had been commented up thread, until LF decrease and they start sending out empty seats AC doesn't care.

Related to the topic, I spend more as an elite that pre status due to wanting the miles and upgrades. Is this unique to AC? I don't know, if I was with UA I'd be able to book lowest fares and still use upgrades right? Ignoring basic economy.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
I reach up E50K, and then take additional trips on other carriers or with other alliances.

This year, I'm traveling 140K, but only 61K is going to AC. The AQD gap is too much to justify between E50K and E75K. To say nothing of E75K and SE.... I'm still spending less than $20K and flying mostly in business class.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Sat with a 50k, 75k and 100k on the last flight. Topic came up. The 100k person bumped up this year from 75k but it will not last. Some people get a job that bumps them up for months or so and then it ends.

The 75k and 50k qualified higher but could not pull off the AQD to get higher since the company paid flights are lowest fare only. I am only seeing status reduction with people I talk to and not elimination.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Cozmo456

The 75k and 50k qualified higher but could not pull off the AQD to get higher since the company paid flights are lowest fare only. I am only seeing status reduction with people I talk to and not elimination.
I agree. I think AC will cut FF benefits on Tango fares, matching US airlines.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Well I think that from what I have seen in the cabins, they are going out with empty seats in J both on international and domestic flights. They might be close to where they want to be.

They have lost some of my business to cheap F fares on Delta, American and United but that may be offset by my willingness to pay slightly more to "guarantee" front cabin from Flex or cheap Premium Economy fares on AC flights.

If I was a youngster, I might just avoid the whole scene and go with cheapest so likely some younger people will not be flying AC as much as they would have with the benefits/ease of earning SE that were given pre-AQD (or, in my case, lavished on me in late 1990s and 2000).

At my age, I can afford the slight increase in cost and if I continue to achieve 100% upgrade rate, then I will continue to stick with AC while flying on relatively cheap fares. If that changes, then I would look at other ways of guaranteeing that I fly up front, including more trips on discounted business class on any airline that flies where I want to go.
Old May 28, 2017, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Well I think that from what I have seen in the cabins, they are going out with empty seats in J both on international and domestic flights. They might be close to where they want to be.

They have lost some of my business to cheap F fares on Delta, American and United but that may be offset by my willingness to pay slightly more to "guarantee" front cabin from Flex or cheap Premium Economy fares on AC flights. .......
These are the fare quotes from Google Flights for YYZ-LAX in business on 08-Nov-2017 and one can easily see why AC flights are going out with empty seats in J. AC's pricing is simply not competitive. I recognize that AC is direct non-stop but it is not worth the premium. UA will give one access to UC on a transborder flight. No need for *G.

AC instead of dropping its fare a little closer to its American competitors, it prefers to save those J seats to its employees and SE on a Flex ticket.

Attached Images  
Old May 28, 2017, 4:48 pm
Original Member

By charging $1000 or more over their competitors they are uncheapening the J cabins.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:49 pm

Hit SE this week. In other years, the AQD to Air Canada might have continued. Not this year. Now burning miles, keeping cash whenever I can, so NO MORE AQD FOR AC DUE TO AE!

LOL.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:46 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Clipper801
These are the fare quotes from Google Flights for YYZ-LAX in business on 08-Nov-2017 and one can easily see why AC flights are going out with empty seats in J. AC's pricing is simply not competitive. I recognize that AC is direct non-stop but it is not worth the premium. UA will give one access to UC on a transborder flight. No need for *G.

AC instead of dropping its fare a little closer to its American competitors, it prefers to save those J seats to its employees and SE on a Flex ticket.

It's still what the market will hold, and AC won't change its pricing until they lose out on money.

If I was AC, I wouldn't give 2 ..... about UAs and DLs fares.

If AC sells the cabin at 3x the price of the competition but fills only 1/3 of its seats, it's still doing just as well ad the competition.

Plus, they'll have less pax go service and pay miles to.

Matter of fact, this may even be better since it means AC can monetize the cabin just as well as its competition, AND it keeps free seats for the FF that pay premium Y fares, AND it keeps open seats for its staff on vacation.

A much better business decision than filling up with cheap bottom feeding fare searchers, and (IMHO) a better sign of dominance over the competition.

Compare that with AC's international J and PE fares on certain markets. Full cabins but sold at rock bottom prices. AC was selling cheap P fares to Japan to fill up a 20J cabin, while NH is selling 5K fares where half the plane is J seats. You think NH is worried about AC's pricing? It probably laughs at it.
Old May 29, 2017, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber

They have lost some of my business to cheap F fares on Delta, American and United but that may be offset by my willingness to pay slightly more to "guarantee" front cabin from Flex or cheap Premium Economy fares on AC flights.

If I was a youngster, I might just avoid the whole scene and go with cheapest so likely some younger people will not be flying AC as much as they would have with the benefits/ease of earning SE that were given pre-AQD (or, in my case, lavished on me in late 1990s and 2000).

At my age, I can afford the slight increase in cost and if I continue to achieve 100% upgrade rate, then I will continue to stick with AC while flying on relatively cheap fares. If that changes, then I would look at other ways of guaranteeing that I fly up front, including more trips on discounted business class on any airline that flies where I want to go.
I am of similar mindset^
Old May 29, 2017, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
It's still what the market will hold, and AC won't change its pricing until they lose out on money.

If I was AC, I wouldn't give 2 ..... about UAs and DLs fares.

If AC sells the cabin at 3x the price of the competition but fills only 1/3 of its seats, it's still doing just as well ad the competition. .....
So long as the remaining 2/3 business class cabin remains vacant and not taken by eUpgrade on Flex fare, or AC employees or involuntary upgrade due to oversold in Y.
Old May 30, 2017, 1:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Clipper801
So long as the remaining 2/3 business class cabin remains vacant and not taken by eUpgrade on Flex fare, or AC employees or involuntary upgrade due to oversold in Y.
Actually it doesn't matter.

If they sell 1/3 of their cabin at 3x the average price of other airlines, then they can do whatever they want with the other 2/3 and still be equal or ahead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.