Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017.05.19 ac700

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by jc94
YYZ does not close. It stops operating scheduled flights between 1am and 6am. That doesn't mean that if a plane is circling at 1:30am they'll let it crash, but I can imagine there are fines (as mentioned) which is why if the plane has gas at 5:30am they'll wait.

I imagine ATC and some baggage guys etc are always around in case needed, probably paid overtime
Why is this so hard to accept..... again an incorrect statement. First there are scheduled flights even scheduled passenger flights after 1am. CX829 scheduled at 0150 and BR035 scheduled at 0145 both SCHEDULED DEPARTURES. Second there are scheduled arrivals before 0600 AC043 scheduled at 0500, AC057 scheduled at 0500 and those are just a couple that I took the time to loook up.

As for being here on OT..... only if it's a normal day off. I work plenty of night shifts as part of my regular rotation as do many other ATC and other airport staff.
Old May 20, 2017, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Speaking of which, departures right now are almost directly above me. Note to whomever: ACr 1816 to LIS and ACr 1908 to DUB... what a racket. Yet, AC 858 to LHR, so smooth and quiet. What is it with those 763s.
carry on....
Old May 20, 2017, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Speaking of which, departures right now are almost directly above me. Note to whomever: ACr 1816 to LIS and ACr 1908 to DUB... what a racket. Yet, AC 858 to LHR, so smooth and quiet. What is it with those 763s.
carry on....
But it's not 0100 yet.... so of course based on the alternative facts no planes are scheduled after 0100....
Old May 21, 2017, 7:19 am

carry on....
I never thought about it at the time, but I will go back and look at where those planes were at the time.... enjoy the future air show
Old May 21, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
But it's not 0100 yet.... so of course based on the alternative facts no planes are scheduled after 0100....
Golly gee, so the SCHEDULED 2 Am flight from Winnipeg and 4:19 Am flight from Montreal were not imaginary??? And those SCHEDULED SunWing, and Air Transat flights are real? Oh my. Insert "chortle" here. (Circumstances like this must be frustrating for you, when you simply state the truth and are still refuted. Sorry for that.)

And it is those flights that reinforce and support the OP and other's views. Weather related is an AC catch all "get out of jail" card employed whenever the airline wishes to avoid taking responsibility for the results of its own business decisions.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Insert "chortle" here. (Circumstances like this must be frustrating for you, when you simply state the truth and are still refuted. Sorry for that.)
You can't imagine how frustrating..... I get grief from MrsQQ all the time as I see things as black and white.... it either is, or it isn't. To hear repeated claims that there are NO scheduled arrivals or departures between 0030-0630, or 0045-0600, or 0100-0600, or whatever the latest claim is just isn't true.

For what it's worth I have found other domestic flights that are scheduled to arrive between 0100 and 0600, as well as a few more international flights..... but those don't count in the alternative facts reality we now live in
Old May 21, 2017, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
You can't imagine how frustrating..... I get grief from MrsQQ all the time as I see things as black and white.... it either is, or it isn't. To hear repeated claims that there are NO scheduled arrivals or departures between 0030-0630, or 0045-0600, or 0100-0600, or whatever the latest claim is just isn't true.

For what it's worth I have found other domestic flights that are scheduled to arrive between 0100 and 0600, as well as a few more international flights..... but those don't count in the alternative facts reality we now live in
Why is this so frustrating? Yes, YYZ does have limited flight operations at night, but they are on exemptions. So here are some questions. Does YYZ have a curfew or not? Can airlines/cargo companies schedule any flight operations they want at night? If you answer yes, why does YYZ not allow night time cargo operations, forcing cargo flights to Hamilton. Why are airlines fined for flights departing late at night? Why are charter flights not allowed YYZ operations after a certain time? Why can't airlines add special flights at night? Why are flights required to circle YYZ in the early morning and not land, if they arrive early?

Maybe you are using alternative facts?
Old May 21, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Why is this so frustrating? Yes, YYZ does have limited flight operations at night, but they are on exemptions. So here are some questions. Does YYZ have a curfew or not? Can airlines/cargo companies schedule any flight operations they want at night? If you answer yes, why does YYZ not allow night time cargo operations, forcing cargo flights to Hamilton. Why are airlines fined for flights departing late at night? Why are charter flights not allowed YYZ operations after a certain time? Why can't airlines add special flights at night? Why are flights required to circle YYZ in the early morning and not land, if they arrive early?

Are you sure about that? When are charter flights not allowed? I've never encountered that.

Here's a partial list of flights that arrived at YYZ last night between 01:15 and 06:30. Pretty typical night.

Code:
Flight          Type    From    Arrival Time
ROU1983         A319    MMMX    06:24AM EDT
WJA724          B738    CYVR    06:20AM EDT
ACA754          A320    KSFO    06:19AM EDT
ACA471          E190    CYOW    06:15AM EDT
WJA652          B737    CYYC    06:06AM EDT
ELY29           B763    LLBG    06:00AM EDT
ACA126          B77W    CYVR    05:46AM EDT
KNT101          E50P    KMKC    05:29AM EDT
ACA91           B789    SBGR    05:25AM EDT
ACA176          A320    CYEG    05:23AM EDT
WJA308          B736    CYMM    05:18AM EDT
ACA156          A319    CYYC    05:18AM EDT
ACA93           B789    SCEL    04:58AM EDT
ACA43           B789    VIDP    04:56AM EDT
RZO321          A330    LPPD    04:46AM EDT
KAL284          B748    KORD    04:42AM EDT
WEN8985         DH8D    CYSB    04:20AM EDT
WJA8985         DH8D    CYSB    04:19AM EDT
SWG681          B738    MUVR    03:13AM EDT
SWG443          B738    MDPC    02:22AM EDT
SWG603          B738    MUCC    02:19AM EDT
TSC885          B738    MUVR    02:07AM EDT
SWG643          B738    MUHG    01:53AM EDT
ACA786          A321    KLAX    01:36AM EDT
ACA124          A321    CYVR    01:32AM EDT
SWG753          B738    MKJS    01:28AM EDT
Old May 21, 2017, 11:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by After Burner
Are you sure about that? When are charter flights not allowed? I've never encountered that.

Here's a partial list of flights that arrived at YYZ last night between 01:15 and 06:30. Pretty typical night.

Did you see my post from 9:14pm last night?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28338853-post29.html
Old May 21, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: AA, AC
Did you see my post from 9:14pm last night?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28338853-post29.html

I guess I should read more than just the last couple of posts. But I didn't figure that someone would've posted a response to his post hours before he actually posted!
Old May 21, 2017, 11:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by After Burner

I guess I should read more than just the last couple of posts. But I didn't figure that someone would've posted a response to his post hours before he actually posted!

Yes, FT has that fun feature with people who don't like to scroll back more than a page.

Never underestimate the ability of FTers to post weird stuff and data at all hours of the day or night.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
It is unfortunate that an effort is still being made to deny that operations are ongoing at Pearson 24/7.

At Pearson airport between the hours of 12:30 a.m. and 6:30 a.m there are on average approximately 40 SCHEDULED flights comprising both passenger and cargo aircraft. They are not exemptions, they are not "fined" and they are not penalized for their operating hours. They are SCHEDULED as in meaning regularly occurring flights. There are also other flights that operate, including those related to flight delays and public security.

On May 19, the following cargo and passenger flight operations occurred;
00:01 to 00:59 - 47 flights
01:00 to 01:59 - 19 flights
02:00 to 02:59- 11 flights
03:00 to 03:59 - 4 flights
04:00 to 04:59 - 2 flights
05:00-05:59 - 11 flights
06:00-07:00 - 67 flights
Source: Pearson Airport Webtrak noise tracking recorder.

Pearson's management provides this explanation;
So why do we have these flights? Not only are they critical in helping travelers reach their destinations and get home again, they also ensure important goods and services are delivered on time – and that’s before we take into account uncontrollable situations, such as inclement weather, Medevac landings and police operations. They are also required to serve the ever evolving and changing travel requirements of our Canadian and global guests.

Someone insists that there is no cargo operation at night. Yet, the airport management itself states that there are cargo operations and provides an explanation for their occurrence as per bold section above

FEDEX has its hub of operations at Pearson airport. It did not build a state of the art facility for it to sit idle at night. As FEDEX states; its Pearson International YYZR is a major point of entry and exit for FedEx Canada. YYZR is a high-performance link in a worldwide system that never sleeps. UPS created a HUB at Pearson, moving its principal hub from Hamilton to Pearson for a good reason. Close to 45% of Canada's air cargo now transits through Pearson international.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse

It's frustrating because people post absolutes when it's not so.

First @Wpgjetse thank you for admitting that YYZ does have operations (albeit limited) at night. Previously you stated that they have no scheduled operations.

As to your questions.

Does YYZ have a curfew. Yes, no, maybe, sort of. They have various restrictions scattered throughout the day depending on the noise certification of the aircraft. Non-noise certified aircraft are restricted after 8pm, Chapter II noise compliant are restricted a bit later (midnight?? without being at work and looking at the documents), Chapter III noise compliant are restricted for departures after 0030, and arrivals after 0100. What does this all mean? Are airlines "FINED" for having operations after 0030? and before 0630? Not in the sense I believe you are inferring. There are limits on the number of "Quiet Hours" operations in a year, and if the airlines go over that threshold then yes there are fines/penalties.

Can airlines/cargo companies schedule any flight operations they want at night? Sure. The problem is the limit on the number of quiet hours operations. The GTAA prices landing fees higher (significantly) during this period to discourage operations so there are some left in reserve to accomodate irregular operations without going over the annual limit.

If you answer yes, why does YYZ not allow night time cargo operations, forcing cargo flights to Hamilton. See previous answer. They do allow, and they don't force. It's a commercial choice.

Why are charter flights not allowed YYZ operations after a certain time? They are. See above.

Why can't airlines add special flights at night? They can, and they do. They even add scheduled flights even though some on this board don't like to admit it.

Why are flights required to circle YYZ in the early morning and not land, if they arrive early? If a flight is scheduled to arrive in the "non-quiet" hours, they require an exemption to land during the quiet hours. This is not a fine or penalty, it's just increased landing costs UNLESS the airport as a whole is, or is forecast to be, over their annual limits then not only is there increased landing fees but fines as well. Some airlines want to land as close to 0630 as possible (but not before) so they don't have to pay the extra cost. This is also why most mornings there is a GDP in effect first thing. If the airlines had their way they'd all be in the air holding at the "bedposts" and then race in to see who gets to the runway first. Most mornings there are between 5 and 20 aircraft holding waiting to land right after 0630.

Hopefully this clears up some of the misconceptions about YYZ and night operations.

The one place I do know that has SIGNIFICANT fines is CYTZ. Once 2300 local hits, the airport is 100% closed (except medevacs helicopter or fixed wing) until 0645 local. The fine is $10,000 per operation and is non-discriminatory between commercial or civil, big or small. Even a civil cessna 172 cannot land after 2300 without a fine. Only twice in the 10 years that Porter has been operating into CYTZ have they had ops after 11pm. Both were 2 winters ago after a significant ice/snow event. They may have had special consideration but I can't confirm or deny it. That being said, the landing fees at CYTZ also go up after a certain time which in their case is 2200. I haven't seen it since Jazz took over the Q400s from Sky Regional, but I do recall on MANY MANY occasions Sky Regional being short final at 2201 and asking to divert to Pearson as they had missed their time (they called it curfew and it really was a self-imposed curfew, as it was truly an increased cost of operations). Similarly I have also seen Porter racing in to try and make 2300, only to overshoot at 2300:01 because they weren't wheels on the ground. I've even seen it when they are 1/4mile final or less.
Old May 21, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
My bad. I believed a SE who told me there was a curfew
Old May 21, 2017, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It's frustrating because people post absolutes when it's not so.

First @Wpgjetse thank you for admitting that YYZ does have operations (albeit limited) at night. Previously you stated that they have no scheduled operations.

As to your questions.

Does YYZ have a curfew. Yes, no, maybe, sort of. They have various restrictions scattered throughout the day depending on the noise certification of the aircraft. Non-noise certified aircraft are restricted after 8pm, Chapter II noise compliant are restricted a bit later (midnight?? without being at work and looking at the documents), Chapter III noise compliant are restricted for departures after 0030, and arrivals after 0100. What does this all mean? Are airlines "FINED" for having operations after 0030? and before 0630? Not in the sense I believe you are inferring. There are limits on the number of "Quiet Hours" operations in a year, and if the airlines go over that threshold then yes there are fines/penalties.

Can airlines/cargo companies schedule any flight operations they want at night? Sure. The problem is the limit on the number of quiet hours operations. The GTAA prices landing fees higher (significantly) during this period to discourage operations so there are some left in reserve to accomodate irregular operations without going over the annual limit.

If you answer yes, why does YYZ not allow night time cargo operations, forcing cargo flights to Hamilton. See previous answer. They do allow, and they don't force. It's a commercial choice.

Why are charter flights not allowed YYZ operations after a certain time? They are. See above.

Why can't airlines add special flights at night? They can, and they do. They even add scheduled flights even though some on this board don't like to admit it.

Why are flights required to circle YYZ in the early morning and not land, if they arrive early? If a flight is scheduled to arrive in the "non-quiet" hours, they require an exemption to land during the quiet hours. This is not a fine or penalty, it's just increased landing costs UNLESS the airport as a whole is, or is forecast to be, over their annual limits then not only is there increased landing fees but fines as well. Some airlines want to land as close to 0630 as possible (but not before) so they don't have to pay the extra cost. This is also why most mornings there is a GDP in effect first thing. If the airlines had their way they'd all be in the air holding at the "bedposts" and then race in to see who gets to the runway first. Most mornings there are between 5 and 20 aircraft holding waiting to land right after 0630.

Hopefully this clears up some of the misconceptions about YYZ and night operations.

The one place I do know that has SIGNIFICANT fines is CYTZ. Once 2300 local hits, the airport is 100% closed (except medevacs helicopter or fixed wing) until 0645 local. The fine is $10,000 per operation and is non-discriminatory between commercial or civil, big or small. Even a civil cessna 172 cannot land after 2300 without a fine. Only twice in the 10 years that Porter has been operating into CYTZ have they had ops after 11pm. Both were 2 winters ago after a significant ice/snow event. They may have had special consideration but I can't confirm or deny it. That being said, the landing fees at CYTZ also go up after a certain time which in their case is 2200. I haven't seen it since Jazz took over the Q400s from Sky Regional, but I do recall on MANY MANY occasions Sky Regional being short final at 2201 and asking to divert to Pearson as they had missed their time (they called it curfew and it really was a self-imposed curfew, as it was truly an increased cost of operations). Similarly I have also seen Porter racing in to try and make 2300, only to overshoot at 2300:01 because they weren't wheels on the ground. I've even seen it when they are 1/4mile final or less.
I'm actually more on @Wpgjetse's side now.

"Are airlines "FINED" for having operations after 0030? and before 0630? Not in the sense I believe you are inferring. ... yes there are fines/penalties."

"This is not a fine or penalty, it's just increased landing costs"

Sure, it's not a fine. It's just an extra fee they have to pay

Just like AC doesn't have fuel surcharges. Because they're "carrier surcharges". It's an irrelevant distinction for the passenger for the purpose of every discussion except "why hasn't the fuel surcharge disappeared with lower fuel prices".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.