Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC: Dad, 2 young kids ordered off Air Canada plane after mother turned away at gate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC: Dad, 2 young kids ordered off Air Canada plane after mother turned away at gate

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA, AC
I see the story headline and copy were amended to read "ordered off" instead of "pulled off".

I'm tempted to wade into this debate but it seems pointless when there's no way of knowing what happened. It's pretty safe to assume that this CBC reporter has mangled and misrepresented the facts.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:29 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by After Burner
I'm tempted to wade into this debate but it seems pointless when there's no way of knowing what happened. It's pretty safe to assume that this CBC reporter has mangled and misrepresented the facts.
Hey, since this happened in February, I guess it's still breaking news and the reporter is actively working the story. Or not.

What's next - AC runs out of gas near Gimili?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by After Burner
I see the story headline and copy were amended to read "ordered off" instead of "pulled off".

One term is better understood (or, shall I say, less misunderstood) than the other, but I would deem either one acceptable. But, with the context/backdrop of the violent UA incident, I can see an editor saying, "hey, wait a minute..."

"Pulled off" is used to mean "removed from", "deleted from", "stricken from" as in a change of a schedule. It doesn't have to mean that anyone touched anyone else. In work schedules, people can be pulled off one shift and put onto another.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Hey, since this happened in February, I guess it's still breaking news and the reporter is actively working the story. Or not.

What's next - AC runs out of gas near Gimili?
IMHO looks like CBC has a stash of stories as customers seem to have contacted them enmasse after the first 1-2 stories. This one is dragging because AC took six weeks to respond and has still not closed off on compensation.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by vernonc
IMHO looks like CBC has a stash of stories as customers seem to have contacted them enmasse after the first 1-2 stories. This one is dragging because AC took six weeks to respond and has still not closed off on compensation.
LMAO
You just listed out the first perfect explanation why it took so long for this story to come into light.

Gotta wait for dat email reply first LOL LOL LOL
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
If it was indeed an AA ticketing problem like I suspected, AC owes them no compensation except perhaps a small apology for inconvenience. CBC has a habit of NOT investigating the root cause.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by YYT82
If it was indeed an AA ticketing problem like I suspected, AC owes them no compensation except perhaps a small apology for inconvenience. CBC has a habit of NOT investigating the root cause.
None of us knows whether AA screwed up on not ticketing onto AC correctly or if AC messed up. Currently both airlines are pointing at each other. Where this became a bigger story is supposedly the AC GA pulling them off after boarding, telling them 'not our problem', six weeks for AC to respond to the complaint and not closing off the case incl any minimal compensation. In other words making a bad situation worse.
Re CBC - root cause or not, these hardship stories where the big bad corporation screwed the small sad lonely consumer sells. Not limited to CBC.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

None of us knows whether AA screwed up on not ticketing onto AC correctly or if AC messed up. Currently both airlines are pointing at each other. Where this became a bigger story is supposedly the AC GA pulling them off after boarding, telling them 'not our problem', six weeks for AC to respond to the complaint and not closing off the case incl any minimal compensation. In other words making a bad situation worse.
Re CBC - root cause or not, these hardship stories where the big bad corporation screwed the small sad lonely consumer sells. Not limited to CBC.
Except AC claims they did not pulled them off the flight, they decided to stay with the mother. So who knows? Too many conflicting stories, where are the facts?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Except AC claims they did not pulled them off the flight, they decided to stay with the mother. So who knows? Too many conflicting stories, where are the facts?
On that I agree. Who knows ? Though the three of them had already boarded and strapped in to their seats so seems a bit odd that they would then leave to stay with the mother.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
So what does this mean. They have been waiting at the airport for six weeks while AC and AA figure out who is responsible for issuing them a ticket. The problem must have been long resolved and what is left at this stage is who takes responsibility in the press.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
For the record I think AC is an OKAY airline, an amazing one for J(every service I have received in J have been just impeccable), even most of the FAs in Y are friendly.

But.. when poop hits the fan, AC seems to never rise to the occasion for Y paxes. The service in IRROPs and baggage handling is dismal, the email form is laughable and there are so.. so many ways they can improve the existing system that will actually DECREASE THE HUMAN COST & Damage to their brand.

This is just another one of them.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by MADPhil
Actually it would be 41 people to pick a nit.
Thanks, Added too many zeros in copying from my calculator - but reinforces my point - what is an acceptable error rate?

If we go by Very few reports over the last year, maybe a dozen articles by CBC, multiplied by factor of 1,000 to be generous to reflect the really messy IDB problems out there we don't know about - put that up against 41 million passengers that by and large get to their destination as scheduled or VDB too.

For those of you in business, or have a family, or other important personal commitments, how many errors do you make every single day?

The desire for perfection is admirable, but in the commercial aviation world, full of staff who are real people who make errors just like you and I, weather, broken airplanes that need to be replaced with something smaller, Aand myriad of other problems in running such a complex enterprise, give me a break at the level of hysteria.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
For the record I think AC is an OKAY airline, an amazing one for J(every service I have received in J have been just impeccable), even most of the FAs in Y are friendly.

But.. when poop hits the fan, AC seems to never rise to the occasion for Y paxes. The service in IRROPs and baggage handling is dismal, the email form is laughable and there are so.. so many ways they can improve the existing system that will actually DECREASE THE HUMAN COST & Damage to their brand.

This is just another one of them.
They just can't win either way. From a business perspective if this is AA's issue with ticketing, you can't blame AC for pulling the family --- they wouldn't get paid. Good luck dealing with that after the fact.

Westjet is no better. They might play nice in the press and do their cute giveaways and videos, but I've seen them many times for many people I know be real idiots and jerks for someone 1 pound over the limit. Why? Because staff are shareholders too --- and guess what --- those extra fees help increase their profit sharing cheques.

End of day this is a business and this stuff happens with every airline. If ou wanted perfect service all the time, pay a premium, book in J, fly private, etc.

It's unfortunate we are in the day and age of internet keyboard warriors who love to book rock bottom fares but expect caviar dreams.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by skybluesea
The desire for perfection is admirable, but in the commercial aviation world, full of staff who are real people who make errors just like you and I, weather, broken airplanes that need to be replaced with something smaller, Aand myriad of other problems in running such a complex enterprise, give me a break at the level of hysteria.
Exactly! I would be far more concerned with getting to my location safely in one piece
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by jazzsax

End of day this is a business and this stuff happens with every airline. If ou wanted perfect service all the time, pay a premium, book in J, fly private, etc.

It's unfortunate we are in the day and age of internet keyboard warriors who love to book rock bottom fares but expect caviar dreams.
Definitely, and then we have media as a result of really inexpensive ways of sharing information these days, have much reduced investigative journalism, and likely CBC just searching social media for the low hanging fruit.

Where is all the reporting that says IRROPS happened, airlines successfully managed challenge…not likely to hear this, and with 41 million passengers, getting it right MOST of the time in the face all these challenges is pretty good in my view.

Must really be slow news day at the grand old CBC, needing to prove their existence at the government teat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.