Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC: Air Canada leaves teen 'trapped' alone overnight at Toronto's Pearson airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC: Air Canada leaves teen 'trapped' alone overnight at Toronto's Pearson airport

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Air Canada really bungled this one. Meanwhile, Minister Garneau delays with his new law.
Originally Posted by CanRulez
I agree with you. He's 15, and he's in an airport...probably one of the safest places to be "stranded."
I'm not trying to defend AC here but it's not like the kid was left to sleep on a park bench in the middle of winter.
You make a rather bold assumption there. An airport is not the safest place to be, particularly if one is a frightened kid. You are an older adult male and do not have the perspective of those who are targeted. The daily crimes range from pick pocketing, to theft of bags, to basic assault to sexual assault. Do you truly believe that women are not assaulted at Pearson, or that sexual predators are not on the prowl? Do not assume that because the police are not allowed to release specific crime stats that the crimes do not occur. They do.

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I believe the airline needs to improve its unaccompanied minor practices. There's my up-front disclaimer. He should have been top-of-list for staff ensuring he received shelter for the duration of the delay. But then again, the guy is 15, not 5. He's a few months away from being able to drive and get married and have sex and in some countries, vote and order a beer. The legal definition of child should not automatically imply helplessness. One wonders how much of the "I was scared and hungry and alone" has been reimagined for compensatory purposes.

I don't wish to sound unsympathetic, but if the basics of finding food within a 24/7 airport terminal elude a teenager, one questions whether traveling unchaperoned is wise.
What you just tried to do was to shift the "latitude of acceptance". It is a common method to explain or to justify wrongful behavior. Here is the reality; He was a 15 year old and all that matters, is that he was a minor. You assume he would drive a vehicle and you assume he could get married, and you assume that he was equipped to handle the stressful situation. Your assumptions are not relevant. The law says he was a minor. Air Canada's own procedures considered him to be a minor.

Pearson is not a 24/7 airport. The shops and restaurants start to close down at 11 PM air side. It's an empty, dark and scary place at night. There are a handful of flights after 00:30 with the latest, the CX to Hong Kong at around 01:30. The terminal land side where the boy was is dead after 11 PM and there is nowhere to eat or to purchase a warm beverage until 5- 6 AM.

Originally Posted by caycay
I wasn't at YYZ on Tuesday night, but a colleague and I flew into YYZ on Sun and Mon nights respectively, and the heavy rain compounded the runway situation, leaving many flights delayed or cancelled, and the airport hotels full. I can't imagine the situation improved much on Tues.

The sevice standard for Air Canada also says "arrange for" flights, hotels etc. It doesn't say "pay for" or "provide for free" anywhere.

I'll give Air Canada some benefit on this one - they should have found the young man a hotel room at his family's cost, but he also should have had the means and the wherewithal to get food on his own.
Just where was he to purchase food when there is no availability landside at that hour? The child arrived late and then spent hours trying to obtain assistance. By the time he was done, that was it. I experienced the same treatment a few times, and I was in business class. YYZ is a cold unfriendly terrible place to be after 11 PM.

Originally Posted by Grog
I really don't understand why there's even a conversation about it being okay for anyone underage to have to spend a night alone in what amounts to a public space. How low we've sunk if we collectively think it's perfectly fine.
Some people are inherently selfish and cruel. It is part of the reason why they are still playing dungeons and dragons and coding software for people who ridicule them. These are also the people who say everyone else misbehaves on an airplane, when the reality is they are often the worst offenders.

Originally Posted by whyfseeguy
In another news, Air Canada has the lowest score in the most recent J.D. Power survey of all North American carriers.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/j-d-...tjet-1.4093884
What a surprise. One of the apologists will soon be along to call it false news.

Originally Posted by ffsim
Victim blaming is a sport 'round here
Not a sport, just a reflection of those who do it. Same people who pee on the lavatory toilet seat and giggle.
Old May 10, 2017, 7:29 pm

The fact that some of you, adults with years and years of experience, are projecting your logic and way of thinking onto a 15 year old is insane.

How can a rational adult with a pulse see a 15 year old stranded overnight and not actually ensure they are properly taken care of? There is literally zero room to defend AC here.

I get the feeling from reading some posts on a lot of these incidents that some of you would defend some of these actions even if they resulted in a death of a passenger.
Old May 10, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by ReallyNotFrequentFlyer
I get the feeling from reading some posts on a lot of these incidents that some of you would defend some of these actions even if they resulted in a death of a passenger.
Just read the UA dragging thread and you'll see the next best thing.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
If you think the comments on this thread are cruel, read the comments in the CBC article itself.

Poor little 15 year old stranded in one of the most modern airports in the world...

15 is the new 10.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
What "modern" things are at play there after 11pm?
Old May 10, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
If you think the comments on this thread are cruel, read the comments in the CBC article itself.

Poor little 15 year old stranded in one of the most modern airports in the world...

15 is the new 10.
Though to be fair if this happens to your kid you might be screaming to the concierge or SE desk to get him the accommodation he deserved.

I mean I have seen this mentality and believe me it's actually understandable.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:04 pm

What! Air Canada flies to Changi? Finally!
Old May 10, 2017, 10:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
What! Air Canada flies to Changi? Finally!
Don't you mean HKG? A lot of SIN is old.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by Simon
Lights that work for one thing. It's not pitch dark at midnight inside any airport, let alone YYZ.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Lights that work for one thing. It's not pitch dark at midnight inside any airport, let alone YYZ.
You make it sounds as if that's acceptable level of "accommodation". I mean if people are plants I guess so but. .....

Last edited by Jumper Jack; May 10, 2017 at 10:24 pm
Old May 10, 2017, 10:19 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Simon
Electricity for one. Maybe also indoor plumbing but not sure about that.
Old May 11, 2017, 2:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Is the time coming airlines will required you to be 18 before you can fly by yourself? AC should have gotten the kid a hotel room, but it is crazy who ever put him on the first flight, didn't make sure the kid had money to eat. Even if he made it to TBay as sked, he would have to have eating somewhere.
Old May 11, 2017, 4:00 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by rangerns
"god, why did you not help me?"

"what do you mean, my child? I offered you omw insurance. I offered you unaccompanied minor service. I offered you a credit card with built in insurance. I offered you third party insurance."
hey you kids get off my lawn!!!!!
​​​​​​​
Old May 11, 2017, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Don't you mean HKG? A lot of SIN is old.
Yes, touché, but in a couple of months terminal 4 will open and SIN will be the newest again.

At least in SIN t​​​he kid could have gone to the game consol area, LAN gaming area, or movie theatre for free...
Old May 11, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Yes, touché, but in a couple of months terminal 4 will open and SIN will be the newest again.

At least in SIN t​​​he kid could have gone to the game consol area, LAN gaming area, or movie theatre for free...
The kid would probably miss his flight at SIN, because of the amenities you mentioned

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.