Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC: Air Canada leaves teen 'trapped' alone overnight at Toronto's Pearson airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC: Air Canada leaves teen 'trapped' alone overnight at Toronto's Pearson airport

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Guava
Willful endangerment of a minor, failure in duty of care.

Using AC's public response as proof it deliberately tries to wash its hands, further argue the airline deserve punitive damage to prevent it from repeating such egregious behavior.
Don't lawsuits need to be based on actual realized damages? IANAL but you've said might be be criminal and would say something about blame, but wouldn't lead to a number for damages AFAIK.
Old May 12, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by eigenvector
I think the age isn't that important. It could just as well have been a confused 70-year-old with only rudimentary English skills. Since AC airport agents were evidently still working at whatever hour of the day this was, they should have assisted to the extent reasonably possible rather than telling junior to get lost.
Human compassion is decidedly absent from this story. Not always about the rules.

No one has mentioned child welfare issues (legal perspective) since the young man was <16 years at the time of the incident. This is the age identified in the Child and Services Act (ON).

Ammendment: just saw the post a few up about child protection).
Old May 12, 2017, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Don't lawsuits need to be based on actual realized damages? IANAL but you've said might be be criminal and would say something about blame, but wouldn't lead to a number for damages AFAIK.
Some thoughts, as a layperson (I also ANAL):
Since the connection point was in Canada, it was there that any injury would be deemed to have occurred, so one assumes Canadian law, not American, would prevail(?)

The following is from a site in Australia, but may have a bearing nonetheless. It purports to explain the nature of the legal duties owed by teachers and school staff towards students :

http://www.education.vic.gov.au/scho...utyofcare.aspx

In order to successfully bring a claim in negligence for compensation for an injury, a person must establish, on the balance of probabilities, that:

a duty of care was owed to the person harmed at the time of the injury
the risk of injury was foreseeable
the likelihood of the injury occurring was more than insignificant
there was a breach of the duty of care or a failure to observe a reasonable standard of care
this breach or failure was a cause of the injury.

The fact that a duty of care exists does not of itself mean that a school [***or airline ? ***] will be liable for an injury sustained by a student. In order for the student to succeed in a negligence claim, all of these elements must be established.

A duty of care was arguably owed by AC BUT when it comes to any injury, I wonder:

Pearson airport, not AC, is responsible for security and other services of the airport.

Past experience reveals airports to be places where people have had to spend many hours of time, sometimes overnight if delays are extensive and hotels are full (or the patron elects not to go to the hotel.) Unless Pearson airport has a known reputation for being particularly dangerous, i.e more dangerous than a kid's hanging around a hotel lobby, say, AC could argue that the foreseeable risk of injury was not more than insignificant. (?)

Some part of the distress was owing to the length of the delay, which is only somewhat predictable by even meteorologists or ATC (weather forecasting is still an inexact science, plus AC is not the only airline using Pearson, so how long any specific flight is delayed, is not always easy to predict.)

So the 'cause' of any injury a judge might hold to be attributable to many factors, not just AC. ?

Last edited by simpleflyer; May 12, 2017 at 8:25 am
Old May 12, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My point was that I don't think there was an injury.

Maybe the kid was hungry, but he should have been able to fix that: he should have had cash or a (possibly prepaid) credit card with which he could purchase food during the trip.
Old May 12, 2017, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
What if this was a 17.95 year old or an 18.1 year old?
Easy. If it's a 17.95 year-old, I hold AC's feet to the fire for failing to uphold their own promises about helping minors. If it's an 18.1-year old, then we can return to our usual FT bickering about what AC should have done or not done due to situation that is arguably not 100% black-and-white "under AC's control"/"not under AC's control".

Edit: yes, it's an arbitrary boundary, but so's everything age-related with driver's licenses, drinking, 1.99-year old "infants" on laps, etc. The line will get drawn somewhere.
Old May 12, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
What the child "should have had" is irrelevant. AC did not make its service conditional on having cash or credit cards for emergency purposes. They could very well do so, but did not. Making OMW mandatory is a good idea for these travellers, but also not in force.

AC does not make direct-flight-only UM service mandatory age 12-17, and nevertheless does explicitly commit to helping out older UMs on connections. Despite this, they apparently did not help him either proactively (using their passenger data to note that a minor would misconnect requiring some intervention) nor on request (by the minor asking for help).

It is entirely possible that they passenger and surrogates are exaggerating for effect, but sometimes it takes this to get attention. AC relies far too much on "no blood no foul" level of service to vulnerable passengers.

However, using that negotiating talk to disparage the passenger seems unfair as does a lot of the woulda shoulda coulda comments. Those counterfactuals are good advice for someone trying to avoid experiencing the kid's situation in the future. However those do not change what did happen and how scary it was for him. As I previously posted, it's not for anyone else to determine how scared is the right amount of scared for a vulnerable person in this situation, and he is entitled to feel as scared as he felt, and he is entitled to gild the lily if needed to get Mother's attention. We complain about cold nuts and missing kitkats and email executives over offences as small as being smirked at by uniformed personnel when stumbling in public areas of the airport.

That said, we should all take some comfort that the kid will never forget or dismiss the need to plan for irrops on his future travels.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by boymimbo
- The kid could not be an unaccompanied minor due to the availability only on direct flights.
This has been mentioned a few times. I think it's clear to point out that while he was not eligible for UM service, he was absolutely an "unaccompanied" "minor".

Originally Posted by expert7700
This article makes me want to do a test booking for 8yroldsuperelite.

Should he arrange unaccompanied travel by calling the concierge? (I guess that would be one way to help ensure Toronto VIP service!). He can do Global Entry and Nexus forms or kiosks on his own.

I would need to show him how to use expertflyer in case there are irrops...
Let me know when that's happening and I'll tag along to watch

That doesn't sound creepy.
Old May 12, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by flyquiet
That said, we should all take some comfort that the kid will never forget or dismiss the need to plan for irrops on his future travels.

That said, we should all take some comfort that the kid wasn't harmed or hurt as well. Anytime a minor asks for help you would think a responsible adult would do something to assist him/her. He was turned away by multiple AC employees, some who (correctly) told him which desk could help him and others who (termination offence IMHO) told him they were unable to assist.
Old May 12, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by The smallest state
That said, we should all take some comfort that the kid wasn't harmed or hurt as well. Anytime a minor asks for help you would think a responsible adult would do something to assist him/her. He was turned away by multiple AC employees, some who (correctly) told him which desk could help him and others who (termination offence IMHO) told him they were unable to assist.
If you read my whole post and previous post, you see I agree with you.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:37 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by flyquiet
If you read my whole post and previous post, you see I agree with you.
Agreed 100 percent.

If only AC cared about this boy like the people of FT do/did.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by The smallest state
Agreed 100 percent.

If only AC cared about this boy like the people of FT do/did.
Then AC would not be AC lol
Old May 12, 2017, 11:45 pm

Picture an AC gate agent on the shore shouting............."did you parents order Unaccompanied Minor?????"

Old May 13, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by eigenvector
I'll be the first person to confess I have no idea about the 192 bus or Link option from YYZ. I can count the number of times I've left the terminal there on one hand, and each time was met by a friend in a car at the curb.

I think Transpacificflyer mentioned many food outlets close at 23:00, so I don't doubt your late night experience. But the teen in our tale arrived much earlier and did have sufficient time to find grub.

Re: ice, yes I've seen the same helplessness in the face of that thing called winter. Is the 'warmer climate' to which you refer actually Victoria itself?

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Your comments about abandonment are completely valid in the case of an accompanied minor. But this kid wasn't in Air Canada or anybody else's care. He was traveling independently and thus no obligation or duty exists, does it? We can agree that basic levels of human compassion and customer service are expected. If he was abandoned anywhere, it was by his guardian back in Denver. The airline can be crucified for its apparent unwillingness to assist, but I don't subscribe to the abandonment theory.

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; May 13, 2017 at 7:07 am
Old May 13, 2017, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Wrong.
The laws in respect to duty of care and duty of the reasonable person have been in effect for over a century. They have been tested and upheld. They reflect society's views. The child was left to his own devices. He was abandoned by Air Canada. The law holds that the passenger was a minor. Society still holds that the passenger was a child. It was negligent to abandon the minor. It does not matter if the child was in the right or wrong because the law and society required the legal person Air Canada to behave in a responsible manner in respect to the child. Again you try to push the latitude of acceptance by using the term inconvenience. Wrong. When a child is left unattended in a public place it is an endangerment. This is what the courts hold and it reflects society's views. You do not agree. Fine. In Canada we have child labour laws too.

Again you make wild assumptions about over parenting. All that which you argue is worthless. It has no relevance to the central issue which is that the child was abandoned at Canada's largest airport. The child was not left alone for a few hours. He was abandoned by the airline when it would not provide a connecting flight without a delay of 2 days.
THIS A THOUSAND TIMES OVER. And do not scoff at the danger and vulnerability. This teenager publicly asked for help and did not receive it. What if a stranger overheard him, heard the refusal, and then offered to "help" the boy by offering a hotel room? As a journalist for four decades, I've heard too many variations of the vulnerable teen story to dismiss such a possibility. I'm talking about variations with nightmare endings.
Old May 13, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
But this kid wasn't in Air Canada or anybody else's care. He was traveling independently and thus no obligation or duty exists, does it?
This is been mentioned often enough, but it obviously bears repeating: AC's policy specifically states that it will look after passengers 12-17 traveling alone. I'm not going to dig up the actual wording of the policy but it's probably been quoted a dozen times upthread.

The airline absolutely had both the obligation and duty to look after this kid. And they didn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.