Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Such that it is actually searchable text - one of the important changes to the Aeroplan program in 2019 for Super Elites:

New for Air Canada Altitude Super Elite 100K members: Complimentary changes and refunds
Beginning July 15, 2019, Air Canada Super Elite 100K members will no longer be charged a fee when they request a change to their Flight Reward booking. Additionally, these members will also no longer be charged a fee to refund their bookings. These fee waivers will apply to all bookings, including those made prior to the new policy coming into effect.

Read the below screenshots for the rest.

July 15 2019
"AEROPLAN FLIGHT REWARDS: NOW WITH MORE FLEXIBILITY AND PEACE-OF-MIND"

https://www.aeroplan.com/whats_new/news_articles.do?dl=WhatsNew_WEBUP31000285_2019_07 _15¤tLanguage=en

New chart with fees in this post

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31306687-post1334.html

Older news releases from 2017 below

Air Canada "What You Need to Know"

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...d-to-know.html

Air Canada Press Release May 11, 2017

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1135

Aeroplan News "To Our Valued Members" - May 11, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/whats_new/...New_2017_05_09

Aeroplan & Air Canada update

We'd like to help our members understand the latest news about our partner, Air Canada.

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-...id=BAN30000311

From Aeroplan - UPDATE May 31, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-and-aeroplan-update.do

Aeroplan Saga Ends in a Long, Financial Detour:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle35080509/

August 11 2017

"We're on solid ground so your plans can take flight."

https://www.aeroplan.com/program-updates.do?currentLanguage=en&cid=008692096

"Five things you need to know about your miles"

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

September 19, 2017 - Investor Day Presentation

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

//
Print Wikipost

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Titanium, Nexus
Noticed a change on the Altitude page. They have removed the 2017 and 2018 program info links that were at the bottom. Only 2019 remains.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by FifthBiz
Noticed a change on the Altitude page. They have removed the 2017 and 2018 program info links that were at the bottom. Only 2019 remains.
I still see 17+18
Stranger likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 6:13 pm

I just logged in to my Air Canada account tonight and it is showing me as a "Prestige 25K" member. I'm NOT a frequent flyer and have never reached status but have been a Diamond Member on Aeroplan for years through CC spending.

Is this new? An unintentional leak?

Old Dec 1, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by danjamespei
I just logged in to my Air Canada account tonight and it is showing me as a "Prestige 25K" member. I'm NOT a frequent flyer and have never reached status but have been a Diamond Member on Aeroplan for years through CC spending.

Is this new? An unintentional leak?

New, and probable bug or glitch.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 6:40 pm

I don't think it's a bug. I have full access to the Altitude Dashboard and clearly shows me as Prestige 25K and working towards my 35K. It also has allowed me to select my preferred privileges, etc.

Just to be clear. I have only 6,506 AQM and 502AQD in 2019 and 0 in 2018.

Update: Also have 20 eUpgrade credits added to my account dated November 9th.

Last edited by danjamespei; Dec 1, 2019 at 7:13 pm
Old Dec 1, 2019, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I don't think it's a bug. I have full access to the Altitude Dashboard and clearly shows me as Prestige 25K and working towards my 35K. It also has allowed me to select my preferred privileges, etc.

use 'em or lose 'em!
24left likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: Several

Same for me. I have not had AC elite status for a few years as I fly many other airlines and private. I have been Diamond with AP since it started. This past year I flew a total of 2 paid segments with AC YYC-YYZ and YUL-YVR . All remaining flights I did on AC were AP reward flights (trying to spend my +925,000 AP miles). I did not receive a notification but I did log into the AP Altitude site and I too am 25K Silver and was able to choose all appropriate rewards. I did fly a short haul AC paid flight this past week and it showed 25K on my boarding pass.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE

I noticed the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Maybe they're trying to get people to credit more flights to AC. In the past year, I credited a total of 2 round trip flights to AC (YYZ-EWR and YYZ-YUL), and they didn't amount to much. For years, I credited revenue flights to TK. or flew on Aeroplan miles.

Nice gesture, but I either redeem for Business when on Aeroplan, or I just pay for Z/P, so their 'gift' isn't likely to change any behaviour on my part, since status isn't useful to me.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
Maybe they're trying to get people to credit more flights to AC.
I suspect you're absolutely right. But I think showing up on time every now and them might have more effect.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
I noticed the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Maybe they're trying to get people to credit more flights to AC. In the past year, I credited a total of 2 round trip flights to AC (YYZ-EWR and YYZ-YUL), and they didn't amount to much. For years, I credited revenue flights to TK. or flew on Aeroplan miles.

Nice gesture, but I either redeem for Business when on Aeroplan, or I just pay for Z/P, so their 'gift' isn't likely to change any behaviour on my part, since status isn't useful to me.
I too fly exclusively on reward flights when I fly on AC and mostly in J (Thanks AMEX, TD, CIBC) so I don't really need the status benefits. On the other hand, the Aeroplan status benefits that are market fare discount and Diamond reduced cancellation fees are very valuable to me.

Speaking of that: I am planning to hire a lawyer to send a cease and desist letter to AC/Aeroplan to try to prevent them from taking away those benefits earlier than previously marketed (ie: taking them away sometime during 2020 as they recently announced, instead of providing them until end of 2020 as marketed for people who earned status for 2020). Is anyone willing to participate by pitching in (crowdfunding) for the cost of having a Quebec lawyer write and send the cease and desist letter ?

Last edited by yulsee; Dec 2, 2019 at 7:46 am
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Could they be granting P25K to Diamond members in preparation for a new fee schedule for all Altitude tiers, such that you would keep your benefits even after Diamond disappears?
TechnoTourist and yulsee like this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Could they be granting P25K to Diamond members in preparation for a new fee schedule for all Altitude tiers, such that you would keep your benefits even after Diamond disappears?
If they have, I don't win. I've been Diamond for several years too, but not quite enough spend to qualify for status this year. From what I can read, there will be a replacement for these Aeroplan tiers for high earn, non-frequent flier status members.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by yulsee
I too fly exclusively on reward flights when I fly on AC and mostly in J (Thanks AMEX, TD, CIBC) so I don't really need the status benefits. On the other hand, the Aeroplan status benefits that are market fare discount and Diamond reduced cancellation fees are very valuable to me.

Speaking of that: I am planning to hire a lawyer to send a cease and desist letter to AC/Aeroplan to try to prevent them from taking away those benefits earlier than previously marketed (ie: taking them away sometime during 2020 as they recently announced, instead of providing them until end of 2020 as marketed for people who earned status for 2020). Is anyone willing to participate by pitching in (crowdfunding) for the cost of having a Quebec lawyer write and send the cease and desist letter ?
Unless collecting for 2021 is a perk, everything I've read indicates nothing is lost until the end of the advertised period.

What communication indicates otherwise?
Stranger likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 9:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Unless collecting for 2021 is a perk, everything I've read indicates nothing is lost until the end of the advertised period.

What communication indicates otherwise?
It says it right here that I'll enjoy my benefits through 2020:
Originally Posted by https://www.aeroplan.com/status/overview

HOW TO QUALIFY FOR AEROPLAN STATUS

Members can qualify for Aeroplan status in 2020 based on the eligible miles they earn through December 31, 2019. Once you qualify, benefits begin immediately and continue through the following calendar year.

English dictionaries say "through period xxx" mean "during the whole of a period of time until the end of it"

However Aeroplan recently announced a bait and switch: some Aeroplan status benefits (The two most valuable ones) will be discontinued will be discontinued sometime in 2020, and not provided until the end of the year.

Last edited by yulsee; Dec 2, 2019 at 9:15 am
Old Dec 2, 2019, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
But what says you won't get that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.