Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada bumps man off flight, separating him from girlfriend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada bumps man off flight, separating him from girlfriend

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 5:58 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
That's cool. Maybe you should say that next time instead of being one sided in your prior post.
Maybe you should read my first post, which started out by saying it was likely a screw-up by AC and then commented on the excessive emotional angle of the story.
Old May 15, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I'd have a lot more sympathy for the dude if he didn't yammer stuff like this:
Same after reading it I was like WTH, this dude is pansy!

I can just see him sulking in the corner and sending her lots to text messages that he missed and love her, taking selfies, video messages.
Old May 15, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
so you think it is appropriate to fly him to a completely different city and not provide him with accommodations for the night?
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
When did I say that? Why is it that people on this board so often see only black and white? I started my post by saying "[l]ooks like another AC screw-up".

But it's entirely possible for AC to have screwed up (and owe compensation) AND the story about the emotional impact to be overwrought at the same time.
When did you say it?

They seem to have routed him through Calgary without a hotel room.
So what? Inconvenience, yes. Frustration, sure. But it's not like they sent him to Somalia. If he was truly as emotionally damaged by the experience as the article suggests, he's an extremely fragile person.
You clearly dismissed both the location and the lack of hotel room. If you take a small step back and look at the totality of the thread, yes, you acknowledge AC's screw-up, but you dismiss 24 hours of diversion as simply inconvenient and frustrating, and most people would say it's a bit more than that if you're not even given an hotel room (meaning you might not be reimbursed for it without a protracted fight for it).

Last edited by Grog; May 15, 2017 at 6:36 am
Old May 15, 2017, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I'd have a lot more sympathy for the dude if he didn't yammer stuff like this:
Maybe in the future they'll be able to plug people's brains back into the computer and give disgruntled passengers back the feelings and emotional things that they missed out on.
Old May 15, 2017, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Maybe you should read my first post, which started out by saying it was likely a screw-up by AC and then commented on the excessive emotional angle of the story.
yes, I see that now, my apologies.
Old May 15, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
"It's not just about the compensation. It's also about the feelings, emotional things," said Qingyang Liu.
"It made me feel very confused, lost and depressed,"
"This is definitely the worst experience I've had."
Qingyan Liu even provided a sad emo selfie for CBC to share.

He seems like the kid in school who would call his teacher, "mommy", and got beaten up, and then his older brothers would also get beaten up, by the younger kids, when he would get his older brothers to help.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I agree with most of the posters here, even when they have trouble agreeing with each other.

(1) AC messed up. They rerouted him to another city with an unexpected overnight. AC should have paid for a hotel.

(2) If some customers with Chinese names have trouble entering their name correctly (as simpleflyer suggested), then AC needs to fix the system to make it clearer and easier. If the system is too euro-centric then something is wrong.

(3) The part about being separated from his girlfriend is a red herring. The emotional turmoil is irrelevant unless one of them was acting as a caregiver for the other. If it was so important that they stay together then she should have waited for him instead of boarding the airplane.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: AP SPG HH
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
This boy needs to grow up.

"It made me feel very confused, lost and depressed,"

Pathetic. What an assault to mental health victims. This kid is apparently not an adolescent either.
Do you know for a fact that this guy does not have mental health issues?
Old May 15, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Liu said he's flown all over the world and has never had an experience like he did this weekend. "This is definitely the worst experience I've had."

Seems like he is not handling it well. Millions of passengers per day get to their destinations without issue, yet this is the story that makes then news.

And, I wish my lucky stars that something like that would be "the worst experience I've had".
Old May 15, 2017, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by mapleg
.....Seems like he is not handling it well. Millions of passengers per day get to their destinations without issue, yet this is the story that makes then news.

Correction. It made The CBC News.

It is not on Global. It is not on CTV, who seems to think the bigger story is the family kicked off JetBlue because of a cake is more newsy-news.

Haven't checked to see if it's made the BBC, Bloomberg, WSJ, NYT and such.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: AP SPG HH
Since Liu (刘) has travelled the world I am sure he knows how to enter his name for ticket purchase. If there was an error on the ticket why was it not caught at check-in since he has to provide his proof of identity at that stage? If there was an error, the gate agent corrected it but not until after his seat had been given to someone else, perhaps a higher paying passenger. "He said an Air Canada employee was able to fix the issue, but then told him the plane was full and he'd been bumped off the flight to Saskatoon." I didn't know gate agents could "fix" identity issues.
Even AC agrees that this is unusual. AC suggests you arrive 90 minutes before departure for an intra Canada flight. Check-in closes 45 minutes before departure. He checked in 60 minutes before departure.
He was IDB'd, his seat should have been held until the issue was corrected since it was a correctable issue.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by smallmj
I agree with most of the posters here, even when they have trouble agreeing with each other.

(1) AC messed up. They rerouted him to another city with an unexpected overnight. AC should have paid for a hotel.

(2) If some customers with Chinese names have trouble entering their name correctly (as simpleflyer suggested), then AC needs to fix the system to make it clearer and easier. If the system is too euro-centric then something is wrong.

(3) The part about being separated from his girlfriend is a red herring. The emotional turmoil is irrelevant unless one of them was acting as a caregiver for the other. If it was so important that they stay together then she should have waited for him instead of boarding the airplane.
The problem is that CBC cannot understand that 1 and 2 are the stories. However, apparently J school teaches reporters to pander to cheap sentiment, so 3 becomes the headline and hook of the story. I think the flyer's experience would not receive half the disparagement here and possibly elsewhere if it hadn't included the boo-hoo-miss-my-bae angle. I wonder why girlfriend did not switch to the same itinerary as him. At least they could have been shelterless at YYC together, which seems to meet the needs alluded to in the headline.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Qingyan Liu even provided a sad emo selfie for CBC to share.

He seems like the kid in school who would call his teacher, "mommy", and got beaten up, and then his older brothers would also get beaten up, by the younger kids, when he woul get his older brothers to help.
Lots of "I am man, hear me roar" going on today.

Guy gets bumped off a flight, sent to a different city and not provided a hotel room, but it's not okay for him to point out how this very oddly managed situation caused some emotional distress?

Won't even bother with the apparent belief that only going to Somalia warrants distress. That's just intellectual laziness, but at least it's a stab at intellect.
Blathering about teachers and mommies and high school - you'd be wise not to start projecting your own life experiences on others. Or, for that matter, turning this forum into a (st)ick measuring contest.

Yes, we're all impressed by the ability of some people here to put up with whatever AC throws at the without feeling the need to hold AC to account. Can't speak for AC, but I wish my clients were the same ilk of pushovers, congratulating themselves on their stoicism if I screwed up.
Old May 15, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by yulred
Can't speak for AC, but I wish my clients were the same ilk of pushovers, congratulating themselves on their stoicism if I screwed up.
Indeed. People feel how they feel. Some folks react quite emotionally to almost any situation. Though reacting emotionally rarely helps, it's not an invalid response.

I don't think it's a great secret that I generally question the "need" to bump pax at all. But if it does happen, I do think the airline should step up and pay for whatever comes after. In this case, the pax was owed compensation and I think, a hotel room. If AC had bumped the pax but taken care of him, this would not have been a story.
Old May 15, 2017, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What a baby. I agree a hotel room would have been appropriate though.

Must be a slow news day at the CBC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.