Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC: Air Canada leaves teen 'trapped' alone overnight at Toronto's Pearson airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC: Air Canada leaves teen 'trapped' alone overnight at Toronto's Pearson airport

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
We both agree that AC dropped the ball. I'm sure you've read my first post within this thread as to my thoughts re top-of-list treatment.

My so-called contentious point was some posters here overstating the hazards and risks to the teen, and the teen himself claiming he could not find food and was akin to being held prisoner.
I think that is fair...........on one hand he said he was afraid of being robbed which by extension proves he had money for food.

My venom isn't with AC proper. It is with these GA's who just told him to beat it. Saying every hotel within an hour is full means you get a hotel that is 65 minutes away. Those people should lose their job.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:14 am

re the unaccompanied minor program - it's been mentioned several times in the thread that the service is not available for connecting flights. Since he flew DEN-YYZ-YQT, it was not available to him.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
We both agree that AC dropped the ball. I'm sure you've read my first post within this thread as to my thoughts re top-of-list treatment.

My so-called contentious point was some posters here overstating the hazards and risks to the teen, and the teen himself claiming he could not find food and was akin to being held prisoner.
+1
Old May 11, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by laidback71
Why does this matter? Does the level of service depend on the purpose of your trip?
Yes AC dropped the ball. Shame on them.

Shame on the mom too. Shame on her for not sending the kid prepared with cash if needed, and double shame on her for going onto facebook, getting prepped on what to say, how to say it, going to the CBC for sympathy and inciting a huge storm of wasted controversy, and then having all the threads prepping her be "deleted". Come on.

it's one thing to ask for help here on how to game the system (ie, Around the World AP trips), it's another one to game the system to smash up potential goodwill. People wonder why AC doesn't break their back all the time --- it's because of people like this who feel overly entitled that they are ALWAYS RIGHT.

Give it a rest. Both sides were at fault here.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by jazzsax

Shame on the mom too. Shame on her for not sending the kid prepared with cash if needed, and double shame on her for going onto facebook, getting prepped on what to say, how to say it, going to the CBC for sympathy and inciting a huge storm of wasted controversy, and then having all the threads prepping her be "deleted". Come on.

it's one thing to ask for help here on how to game the system (ie, Around the World AP trips), it's another one to game the system to smash up potential goodwill. People wonder why AC doesn't break their back all the time --- it's because of people like this who feel overly entitled that they are ALWAYS RIGHT.

Disagree as you make it sound like the family trumped up bogus events rather than casting them in a certain like which is after all what corporations do all the time. A small amount of PR spin doesn't mitigate what happened in this case as consumers also shouldn't have to resort to such lengths to get fair treatment. That is merely MHO as a poster of course and it's okay if YMMV.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by jazzsax

I see no shame in an individual using every tool at their disposal for exposing a big corporation's failure to honour their own promises. They should feel entitled to expect AC to honour their commitments. Sheesh.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by 28isGreat
I see no shame in an individual using every tool at their disposal for exposing a big corporation's failure to honour their own promises. They should feel entitled to expect AC to honour their commitments. Sheesh.
EXCELLENT post. Blaming the mom because she bought a ticket for her son to fly home is not right.

These ACbots love to blame the victim. Mom wasn't asking for anything over and above what she paid for. Son needs to fly from Denver to Thunder Bay. It really is that clear. Delays happen yes.

Mom was mad that the son asked numerous GA's for assistance and was told we cannot help you. Mom called AC and was told nothing could be done due to a runway under construction.

Mom bought a ticket. AC caused an issue. Blame AC.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I'd like to see what happens when this happens again, but to a 17 year and 11 months old kid who is well travelled. Or a 18 year old and one month kid who just flew for the first time.

This is the issue and common theme with these repetitive threads in this forum. It boils down to some margin of subjectivity that will never, ever see concensus.

And then people get personal about specific things and latch onto them like no tomorrow, looking to pick a fight.

If this thread doesn't get locked eventually, I'd be shocked!
Old May 11, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by yyznomad
And then people get personal about specific things and latch onto them like no tomorrow, looking to pick a fight.

If this thread doesn't get locked eventually, I'd be shocked!
I agree about the subjectivity, but as far as differing opinions go on this forum, I thought it's been quite civilized so far. We're all managing to find common ground and nobody here has held the airline blameless, to my understanding.

Any conflict here seems to me a reflection upon today's generational shift in thinking, as far as the perceived dangers to teenagers traveling solo when travel plans go sideways.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree about the subjectivity, but as far as differing opinions go on this forum, I thought it's been quite civilized so far. We're all managing to find common ground and nobody here has held the airline blameless, to my understanding.

Any conflict here seems to me a reflection upon today's generational shift in thinking, as far as the perceived dangers of teenagers traveling solo when travel plans go sideways.
Yeah you're right. It has been more tame than some of the other similar threads that have been locked.
Old May 11, 2017, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Don't you mean HKG? A lot of SIN is old.
Except I spend a lot of time in both and while HKG is bright and modern during daylight hours, good luck at 4:30 am.

At least Changi is open and available at all hours of the day or night. Just walking from the lounges to the gate at 1:00am, I am constantly amazed at all of the retail and food options available. And the various terminals are always buzzing.

Make no mistake. YYZ is NEITHER HKG nor SIN.
Old May 11, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by The smallest state
I had this happen when my son and his girlfriend were 17 and they were stuck after missing the last bus off of the ski hill. I had to book them a hotel room each (I know, I know, what you are thinking, it went through my mind too.) and they were fine.
Did you get bonus points because only one of the rooms needed cleaning?
Old May 11, 2017, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Did you get bonus points because only one of the rooms needed cleaning?
Oh I am very sure one, or both, went into the 'spare' room and messed it up just to look like it was slept in and used.
Old May 11, 2017, 1:35 pm

To those are questioning just how "scared" he was... get over your selves. Some of us love big airports, ppl, travel. Some, especially those who grew up in more remote parts of the country do not.

i have a 27yr old sister flying for the first time in her life paying a 200$/per direction premium to fly direct yhz-yeg versus a one stop in yyz (even in the smaller T3) simply because she has never flown in her life and believes every wayward story that the media feeds us.

Is it all a ruse to pull maxmium compensation and empathy from the public/airline? Maybe. But since when have we become judge and jury.

As was posted upthread, this seems to happen once every year or two and the end result is the airline promising action... and yet it keeps happening.

To be honest I have never seen airline staff in my life as disinterested in their jobs and basic functions as those at YYZ.
Old May 11, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Not to take away from this young man's situation but same thing happened to two elderly relatives. Not experienced flyers, no status. AC (BOS) refused to help. Relatives were not asking for hotel to be comped or compensation. They called me and I arranged airport hotel from YYZ.

No compassion in evidence. Very stressful for these elderly women.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.