Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Such that it is actually searchable text - one of the important changes to the Aeroplan program in 2019 for Super Elites:

New for Air Canada Altitude Super Elite 100K members: Complimentary changes and refunds
Beginning July 15, 2019, Air Canada Super Elite 100K members will no longer be charged a fee when they request a change to their Flight Reward booking. Additionally, these members will also no longer be charged a fee to refund their bookings. These fee waivers will apply to all bookings, including those made prior to the new policy coming into effect.

Read the below screenshots for the rest.

July 15 2019
"AEROPLAN FLIGHT REWARDS: NOW WITH MORE FLEXIBILITY AND PEACE-OF-MIND"

https://www.aeroplan.com/whats_new/news_articles.do?dl=WhatsNew_WEBUP31000285_2019_07 _15¤tLanguage=en

New chart with fees in this post

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31306687-post1334.html

Older news releases from 2017 below

Air Canada "What You Need to Know"

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...d-to-know.html

Air Canada Press Release May 11, 2017

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1135

Aeroplan News "To Our Valued Members" - May 11, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/whats_new/...New_2017_05_09

Aeroplan & Air Canada update

We'd like to help our members understand the latest news about our partner, Air Canada.

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-...id=BAN30000311

From Aeroplan - UPDATE May 31, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-and-aeroplan-update.do

Aeroplan Saga Ends in a Long, Financial Detour:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle35080509/

August 11 2017

"We're on solid ground so your plans can take flight."

https://www.aeroplan.com/program-updates.do?currentLanguage=en&cid=008692096

"Five things you need to know about your miles"

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

September 19, 2017 - Investor Day Presentation

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

//
Print Wikipost

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2017, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by fin 645
Not even AC nor AP. They have announced the creation of a vacuum, not a plan. Everyone is trying to figure out the best strategy, which involves a lot of guesswork and assumptions. Hardly encouraging as a business strategy by either AC or AP.
How do you know AC doesn't know what they are doing? If you use your miles and not collect them, why does it even matter. Way to many armchair quarterbacks on this subject.
Old May 13, 2017, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ridefar
Not much of a guess is it?

AE points will be good for market fare on AC, and not at all for *A, after June 2020. Where is the guess there?

No points will transfer. No guessing there either.

We will all start from zero as of July 1, 2020. Still not guessing.

Given that market fares are often 10x as expensive as fixed rate redemption, my estimation of a 50% devaluation is generous. Even more so given that *A is not going to be available. But that is a subjective value to some, so I didn't get too wound up on that one. (To me, it is critical, I rarely redeem for Canadian or NA travel. But that is just me.)

So... not sure where the guesses are.

Let's say I have 1,000,000 AE points as of July 1st, 2020. Do you really think AC will incent or bonus me anything close to that? Of course not. That is a guess, but a pretty educated one.

That is why I am surprised by the relatively low key reaction here. We don't need to guess. AC has actually said: nothing transfers, no *A redemptions, etc. It doesn't make any sense, it means there loyalty program has little to no value in 2019, and completely torches a ton of revenue and good will. Which is why I don't really take them at face value on this one. But if you do think they are being honest, there is not much guess work either.
"Not much of a guess is it" ???? This is a total guess. You have know idea what AC is planning. The key to this is , use your miles.
Old May 13, 2017, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
......Way to many armchair quarterbacks on this subject.
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Air Canada division and enjoy your visit.

How do you know AC doesn't know what they are doing?....
Well, the website, for starters. And the app. And the baggage police...
Old May 13, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
"Not much of a guess is it" ???? This is a total guess. You have know idea what AC is planning. The key to this is , use your miles.
Everything I typed above "not sure where the guesses are" is from AC's web pages. In other words, not guesses.
Old May 13, 2017, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ridefar
Everything I typed above "not sure where the guesses are" is from AC's web pages. In other words, not guesses.
NOOOOOOOO. You are 100% guessing on what's going to happen. Period.
Old May 13, 2017, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 24left
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Air Canada division and enjoy your visit.

^
Old May 13, 2017, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
How are they screwing people why don't fly by repatriating their FF program?

Why should AC care about people who deal with credit cards and aeroplan? They are not their customers. The thing may affect occasional flyers who also are credit card hoarders. But they are only AC customers as occasional flyers. And they may get hurt as CC hoarders, but as such they are not AC customers.

If people actually fly AC there is hope their miles will end up being worth something, again. Even if they only fly infrequently. While right now it's only the frequent flyers who got miles worth something. Still, at the end of the day, frequent flyer programs are meant to retain frequent flyers...

Seems they cannot do anything right. For once they are doing the right thing and people still complain.
Are you saying that "occasional flyers" of 2 or 3 round trips a year aren't their customers? That we should be tossed off a cliff? Get over yourself.

They're screwing us in the rapid loss of value and utility in Aeroplan miles, which we earned by playing by their rules with the expectation of the stated reward. That's on top of screwing us over Rouging routes to devalue the quality of service without equally lowering the cost. Their further screwing us by increasing capacity by decreasing space, lowering the quality of the seats, and likewise charging us more. The fact that 10% of their customers or so don't fly in economy doesn't make those that do "not customers". In fact, most of their customers don't have status, don't fly in Biz class, and do collect Aeroplan points and use them to buy tickets.

If you're going to be an elitist snob, have the balls to admit it.
Old May 13, 2017, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
They're screwing us in the rapid loss of value and utility in Aeroplan miles, which we earned by playing by their rules with the expectation of the stated reward.
Wow, calm down!

Air Canada's agreement with Aimia ends in June of 2020. They have given us 3 years and one month to do something about our Aeroplan miles.

Given Air Canada's piss poor historical lack of notice with anything related to Air Canada news, a 3 year notice is definitely appreciated.

They could have very well screwed us all last minute.
Old May 13, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by Dorian
Actually, the more I think about it, it becomes obvious that AC is going to have to get pretty creative about this transition....by the end of this year or earlier IMO.

This announcement has and will continue to introduce too much uncertainty around loyalty and revenue as well as increase the possibility of bad press for years.

AC should hire a dozen of us to figure this out for them as you know they are going to F it up.
Yes, there is lots that can happen, and lots that needs to be done.

BUT

One thing that has been lacking in this thread has been thanking AC for the advanced notice. Historically we have gotten pathetic notice from AC on changes and we have complained about it to no end. For once, we have sufficient notice. Thank you AC.
Old May 13, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Yes, there is lots that can happen, and lots that needs to be done.

BUT

One thing that has been lacking in this thread has been thanking AC for the advanced notice. Historically we have gotten pathetic notice from AC on changes and we have complained about it to no end. For once, we have sufficient notice. Thank you AC.
Agree. It's a refreshing change.
--
13F
Old May 13, 2017, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by AC MMSE
Dead man walking at AE. Unless another carrier picks this up. I bet the partnership goes for pennies on the dollar to a dark (green) horse.
Would be hilarious if Porter was the buyer.

Last edited by tcook052; May 13, 2017 at 8:46 pm Reason: off topic
Old May 13, 2017, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Anyone Keeping tabs on the doomsday clock, any room in your bombshelter?
Old May 13, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Anyone Keeping tabs on the doomsday clock, any room in your bombshelter?
https://www.timeanddate.com/countdow...l&font=cursive
Old May 13, 2017, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I checked Craigslist for bombshelter space.
Old May 13, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
A new low for FT?

Holy crap!!

33 pages of posts about something that is more than three years away from implemented.

Talk about worrying about a bridge that will have to be crossed when you have no idea where the bridge will be, where it'll take you and what kind of bridge it will be.

It's clear who the emotional bunch here are though.

Three years is quite a bit of time for a business cycle, a lot will happen between the announcement and what actually gets implemented.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.